HK VP 9 SK. Review - Update

I looked at those, they're cheap! I like that. You can get a cheap compensator for too
http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p387/PMM_CZ_P10C_Compensator_.html

In my case I wanted that 10rnd cap so when I dualsport through multiple States, I don't have to worry about hitting one with some goof-wad restrictions.

Guess I'd need a threaded barrel too.

I hear you on the ten rounds. Not that it matters now, but you could get ten rounders for pretty much any gun. Ask me how I know. :(

That’s actually the route I went. Picked up a FDE P10c shortly after they first came out. I think it maybe has the best striker fired trigger out of the box. I’m probably switching it out to an HBI trigger shortly.

The trigger is easily the 2nd best striker I've experienced, behind the Walther PPQ. The CZ certainly made me less happy with the VP9 trigger.

I've been thinking about a stippling job or something. Only thing I don't like about the gun is the gripping texture. A little pokey for my sensitive hands. It sure is easy to hit a target though. I was saying in another thread how I could ring steel at 100 yards with it about 3/10 times and with the Colt 1911 9mm I didn't hit shit.

I hear you on the ten rounds. Not that it matters now, but you could get ten rounders for pretty much any gun. Ask me how I know. :(

The trigger is easily the 2nd best striker I've experienced, behind the Walther PPQ. The CZ certainly made me less happy with the VP9 trigger.

I've been thinking about a stippling job or something. Only thing I don't like about the gun is the gripping texture. A little pokey for my sensitive hands. It sure is easy to hit a target though. I was saying in another thread how I could ring steel at 100 yards with it about 3/10 times and with the Colt 1911 9mm I didn't hit shit.
"A little pokey for my sensitive hands."
WSua.gif

Sandpaper'em to your liking?
giphy.gif

VP9Sk shows up tomorrow. Will try it out this weekend.

"A little pokey for my sensitive hands."
WSua.gif

Sandpaper'em to your liking?
giphy.gif

VP9Sk shows up tomorrow. Will try it out this weekend.

Those wouldn't be too pokey.

Enjoy your piece. It's a fine gun. At least the standard version is.

I’ve usually put the talon rubberized grips on all my guns, but I didn’t like the way they look on FDE guns. So I ended up using McNetts camo form.
MCN03-2.jpg

It’s basically self adhesive bandage tape in a bunch of different camo patterns. Gave it 3 wraps around the grip. It doesn’t have any sticky adhesive that leaves any residue on the frame, but it has a slight tacky texture that makes for a really nice grip in my hand.

I’ve usually put the talon rubberized grips on all my guns, but I didn’t like the way they look on FDE guns. So I ended up using McNetts camo form.
MCN03-2.jpg

It’s basically self adhesive bandage tape in a bunch of different camo patterns. Gave it 3 wraps around the grip. It doesn’t have any sticky adhesive that leaves any residue on the frame, but it has a slight tacky texture that makes for a really nice grip in my hand.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've wondered about just sanding off the bumps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've wondered about just sanding off the bumps.
Might not be a bad idea if you just need to de rough it just a tad. I actually didn’t hate the way they did the bumps. They have kind of a slight downward direction to them and are more aggressive on the backstrap , where it’s not rubbing against your body, than they are on the grip sides where it may be IWB.

Might not be a bad idea if you just need to de rough it just a tad. I actually didn’t hate the way they did the bumps. They have kind of a slight downward direction to them and are more aggressive on the backstrap , where it’s not rubbing against your body, than they are on the grip sides where it may be IWB.

I've come to realize I just don't like checkering. Do people really have problems with guns flying out of their hands or something? Never once felt like that could be an issue.

I've come to realize I just don't like checkering. Do people really have problems with guns flying out of their hands or something? Never once felt like that could be an issue.
Only really when I’ve run steel challenge or IDPA on a warm day. A little palm sweat and you’re trying to draw fast, and that grip isn’t perfect every time. It’s enough to start missing a few shots.

Only really when I’ve run steel challenge or IDPA on a warm day. A little palm sweat and you’re trying to draw fast, and that grip isn’t perfect every time. It’s enough to start missing a few shots.

So it's more an issue when drawing? I've never carried.

So it's more an issue when drawing? I've never carried.
It’s more like when you draw quick, you’re not always grabbing the grip exactly where you should be. You have to kind of on the fly decide if and when your going to try and adjust the grip, or if your just going to try and run the gun with that less than ideal grip. Either way, an aggressive grip helps with that a ton.

So I got the thing today and straight away took it to the range.

I brought along the 45 compgun for comparison.

First 11 shots from 18 yards.
I'm only an ok pistol shot for a rifle guy.
I suffer attention deficit when it comes to aiming pistols usually. I never quite remember if I'm aiming the same spot from shot to shot. If it feels close I shoot it.

