Goblet squat:
42kg x 8 x 3

Incline DB bench row:
14kg x 10 x 3

Superset:
Ab rollout (barbell), 10 reps
High-plank pull-through, 24kg x 6/side
Plank hold, 60s
90s rest between supersets. Repeat 3 times total.

Just a quick note to say that focusing on eccentrics with all lifts sucks, but especially deadlifts. This noise can get rekt. Not too long until we change direction on the programming though.

10/07/2021:

Muay Thai

Jumped in on the Saturday morning class. A few Dutch-style drills with a partner first, then a few rounds of pads, switching pads after each round. Rounds were of a single long combo, but changing the rhythm and intensity of each strike with each time going through the combo. Each pad round finished with sets of 30 kicks. From there, a few rounds of some core work and other conditoning drills. After class, freestyle sparring. Sparred for nearly an hour in total? Most rounds had me focusing on actually thinking about what I was doing and trying to be efficient, but last round was more playful. Final round on video here:

13/07/2021:

Muay Thai:

Warmed up with 5 minutes of skipping, then 5 minutes of shadow. After that, 2 x 5-minute rounds on a wall-mounted uppercut box, working on just some basic boxing. From there, finished with another 2 x 5-minute rounds on a heavy bag. All I had time for this evening before having to teach classes for 3 hours or so.

15/07/2021:

Muay Thai:

Fighters' training tonight. Warmed up with 5 minutes of skipping, then 5 minutes of shadow. After, 3 x 5-minute bag rounds. I went from a round on a kickbag, to a round working on just boxing and elbows, focusing on elbows mainly, to a round on the kickbag again. From there, we partnered up. 4 x 4-minute pad rounds, rotating pad holder each round, and finishing with 30 fast power kicks each leg before swapping over. From here, rotating rounds, working for 2 minutes with the same partner, doing one minute of boxing sparring, and then one minute of clinch sparring, then a 10-second break to rotate partners. Carried this drill on for 8 rounds, non-stop. Finished the session with 200 knees, 50 push-ups, and 100 sit-ups. Total time training was 1 hour and 45 minutes. Real stoked to have a good group all in just working on pushing and developing each other. Glad that I don't have to hold anyone's hand for these sessions, I can trust them to work, which means I can do all the work myself as well.

19/07/2021:

Muay Thai:

Warmed up with about 5 minutes of skipping, then some shadow. From there, onto a few rounds on the bag. Focusing on turning more into everything I'm throwing at the moment- kicks, punches, whatever. Really trying to drive the shoulder on whichver thing I'm throwing. After a few bag rounds, another round of shadow boxing before sparring class started.
Sparring class started with a 5-minute warm-up running around the gym with a few exercises interspersed. After that, straight into a round of freestyle sparring. After the first round, the trainer leading the class got us moving into a couple of partner drills, throwing combinations while focusing on either moving forward or backwards while still throwing. After a few rounds of those drills, back into freestyle sparring. I stayed in the ring, and got sent a fresh partner each round. Still doing my best to think properly during rounds, instead of just playing with people. Our other trainer said he's noticed, and that I look smoother. Hopefully we can keep the ball rolling. Finished with a few sets of counter/body conditoning drills.

20/07/2021:

Strength:

Warm-up:

Birddog rows, 10/side @ 20kg
KB suitcase carry, 60s/side @ 32kg
Ab rollout, 10 reps
T-spine wall windmills, 3/side, facing each direction
KB T-spine windmills, 6/side @16kg
KB bottom's-up presses, 8/side @ 8kg
Hip airplanes, 3/side
Walking lunge w/ sprinter pose, 6/side
Single-leg lateral hop, 4/side
Single-leg RDK, 6/side @ BW

Half-kneeling single-arm landmine press:
17.5kg x 8/side x 3
Feeling comfortable-ish. Might bump weight up next week.

Walking lunge w/ 2-sec sprinter pose:
24kg/hand x 6/side x 3

Chin-ups:
BW x 8
8kg x 6
12kg x 6 x 2
20kg x 3 x 2

Single-leg RDL:
24kg x 8/side x 3
Still focusing on nailing a 3-sec eccentric phase on these.

Conditioning:

LISS run after work. 6.69km. Total time 39:44, average split 5:57/km. Average HR 151bpm, max HR 171bpm. Uphill sections got the heart rate right up - tried to slow down and mitigate that as much as possible, but it crept up fairly quickly regardless. Cut this run a little short and walked the last short leg home because I could feel blisters developing under my feet. Feeling like not too bad a base to build on at the moment - LISS is something I've really neglected for... a long time.
Fun thing as well - the day after a good run, I always wake up looking much leaner. I don't know what it is, but running just has that effect on me. It's also immeasurably helpful for weight control as well. Just gotta keep plugging along (in a few days, once this blister recovers).

