Hit things, lift things, drink beer.

07/05/2021:

Muay Thai:

Sparring class tonight. Warmed up with 3 x 5-minute rounds of clinch. Went with guys who were bigger than me, including my old buddy Richie, who was in Auckland visiting. Dude's had quite a lot of fights, including in Thailand, so actually knows what he's doing. It's nice to be outperformed. After that, straight into freestyle sparring for 3-minute rounds. Lost track of how many rounds we did, but it was quite a few. Got some good work in. Finished with 200 knees on the bag.

08/05/2021:

Muay Thai:

Sparring again this morning after taking classes. 3-minute rounds, short breaks in between, untimed, but mainly 30 seconds or less. Some good technical rounds today, including a couple of rounds of just boxing. About 8 rounds total.

09/05/2021:

Strength:

Warmed up with some good mobility work again. Working on hip mobility and thoracic rotation, as well as shoulder mobility/lat and pec flexibility.

Deadlifts:
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 5
140kg x 3
160kg x 3 x 3
First time deadlifting (or doing any heavy pulling) since thumb surgery. Went well.

Bench:
40kg x 8
50kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 6 x 3

Chest-supported row:
20kg x 15
30kg x 12 x 3

Half-hang unilateral knees to elbows:
BW x 20, 16 reps
These are basically hanging halfway in the pull-up position, then bringing one knee up to one elbow and back down, then the other side again.

17/05/2021:

Strength and conditioning:

Paused squat:
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 3
110kg x 2 x 4

Squat:
100kg x 6 x 3

Pull-ups:
BW x 8, 7, 6, 5, 7 reps (33 total)

One-arm DB bench:
20kg x 8/side
26kg x 8/side x 3

L-sit (parallettes):
3 sets to failure

Pallof press:
13.75kg x 10/side x 2

Assault bike sprints:
60 second warm-up
10 seconds max effort
20 seconds recovery
Repeat for 8 sets/4 minutes

Assault bike sprints are fucking horrible. That's all I have to say about that. Looking forward to some sparring tonight.

In non-personal news, our boy had his first amateur fight this weekend, jumping straight to fighting with no shin pads. After a long, hard training camp, putting in the hours, doing all the extras, Jackie came away with a first-round TKO via leg kicks, maybe only about 30 seconds in. In all honesty, would have liked to see him grind out a full fight, but there's no way to be unhappy about a 1st round stoppage on a debut fight.

Had a run through/overview of my training programme on Saturday. It's the basic template I'll be following for the next 6 weeks. The schedule is basically:

Monday: Unilateral strength work
Tuesday: Pulmonary conditioning + core work
Wednesday: Power/ballistic exercises
Thursday: Aerobic capacity
Friday: Bilateral strength
Saturday: Aerobic capacity
Sunday: Rest

A lot of the focus is on stability/anti-rotation work. There's still a good bit of max effort work in there, but it's very mainly a holistic approach to things. Lots of prehab/rehab work, correcting movement patterns, and getting everything working together well. Looking forward to seeing how this all goes.

26/05/2021:

Strength:

Trap bar deadlift:
60kg x 6
100kg x 6
140kg x 5
160kg x 3 x 3

Bench press:
40kg x 6
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3 x 4

Chin-up:
BW x 6 (chest to bar)
12kg x 5 x 3
BW x 6 (chest to bar)

Goblet squat:
16kg x 12 x 3

Light on the goblet squats, trying to stick to the modifications to posture and technique. Weight should go up quickly enough.

31/05/2021:

First day on the new plan today. Warm-up is as follows:
Bird-dog single arm row x 10/side
Suitcase carry x 60s/side
Ab rollout x 10
T-spine wall rotations x 3/3 facing each direction
KB windmill x 5/side
KB bottom's-up press x 8/side
Hip airplanes x 3/side
Walking lunges w/ 2-sec sprinter pose x 12
Single leg RDL @ BW x 6/side

Actual strength workout (unilateral focus):

Half-kneeling single-arm landmine press:
Bar x 8/side
15kg x 8/side x 3

Walking lunges w/sprinter pose:
8kg x 6/side x 3
Starting light on these to really focus on the technique my coach wants for me - hard flex of the quad and squeeze of the glute at lockout on the supporting leg.

