Social Housing is a human right?

Housing isn't a right. If you want to put an end to homelessness... then go out and do it. Nothing is stopping you. Convince people to make it happen of their own volition.

Rights are what we decide on as a society... currently housing isn't a right, but we could decide it is.

We shouldn't deny public funded or subsidized housing to homeless people based the % of homeless that will trash the place. Just as we shouldn't deny benefits to struggling people based on the % who abuse the system.

The ones with mental health issues need mental health treatment. Some will fall through the cracks, but nothing is 100% , so the best society can do is help as many as possible.

I wasn’t saying that. I am just saying that there are those that can’t exist in housing because of those reasons and they end up losing every place they get. I have seen it many times. And I got into arguments in this thread because of what I said because they disagree it should be funded like I said

Again, it doesn't "need" to happen or it would have already. The situation can and will likely just continue on as it has been so far.

so we keep going the course with not enough treatment? That will turn out well for us

so we keep going the course with not enough treatment? That will turn out well for us

About as well as it has currently.

There will always be the dregs of humanity destroying themselves and dying. Nothing you do will ever change that.

in my state it is literally impossible to be homeless with a child. the state will house you. all you got to do is apply. homeless go to top of the list if you have children. put in pretty much a motel 6 till a house or an apartment become available. if you cant afford the rent it they will pay for it thru section 8/HUD.

Yes. Also, free beer, tv electricity, healthcare and food should be waiting for you when mom pops you out. And a sweet ride.

About as well as it has currently.

There will always be the dregs of humanity destroying themselves and dying. Nothing you do will ever change that.

harm reduction. Yes, there will always be those people. I am a retired cop, believe me, I know. But I also know that there are limited spaces in treatment and those that are willing should be able to have access to that treatment l. And never forget that the addicts may lull themselves but they leave destruction in their wake even after death. Family, kids, parents…

harm reduction. Yes, there will always be those people. I am a retired cop, believe me, I know. But I also know that there are limited spaces in treatment and those that are willing should be able to have access to that treatment l. And never forget that the addicts may lull themselves but they leave destruction in their wake even after death. Family, kids, parents…

...and my argument that this will never change. There always was and always will be a certain percentage of the population that end up this way. As things are getting more and more difficult to succeed in society, expect to see this happening even more frequently.

Look at all of the Democrat controlled areas. No matter how much money they throw at these problems, no matter how much they state they want to help, it's just getting worse and worse.

You're right, man.

In the richest country to ever exist ever, there should be people sleeping under bridges. There should be children sleeping in the woods cause they are too old to go with their mothers to the shelter.

We need to put bootstraps under bridges.

There's help wanted signs everywhere. No excuse for people to not be working. Yes, housing is a right, but not one someone else should have to provide for you.

...and my argument that this will never change. There always was and always will be a certain percentage of the population that end up this way. As things are getting more and more difficult to succeed in society, expect to see this happening even more frequently.

Look at all of the Democrat controlled areas. No matter how much money they throw at these problems, no matter how much they state they want to help, it's just getting worse and worse.

As the drug problems get worse. These are very complex issues that are not easily solved. I believe the democrat run cities attract them because they coddle them and if you just give them a house, they will fail. You have to get them drug and mental illness treatment first to give them the best chance of success.

There's help wanted signs everywhere. No excuse for people to not be working. Yes, housing is a right, but not one someone else should have to provide for you.

If it's a right then somebody has to provide it. If you believe it's a right then you believe that they have a right to other peoples labor and resources... gee that sounds a whole lot like a particular ideology.

As the drug problems get worse. These are very complex issues that are not easily solved. I believe the democrat run cities attract them because they coddle them and if you just give them a house, they will fail. You have to get them drug and mental illness treatment first to give them the best chance of success.

"if you just give them a house, they will fail..."

So even you admit the idea of "housing as a right" won't fix the problems? You said you were an ex cop didn't you? What percentage of the homeless would you say have either mental or drug abuse problems?

"if you just give them a house, they will fail..."

So even you admit the idea of "housing as a right" won't fix the problems? You said you were an ex cop didn't you? What percentage of the homeless would you say have either mental or drug abuse problems?

Nearly all of them have one or both which is why I say we need treatment for them

All the posters in this thread saying the government should provide whatever, ignore the fact that the tax payers provide everything.

Would be more accurate to say we need to pay for housing for these people.

Nearly all of them have one or both which is why I say we need treatment for them

So the whole premise of this thread is flawed as it won't fix the problem anyway?

Somebody with severe mental illness isn't able bodied.

I guess it would depend on the definition that you use. Able bodied is typically referring to lack of physical limitations. Mental issues are a different matter.

So the whole premise of this thread is flawed as it won't fix the problem anyway?

I would say that saying housing is a right as in given at birth is not accurate but everyone should have access to housing

Back