21/07/2021:

Conditioning:

Pulmonary conditioning

Assault bike. 2 minute easy warm-up, and then:
20 seconds max effort while maintaining deep, controlled, diaphragmatic breathing.
10 seconds rest
Repeat for 16 rounds/8 minutes, then 2 minutes easy/recovery
20 seconds max effort while maintaining deep, controlled, diaphragmatic breathing.
10 seconds rest
Cool down

Getting better at this. Able to maintain a slightly higher cadence during the intervals than previously.

Boxing:

Sparring class. Warmed up a bit, mainly on the bag or helping other students due to odd numbers. Started into sparring after half an hour. First two rounds were jabs only, next round was any technique, but again, lead hand only. From there, 2 minute rounds of freestyle sparring. Last round or two, focus was purely on work rate. Some of these sneaky young fellas are landed a few goodies on me last night. So, going to start doing weekly boxing pad rounds with our boxing trainer. Gotta get better at these things again if I want to fight.

Any idea of when you may fight again?

Honestly? As soon as I feel ready. Hopefully in a couple of months. Really finding a groove in my training again, and slowly feeling more in shape. I think the main thing is going to be making sure that I can just get my weight to within a comfortable range. I can usually lean up fairly well without putting a huge emphasis on diet - as long as I train hard, and eat relatively well, I should start dropping weight, and once back to walking around at 74 - 75ish, I'll be more than happy to take whatever comes my way. Just gotta keep ticking things along, and bring the running up a bit more as well.

22/07/2021:

Strength - plyometrics

Warm-up:
High-plank pull-through, 6/side at 28kg
KB suitcase carry, 60s/side at 28kg
Ab rollout, 10 reps
Hip airplanes, 4/side
Single-leg RDL, 6/side at 20kg
Lat pull-over, 6 at 20kg
T-spine wall windmills, 3/side both directions
KB bottoms-up press, 6/side for 2 sets at 8kg

Standing broad jump:
4 reps x 4 sets

Single-leg lateral hop:
4 reps/leg x 4 sets

Single-leg box jump:
75cm x 4/leg (this set was trash)
60cm x 4/leg x 2

Plyometric push-ups:
5 reps x 4 sets

Heavy band-resisted shot:
5 reps/side x 3 sets

Superset:
KB suitcase carry, 60s/side at 32kg
Bird-dog row, 10/side at 24kg
Ab rollout, 10 reps
Repeated superset for 2 times total

Not a bad morning session. Lateral hops are getting much more stable. Core work was meant to be 3 supersets, but only had the time for 2, and the gym is always manic busy in the mornings. I might actually rejoin another gym just so I can have somewhere quieter to do my sessions in early mornings.
Was absolutely shattered this evening, wound up not going to training. It's okay - means I can put in the extra effort across Friday/Saturday. My work capacity might not be what it once was.

25/07/2021:

Strength:

Deadlift (conventional):
60kg x 6
100kg x 5
130kg x 4
150kg x 3 x 3

Dips:
BW x 10
12kg x 6
20kg x 6 x 3
BW x 20

All I had time for this morning. Just a quick little smash out of some essentials.

Muay Thai:

Short session for the day. PT booked was a no-show, so myself and a couple of other trainers worked with each other for a little while. Clinched with one for a few rounds, collecting him for 3 minutes of clinching as soon as he came off 3 minutes of pads. Gave him a few rounds, then had a few quick few 3-minute rounds of pads myself. Short and sweet, but it was something.

Slack on the updates lately, but still been training.

04/08/2021:

Strength and conditioning (fasted, AM):

Paused squats:
60kg x 6
80kg x 4
90kg x 3
100kg x 3
110kg x 3 x 2

Squat:
80kg x 15

Chin-ups:
BW x 10
5kg x 8 x 3

Rowing sprints:
30 seconds light/recovery effort
30 seconds max effort
Repeat for 5 x rounds.

Short, sharp session this morning. Warmed up a little, then got stuck in when I could finally find some equipment. I ain't done a proper squat for at least a couple months, so was nice to revisit them for the lolz. Chins felt good. Rowing sprints were a good, quick little burn. Will see what this evening's training brings as it looks like I won't be doing the boxing padwork which I had scheduleld.

Useless at updating still? Maybe. I've been focusing my efforts towards getting the boys ready for their fights this Friday, so have been a little sidelined, but still doing what I can when I can.

09/08/2021:

Strength and conditioning:

Incline bench:
Bar x 10
40kg x 8
50kg x 8
60kg x 6
65kg x 5 x 3
50kg x 30 reps total (12, 10, 8 reps)

Deadlifts (conventional, pause below knee):
60kg x 5
100kg x 4
120kg x 3
140kg x 3 x 3

Intervals - assault bike:
Gentle warm up
10 seconds max effort
50 seconds active rest
Repeat for 8 sets
Cool down.