Weighted chin-up:
BW x 6
12kg x 6
8kg x 6 x 2

Single-leg RDL:
20kg x 8/side x 3

KB suitcase carry:
24kg x 60s/side x 3
superset
Single-arm bird dog row:
12kg x 10/side x 3
Will bump this up to 16kg next week.

This is pretty clearly a very different approach to my usual, but so far so good. Enjoyable, and technically challenging. Looking forward to seeing how we can piece things all together as time goes on.

01/06/2021:

Conditioning - pulmonary conditioning

Asssault bike
4 minute warm-up
20s max effort while maintaining deep, controlled, diaphragmatic breathing
10s rest
Repeat for 16 sets/8 minutes
2 minutes active recovery
10s rest
Repeat for 16 sets/8 minutes
Finish

This was an interesting challenge. The objective here was working at max effort within the breathing parameters, focusing on drawing in deep, full breaths through the nose, then out through the mouth, aiming for maximum expansion of the lungs on each inward breath. Definitely the limiting factor in terms of the intensity I could achieve. Focus here is improved pulmonary ability, being able to get in a greater volume of air each breath while in a fatigued state. Still just good general conditioning as well.

02/06/2021:

Strength/power:

Warm-up:
High plank pull-through, 16kg x 6/side
Suitcase carry, 28kg x 60s/side
Barbell rollout x 10
Hip airlplanes x 4/side
Single leg RDL, 20kg x 8/side
KB lat pull-over, 20kg x 6, focus on lat stretch, straight arms
T-spine windmills x 3/3 each side
KB bottoms-up press, 8kg x 6/side x 2

Broad jump:
4 reps x 3 sets. Focus on stable landing and force absorption.

Lateral single-leg jumps:
4/side x 3 sets

Single leg box jump:
65cm x 4/leg x 3 sets

Plyometric push-up:
5 x 4 sets

One-armed med ball twist throw:
3kg x 6/side x 3 sets

Superset:
Suitcase carry, 24kg x 60 seconds/side
Bird dog row, 16kg x 10/side
Ab rollout, 10 reps
Repeat superset 3 times, 60 - 90s rest between

05/06/2021:

Strength:

Trap bar deadlift:
60kg x 6
100kg x 6
130kg x 6
150kg x 6 x 3

Bench press:
Bar x 10
40kg x 6
50kg x 6
60kg x 6 x 3

Goblet cyclist squat:
32kg x 8 x 3

Incline DB row:
12kg x 10 x 3

Superset:
Ab rollout x 10
High-plank pull-through, 16kg x 6/side
Plank hold, 60s
Rest for a minute, then repeat circuit through for 3 rounds total

07/06/2021:

Muay Thai:

Ran through a couple of conditioning drills on the bag today, both done with the help of a heart rate monitor. Warmed up with some shadow boxing, working to around 140bpm. From there, first drill:

Bag work, max output, 10s
Shadow box for active recovery, 50s
Repeat for 8 x rounds

Similar to a lot of power output drills, the focus is just on 10s of maximum output, doing as much work as possible, and then recovering. Last few sets I was pushing up to and over 180bpm at the end of each 10 second interval. Had a break for a couple of minutes for recovery, then into some aerobic power intervals.

Bag work, 2 minutes, target HR 165bpm
60s recovery, focusing on dropping HR as low as possible.
Repeat x 8 rounds

Higher-end aerobic output and recovery was the focus here. I found it difficult to keep my heart rate at a low enough level, it's very easy to creep over 170 without thinking about it. Was able to get recovery HR back to around 130bpm or just under each break. Minimal recovery we want is 125, with going down as close to 100bpm as possible being the goal. Lots to work on for aerobic capacity - LISS training feels like it needs to be my bread and butter to improve here.

