Hits to the face/head when playing shin on shin?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Especially shin on shin

I mean you are sitting with your face inches away from somebody's knees, and this guys tries to pullout he caught knee with everything he can.
Isn't there a risk of getting kneed in the chin/face on a regular basis when doing that?
What's your experience with this guard?
As someone who already has a deviated septum, I don't feel safe at all playing this guard, especially against white belt spazz or in competition...
As a general rule, I always like to have as much space as possible between my face and my opponent's dangerous weapons such as legs.

Last edited:
To be honest, the entry demonstrated is not that good.
I usually tilt to my right shoulder to force my opponent on his hands therefore he cannot squash me.

Regarding the capability of kneeing with the trapped knee, I don't think it can happen because the shin is controlling the trapped leg.

Also shin to shin is just a setup for entries to single X guard imo.

I also use shin to shin in my sit up guard with gi.

You can use hybrid guard like lasso and shin to shin guard

To be honest, the entry demonstrated is not that good.
I usually tilt to my right shoulder to force my opponent on his hands therefore he cannot squash me.
I know, I just posted the one I found so that everyone could know what I was talking about.
That's a good idea, will definitely try that.

I know, I just posted the one I found so that everyone could know what I was talking about.
That's a good idea, will definitely try that.

In that video, he goes flat on his shoulders and then he tries to sweep which a little too late.
Just look up Lachlan free you tube videos , he might have some good stuff on single X entry.

Regarding the capability of kneeing with the trapped knee, I don't think it can happen because the shin is controlling the trapped leg.
It's still freaking risky, the last thing I'd want to experience is getting kneed to the chin by a 200 pound spazz...
I noticed the rare accidents I've experienced in bjj (blackeyes, the small hits to the head whether it's against my opponent's knee or head, or heel) all came from either nogi open guard or leglocks. Nothing to worry about as of now but I don't want to play with fire much longer.

In that video, he goes flat on his shoulders and then he tries to sweep which a little too late.
Just look up Lachlan free you tube videos , he might have some good stuff on single X entry.
I actually have his bjjfanatics sets, what he shows obviously works very well, but I feel kinda "unsafe" when I do it.
Maybe I' doing something wrong, need to check that.

Not something i've ever found using it for years, you're more likely to get kneed hard in the sternum or have them try drop all their weight heavily on you knee first.

Like @lechien says you'd normally be leaning to your right possibly posting on your right hand just before the entry rather the vertical like that video. You're trying to line him up as you enter so his knee is left of your centre-line and you're leading with your left shoulder. Imagine you're actually trying to scoot past his leg rather than scoot in to it face on.

You're deliberately looking to keep your head out off to your right then very quickly bring it in tight against the inside of his leg. Your head is how you prevent him pointing his knee to the inside to knee cut and it is applying pressure. It would be a little like how you use it to do a Low Single and you use the reaction to that pressure to roll to your side and elevate him with the hook.

Back