Goal with intervals was just output. Once or twice just managed to crack 100rpm, but by last interval was lucky to crack 95, and that fell away very quickly.

10/08/2021:

Conditioning:

LISS session this morning, fasted. 6.42km in 40:24, average split of 6:18/km. Putting the slow in long, slow, distance training this morning. Again, cut the distance a little short as I could feel blisters starting - made sure to not push through at all this time. Really time for some new fucking shoes.

In other news, moving towards a development/peaking phase for my strength and conditioning. Excited to see what comes over the next while.

Edit: here's a slightly more serious round of sparring than the previously posted clip. This was feeling rather bloated off the back of a cola burnt ends and gooey jalapeno cheese sammie plus a flat white. First milky coffee in at least a year. It was not the jam. I always enjoy sparring guys in the ring more, because I get to do more of the things that I like a bit better.

Last edited:
We been in lockdown again for a little over a week now - stuck at home, no gym or work. But, I do have new running shoes, and a new kettlebell - so progress is still happening!

23/08/2021:

Conditioning:

8.05km run, fasted. 39:29, 4:54/km pace. Really pushed first 5km - got through that in 23:08, for a 4:38/km split pace. Not a fun experience, but good to be able to push for as long as I did. Plenty of room for it to come down. Average HR for whole run was 176bpm, even after easing up for last 3km. Max HR 188bpm. Finished with a few sets of pull-ups, then some alternating sets of push-ups and core work at home.

24/08/2021:

Strength and conditioning:

Warmed up with some mobility drills.

High-plank pull-through:
24kg x 6/side x 3

KB windmill:
24kg x 5/side x 3

Single-arm KB overhead press:
24kg x 5/side x 3

Single-arm KB row:
24kg x 10/side x 3

Bulgarian split squat w/ half rep:
24kg x 8/side x 3

KB swings:
24kg x 20 x 3

Sprints:
Approximately 100m, slightly uphill for first 60-70 meters? Dunno. Sprinted to a lamp post, walked back to the start of the street for recovery. 6 sets. Yucky.

27/08/2021:

Conditioning:

Started off with a few sets of pull-ups; 10, 8, 7, 10 reps. Then:

EMOM, 20 minutes:
10 Kettlebell swing, 24kg
10 Push-ups

This was pretty manageable, but also hard work. Good little breather for the morning though.

A couple of days' worth of updates:

28/08/2021:

Cardio - LISS

Steady state run. Decided to just get out and run at an easy pace for a while. Evert few k's just decided to keep going because my body felt good, and the pace felt easy. Wound up running 14.13km, 1:21:13, average split pace of 5:45/km. Average HR 161bpm, max HR 183. Longest run I have done in years - maybe my second-longest run ever, actually. Only stopped because chafing was getting really bad, feet felt like they were starting to blister a little in the new shoes, and then it started raining. Good times. I'm looking forward to trying to hit a 20k run next week, wearing better underwear and probably some leggings too.

29/08/2021:

Strength

Warmed up with some mobility drills.

High-plank pull through:
24kg x 6/side x 3

KB windmill:
24kg x 5/side x 3

Push-up with shoulder tap (one-arm elevated):
BW x 10/side x 3

Standing one-arm bent-over KB row:
24kg x 10/side x 3

KB goblet 1.5 squat:
24kg x 8 x 3
(knees out, ribs over pelvis, slow descent, half rep up, back down, then full extension)

KB single-leg RDL:
24kg x 8/side x 3

KB swing:
60 reps, 1 set, switching hands every 10 reps.

04/09/2021:

Cardio - LISS

Hit a 19km run today. 1:52:28 total. Average pace 5:55/km. Started off not quite as good as my last long run, and definitely got harder as it went. Really hit a wall around the 14-15km mark. Had a friend leave out a glass of water for me at around 15km, which helped. Smashed that back and carried on. Last 2-3km was just focused on putting one foot in front of the other and getting home. Yucky times. Now my nipples are very sore. Every time I do a long run I learn what I'm doing wrong - this time the lesson has been bring water, and also to tape my nipples beforehand.

05/09/2021:

Strength/power:

KB windmill:
24kg x 6/side x 3

KB snatch:
24kg x 6/side x 4

Standing broad jump:
BW x 4 x 4

Single-leg lateral hop:
BW x 4/side x 3

Plyometric push-up:
BW x 5 x 4

Single-leg jump from lunge position:
BW x 5/side x 3

KB single-arm push jerk:
24kg x 5/side x 3

Making the most of what I could today. Body not as beat up from the run yesterday as I thought it might be, which is nice.

The sore nipples are nasty mate!

You are not wrong. Another lesson learned is that I should have shaved my nips before I put the band-aids on haha.

Back