16/06/2021:

Warmed up with:
Bird-dog single arm row x 10/side @ 16kg
Suitcase carry x 60s/side @ 28kg
Ab rollout x 10
KB windmill x 5/side @ 12kg
KB bottom's-up press x 8/side @8kg
Hip airplanes x 3/side

Then:

Half-kneeling one-arm landmine press:
15kg x 8/side x 3

Walking lunge w/ sprinter pose:
16kg/side x 6/leg x 3

Chin-ups:
BW x 6
8kg x 6, 6, 5 reps
These felt really weak today. Sacrificed weight and reps to focus on a slower descent, as well as full extension/relaxation on the bottom as well.

Single-leg RDL:
24kg x 8/leg x 3

Superset:
Suitcase carry, 24kg x 60s/side
Bird-dog row, 16kg x 10/side
Feeling a little less wobbly than these were before. Yucky though, still.

17/06/2021:

Conditioning:

Pulmonary conditioning. After a good, long walk to the gym, jumped on the assault bike.

2 minutes warm-up, easy pace.
10s rest
Repeat x 16 rounds
10s rest
Repeat x 16 rounds
End

This workout sucks, ngl. Kept an eye on my HR throughout the duration of it. First set of rounds was mainly hovering around 140-145bpm, then recovered down to 90 during 2-minute rest period. During second set, HR rose to more around 145-155 across the rounds. Last set had me pushing 170bpm at the end of it. Average HR across the 20 minutes was 134bpm, including both the warm-up and rest/recovery periods.

I'm really shit at updating this.

22/06/2021:

Strength (unilateral):

Warm-up:
Bird-dog single arm row x 10/side @ 16kg
Suitcase carry x 60s/side @ 28kg
Ab rollout x 10
KB windmill x 5/side @ 12kg
KB bottom's-up press x 8/side @12kg
Hip airplanes x 3/side

16.25kg x 8/side x 3

Walking lunges w/2-sec sprinter pose:
20kg/side x 6/leg x 3

Chin-ups:
BW x 8
12kg x 6, 5 reps
8kg x 5 reps

Single-leg RDL:
20kg x 8/side x 3
Lighter weight this week to focus on positioning my hip correctly, keeping it in line rather than letting it rotate out, particularly while lowering.

Didn't quite have time for the bird-dog rows and suitcase carry here- will hit them before pulmonary conditioning tomorrow.

23/06/2021:

Superset:
Suitcase carry, 24kg x 60s/side
Bird-dog single arm row, 20kg x 8/side
3 supersets
This was to make up finishing off what I was supposed to have done yesterday evening. Will keep bird-dog rows at same weight and try focus on increasing stability as I move forward. Suitcase carries can go heavier though.

Pulmonary conditioning: assault bike

3 minutes warm-up, easy pace.
10s rest
Repeat x 16 rounds
10s rest
Repeat x 16 rounds
End

Max HR 164. Average HR 135bpm. Recovered to as low as 90bpm during the active recovery portion. HR averaged 145ish during first series of rounds, and again 150-155ish during second series of rounds. Definitely always a challenge to maintain slow breathing in through nose and out through mouth, and especially drawing it down deep.

24/06/2021

Muay Thai:

I got started on some S&C at the gym, but wound up getting fucked off with how busy it was, so threw my toys out the cot and went down to the Thai boxing gym a bit earlier than intended. Warmed up, then a few rounds of drills on the bags, then onto pad rounds. Rounds were about 4 minutes in length, working a set combination each one. After first round, 10 kick-knee-kick-knee each leg. After 2nd round, 20 kicks each leg. After 3rd round, 40 marching kicks, left-right, Thai style. Finished with a few rounds of core work and then 100 knees.

28/06/2021:

Muay Thai

Sparring night tonight. Warmed up with some jogging on the mats, calisthenics, and shadow boxing. After that, a couple of rounds of practicing spinning techniques- backfists and spinning back kicks. Literally the most spinning kicks I have ever thrown in my life - I'm much too plain ol' meat and potatoes for things like that normally. From there, into sparring- I think it was a total of 8 x 3-minute rounds, 60 seconds break in between. This was the end of class. From here, held back the guys who are fighting or want to fight soon to do some extras. Everyone all in the ring, clinched for 2 x 8-minute rounds, swapping partners every minute. One minute of break between each of the rounds. From there, 50 kicks each leg, then 10 single power kicks each leg as well. Finished with 3 sets of 20 push-ups and 30 sit-ups each, with either a Thai pad or a punch to the body at the bottom of each rep.

