Home Gym Set up

jshep

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So I am looking for some other perspectives on setting up my home gym. I have a 34x50 shop but am only setting up half of it as a gym. So 34x25.
Here is a list of what I have:
Squat rack
Olympic bar with iron and bumper plates
adjustable bench
several sets of dumbbells
Several sets of kettlebells
Roman chair
C2 rowwer
spin bike
wall mounted pull up bar
wall mounted heavy bag
rings
dip station
foam roller/mobility section

I have 18'x16' worth of stall mats but I have been kicking the idea around of buying enough to floor the entire space but have not yet. How would you guys set up a gym with this equipment? I am not loving the way I have it set up right now so I am looking to get some other ideas for efficiently using my space.

upload_2019-8-21_15-21-20.png
Here is a rough, not to scale example of what I have right now.

How would you guys set up a gym with this equipment? I am not loving the way I have it set up right now so I am looking to get some other ideas for efficiently using my space.
Put the dip bar over the toilet.

Honestly, it looks like overkill. Are you actually going to use all that equipment on a regular basis? At a bare minimum you could streamline and get a squat rack with a pull up bar (this is what I have), do BP inside the rack and store the bench against the wall when not in use.

If you get a Rogue power rack, you could also buy attachments that let you store plates against the rack. Alternately you could get a rickshaw (Titan Fitness has one for $150) which both stores plates and acts as a farmers walk/trap bar. Either way, you'd free up space in the upper left corner to hang the heavy bag in the center, giving you room around it to circle. Trust me, having a heavy bag in the corner like that limits your workout to just standing in front of it wailing away, which gets boring as shit fast. You need room all around it to be able to circle both directions and work combos.

I have a power rack with dips, pull-ups, cables integrated and I recommend highly. Safety bars are a handy thing.

Also trap bar is a must for me.

Honestly, it looks like overkill. Are you actually going to use all that equipment on a regular basis? At a bare minimum you could streamline and get a squat rack with a pull up bar (this is what I have), do BP inside the rack and store the bench against the wall when not in use.

If you get a Rogue power rack, you could also buy attachments that let you store plates against the rack. Alternately you could get a rickshaw (Titan Fitness has one for $150) which both stores plates and acts as a farmers walk/trap bar. Either way, you'd free up space in the upper left corner to hang the heavy bag in the center, giving you room around it to circle. Trust me, having a heavy bag in the corner like that limits your workout to just standing in front of it wailing away, which gets boring as shit fast. You need room all around it to be able to circle both directions and work combos.

This. Way to many people overthink their home gym. Do you have kids yet? Trust me, your space will end up limited if you don't and plan on having them.

I have a 8' x 12' area of horse stall mats for the power rack. I have about two feet on each side for the bumpers, weights, and bars. Besides that, I have one hanging heavy bag. The rest of the area is open for the kids to have all of their bikes, scooters, toys, and other shit. I can move it out of the way if I'm hitting the heavy bag or need to move the rack off of the horse stall mats. Besides that, I have miscellaneous things like grippers, jump rope, dumbbells, etc. My house has a pullup bar that the previous owner installed in one of the doorways. Honestly, that is plenty for me. If I needed to use a rower, treadmill, spin bike, etc., I can use it at the YMCA because you'll be a member there once you have kids.

It isnt much, but it works. Everything adide depending on where you get your stuff that is a 10k investment.

Attachments

• 51597.jpeg
    51597.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
That's a nice amount of space, I'm jealous. I have a 7x12 platform that I do everything on in my garage. IMO you just have to lay out and see how you like it. As for the flooring I would personally do 1/2" rolled rubber flooring over the entire space and then do a 8x8 platform in an open area and one under the squat rack. That's just me though. Let's see the after pics when your done!

I have a similar setup in my basement. Powercage is key. I like having two different benches (one long for overhead press and bench press, and a short one with leg pads for dumbbells).

Don't forget an affordable audio system. I picked up a few used 6 channel receivers from the pawn shop for $40 a piece, four 6" desktop speakers for $60 from partsexpress.com and i refurbed some old 80's Jensen 15's that I got on craigslist $50.

Maybe think about adding in a Title speed bag next to the heavy bag. Inexpensive and great for cardio. .

Last edited:
Gym Essentials for strength:

A strong powerrack with safety bars and pullup bar (and optional a cable attachment)
A barbell (powerlift bar 20kg olympic style)
400kg plates
2 olympic dumbells and some closers
An adjustable strong ass bench

Done.

I have this and a swissbar and a safety squat bar. And a glute ham raise machine thing.
And bands, straps, belt, magnesium, ammonia, weight stand, rubber mats

A strong powerrack with safety bars and pullup bar (and optional a cable attachment)
400kg plates

Done.

I have this and a swissbar and a safety squat bar. And a glute ham raise machine thing.

I have the basics

Rack, plates, decent bar and a flat bench. I can't do incline stuff, but I can do seated landmine presses which is very similar depending on the angle you push.

@jshep so what's the progress of your gym?

400kg plates

Done.

I pretty much have all of that, but only have about 300kg worth of plates (some of it are bumpers), instead of Olympic dumbbells I have the Ironmasters (will get the 125 extensions hopefully the end of this year) and only have a flat bench, but at least it's a good one (Rep Fitness FB5000). I kind of wish I splurged and got the Rep AB5000 though. I also want a SSB, but if I do I may wait on the ironmaster extensions.

@jshep so what's the progress of your gym?

I pretty much have all of that, but only have about 300kg worth of plates (some of it are bumpers), instead of Olympic dumbbells I have the Ironmasters (will get the 125 extensions hopefully the end of this year) and only have a flat bench, but at least it's a good one (Rep Fitness FB5000). I kind of wish I splurged and got the Rep AB5000 though. I also want a SSB, but if I do I may wait on the ironmaster extensions.

I have not changed anything with it. I just gave it a good cleaning and started storing my extra bars between the studs and built a rack for my bumpers which really opened up the floor space. (I highly recommend the bumper rack)

Do any of you have a list of what you would prioritise for a home gym?

I have a reasonable sized garage and looking to get the following as a minimum
Rack/Platform
Bike + Turbo Trainer
Punch bag
Wall fitted pull up + dip bar

Then ideally
Some kettlebells
Slamballs
Box for box jumps

Anything else you would recommend?

Do any of you have a list of what you would prioritise for a home gym?

I have a reasonable sized garage and looking to get the following as a minimum
Rack/Platform
Bike + Turbo Trainer
Punch bag
Wall fitted pull up + dip bar

Then ideally
Some kettlebells
Slamballs
Box for box jumps

Anything else you would recommend?

Landmine attachment. Get one that just connects to your power rack. I think I paid about $30 for mine on Amazon.

Dude you got so much equipment, that you probably could make some money by offering people a subscription to your gym ;)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back