Here's the overlay 8 shot group from the compgun immediately afterwards.

Felt recoil on both guns was interestingly about the same. I mean aside from the extra Boom of the loads I'm running in the compgun, that was like the difference between a 30'06 and a 223.

But groupwise, right off the bat I could shoot a group about the same as I could with my fullsized Compgun. Not bad for a nubby plastic gun.

Next I shot the black railroad plate. I was impressed how easy it was to just: ping-ping-ping-ping with the HK. To be honest, making hits with a 9mm is like fucking fat chicks, (you don't need much game to do it! - so I'm told) but it wasn't difficult to make hits with this thing even as short and nubby as it felt.

And I could actually hit the railroad plate a quicker with the HK than the compgun, cause the plate didn't really move with the 9mm, but the 200grn loads in the compgun had it swinging all over.

After that I shot the 4 steel plates with each gun from the same 18 yards.

OK:

The 45 compgun was better, but to be fair a steel challenge between these two is like comparing a V8 Corvette to a Honda civic. The Compgun was just better.

Next I went back to 52 yards

It took most of the first mag to figure out where to hold, (there's no bullet splash in the grass)
But Once I found it I made 3 consecutive hits, the 8 more hits out of 10 with the next magazine.

I don't hit any better from that distance with a full-size pistol.

In summary: I fucking like it.

Sure its a 9mm, and sure 9mms are easy to shoot when you only shoot hot 45ACP rounds.
But I can shoot as good with this sawed off subcompact HK as I can with my XDM 9mm or my 45 compguns. And only hits count.

I feel this is definitely an effective little pistol. It's fucking-A.

And the trigger's good too!
<{1-69}>

With the added optional homosexual comp they make for these
hk-vp9sk-match-weight-quick-detach-2.jpg

I think it would make a fantastic wife gun! the handle can be made small for smaller hands and that comp seems to work good enough to make even a wife think its not bad. Werd!

Last edited:
I bought one in August. I don't have a ton of pistol experience, but so far it's the best pistol I've shot. I liked the changeable grip panels and the sights. The mag release took some time to get used to, but now I don't have trouble actuating it. I don't find it any more or less accurate than any other pistol I've shot, but that probably has more to do with my skill than anything.

Mag release hasn't been an issue with me, but fast mag changes seem out of the question (at the moment) with those nubby little mags.
[<dunn]

Let us know if they're any good. Same comp for all VP9's or is this specific to the subcompact?

Ok.

Don't know, I haven't been an HK fegg since the 80s!
<Kpop775>

On second thought, it's gotta be regular and short due to the barrel slide length difference.

Don't know, I haven't been an HK fegg since the 80s!
Kpop775

What movie got to you? :D

On second thought, it's gotta be regular and short due to the barrel slide length difference.

The HK Parts VP9, VP40 match weight is the world's first quick detach match weight, compensator. That slides effortlessly onto your pistol frame and locks into position in seconds....

Fits all HK VP9, VP9 Tactical & VP40, VP40 Tactical models:

So it's just attaching to the rail and adding weight? Sounds like all models have the same tapering in the front.

I hadn't, thanks. Looks like something I want. :D

Fyi, I think their clearing out some P10-C's to make room for new models or something because they've been on sale. This is a great buy at $359 plus shipping. I'll go so far as to say that's an unbeatable value in polymer 9mm. I'm resisting the urge to buy a 2nd. When I bought the 1st, at the time it was a good deal at $469 shipped.

https://www.iammo.com/cz-p10-9mm-15-rnd-4-pistol-in-black-91520.html

I hadn't, thanks. Looks like something I want. :D

Fyi, I think their clearing out some P10-C's to make room for new models or something because they've been on sale. This is a great buy at $359 plus shipping. I'll go so far as to say that's an unbeatable value in polymer 9mm. I'm resisting the urge to buy a 2nd. When I bought the 1st, at the time it was a good deal at $469 shipped.

https://www.iammo.com/cz-p10-9mm-15-rnd-4-pistol-in-black-91520.html

Cz has some swell looking 2019 updated for their 22 line ..scroll down

https://cz-usa.com/product-category/new-and-updated/

I noticed there's a 19rnd p10 as well.

Yeah all hkvp9 have same taper but the slide length different from standard to subcompact.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-VP9SK-Match-Weight-Quick-Detach-p18151.htm

&

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Match-Weight-Quick-Detach-HK-VP9-VP40-408p17821.htm

No movie. I had a P9 in 45, and two P7s in the 80s.

With just the sale of the last P7 in 1991 I was able to buy two Springfield 1911 gov't models in 45acp and a new Dillon reloader.

I think the P7s are worth more nowadays.

Walthers ccp uses the same reverse retard action the P7 used to.

Back