29/06/2021:

Strength:

Warm-up:
Suitcase carry, 32kg x 60s/side
High plank pull-through, 28kg x 6/side
KB lat pull-over, 16kg x 6
KB bottoms-up press, 12kg x 8/side
Dyna band face pulls w/ 2-second pause, 15 reps
Hip airplanes x 4/side
Single-leg RDL, 20kg x 6/side
Goblet cyclist squat, 24kg x 8

Trap bar deadlift:
60kg x 6
100kg x 6
140kg x 6
155kg x 6 x 3

Incline DB row:
14kg x 10 x 3

All I had time for this evening after work before going to teach Thai boxing for the rest of the evening. Will finish strength exercises before conditioning tomorrow.

30/06/2020:

Strength:

Finishing up yesterday's workout:

Bench press (3-sec eccentric):
40kg x 6
50kg x 6
60kg x 6
65kg x 6 x 3

Goblet squat:
40kg x 8 x 3
3-sec eccentric, focus on initiating from the knees rather than hips first, stacking pelvis under ribcage.

Superset:
Ab rollouts, 10 reps
High plank pull-through, 24kg x 6/side
Plank hold, 60 seconds
Rest, repeat for 3 rounds total.

Boxing:

Warmed up with a few drills using gloves as pads, going 5 sets of a combination each, alternating back and forth for a few rounds, changing combo/drill each round. From there, into some pad rounds on the focus mitts. Drills mainly revolved around using the jab to establish length/distance, then following with a combo and/or a counter to a reply from the pad holder. After all rounds done, sets of calisthenics mixed with pad drills to burn out before switching over. One hour of training tonight and then high-tailed it out because my anxiety had me feeling nervous and shaky for the past few hours, and I didn't feel that sparring would necessarily be the best idea when I can't relax.

01/07/2021:

Conditioning:

Low-intensity steady-state run, fasted, first thing in the morning. 6.88km. Trying to keep HR around 145-155bpm for the duration. 45:40, 6:38 average pace. This will come down pretty quick again soon. Going to keep aiming for same HR and bring the time down with it.

Muay Thai:

Session for fighters and up-and-coming fighters tonight. Decided to make this a weekly thing at least, so that our fighters actually have a chance to do what they need to and train how fighters should. Very typical, traditional training session. Warmed up with 5 minutes of skipping, 5 minutes of shadow boxing, then 3 x 5-minute bag rounds. After that, freestyle pad rounds, 5 x 3-minute rounds. Had 3 guys holding, 3 guys working. Guys who were hitting rotated to a new pad holder after each round. 45 seconds rest between each round. After, clinching. Shark tanked the two guys who have fights booked in- they stayed in and worked for 6-minute rounds, rotating to a fresh partner each minute. The 4 guys helping rotated in and out each minute. 1 minute of rest between each 6-minute round. Finished the night with 2 sets of 50 kicks each leg. Everybody died. It was good.

04/07/2021:

Strength:

Warm-up:
Bird-dog single-arm row, 24kg x 10/side
KB suitcase carry, 32kg x 60s/side
Ab rollouts, 10 reps
T-spine wall windmills, 3/side facing each direction
KB windmill, 16kg x 5/side
Hip airplanes, 3/side
Single-leg lateral hop, 4/side
Walking lunges w/sprinter pose, 6/side
BW single-leg RDL, 6/side

17.5kg x 8/side x 3

Walking lunges w/ 2-sec sprinter pose:
24kg/side x 6/side x 3

Chin-ups:
BW x 8
8kg x 6
12kg x 5, 6 reps
8kg x 6 reps

KB single-leg RDL:
24kg x 8/side x 3

Superset:
KB suitcase carry, 60s/side @ 32kg
Bird-dog single arm row, 10/side @ 20kg
Repeat for 3 sets

Things overall felt pretty good today, asides from a strain deep in the lower half of my right oblique. Impacted things a little bit, in particular was noticeable on chin-ups.

Back