How bad is losing 3 times against the same fighter for someone's legacy?

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just thinking about it. Someone can be one of the best ever but how bad does it look in their record if they have 3 losses against the same person?

The first one that comes to my mind is Max Holloway, the dude is a whole legend but when you see his record he got 3 losses in a row(almost) against the same fighter.

How bad does it look for his legacy?

Also I was thinking about it because they're a few fighters that want a 3rd fight against somebody they lost twice already. Even tho some ppl think they won 1 of those fights oficially they have those losses in their records, period.

I remember Dana White said once that he didnt want to give Miesha Tate a third chance against Ronda because a third loss against her wont be good for her career.

-For example, Colby already lost twice against Usman imagine him losing a third time against him.

-Valentina lost twice against Nunes, even tho most ppl (incluiding myself) think she won their second fight it's oficially a loss in her record and she wants a third fight with Nunes but man if she loses that one that would be pretty bad for her legacy I believe.

-Zhang Weili lost twice against Rose, would they have a third fight? Imagine Zhang with 30 wins in her record and 3 losses, but those 3 losses against the same person.

-Same with Whittaker and his losses against Adesanya.
-Moreno and Figuereido.
-Etc.

I believe if you want to be the best, you have to fight the best.
Losing to only the best should never diminish your legacy, and I mean that sincerely.

You have to be pretty fuckin good to be in the ring/cage multiple times with the top fighters, so that usually means you beat everyone else.

Getting over every hump except one is not all that bad in my eyes, but then again I'm an all or nothing kind of guy.

Josh Barnett lost 3 times to Cro Cop and while 2 seemed to have ended with some bad luck, I think Cro Cop was the superior fighter. Barnett has a lot of asterisks next to his record then just losing 3x to Mirko though.

To a fighter's legacy it doesn't do that much. You can still be one of the best, remembered for great fights or great performances and what not.

But when talking about the best ever, you're clearly out of the dicussion.

Just thinking about it. Someone can be one of the best ever but how bad does it look in their record if they have 3 losses against the same person?

The first one that comes to my mind is Max Holloway, the dude is a whole legend but when you see his record he got 3 losses in a row(almost) against the same fighter.

How bad does it look for his legacy?

Also I was thinking about it because they're a few fighters that want a 3rd fight against somebody they lost twice already. Even tho some ppl think they won 1 of those fights oficially they have those losses in their records, period.

I remember Dana White said once that he didnt want to give Miesha Tate a third chance against Ronda because a third loss against her wont be good for her career.

-For example, Colby already lost twice against Usman imagine him losing a third time against him.

-Valentina lost twice against Nunes, even tho most ppl (incluiding myself) think she won their second fight it's oficially a loss in her record and she wants a third fight with Nunes but man if she loses that one that would be pretty bad for her legacy I believe.

-Zhang Weili lost twice against Rose, would they have a third fight? Imagine Zhang with 30 wins in her record and 3 losses, but those 3 losses against the same person.

-Same with Whittaker and his losses against Adesanya.
-Moreno and Figuereido.
-Etc.
Style makes fights.
Silva lost twice to Weidman, but I don't think anyone have any illusions Weidman is not the better fighter. he merely has the style to beat Silva.

I don't take losses as a huge knock on someone's career/legacy. It happens to anyone who stays in the game long enough.

Style makes fights.
Silva lost twice to Weidman, but I don't think anyone have any illusions Weidman is not the better fighter. he merely has the style to beat Silva.

I don't take losses as a huge knock on someone's career/legacy. It happens to anyone who stays in the game long enough.

But thats not the best example tbh. Thst second fight Silva's leg
And the first one he won fair and square but everybody knows Silva was playing around amd paid for it

But thats not the best example tbh. Thst second fight Silva's leg
And the first one he won fair and square but everybody knows Silva was playing around amd paid for it
I understand. Bad example, but the point remains IMO.

Losing to someone means that person has the style to beat you. Does not mean necessarily that you are the better or more accomplished fighter.

I don't think it matters. Fighters and their beloved legacies is quite a new phenomena. Franky a ridiculous one.

Depends a lot when it happens of course, latter past prime loses don't mean that much.

Prime vs Prime though it does make it hard to make the case you are above the fighter you lost to unless there is BIG disparity in records otherwise.

Reminds me of Barnett vs Cro Cop. At one point Barnett was 23-4 with wins over Big Nog, Mark Hunt, Semmy Schilt, Alex Emelianenko, Couture and Severn.

Of his 4 losses, 3 were to Cro Cop

If Valentina had three losses to Nunes it wouldn’t matter much because Val is really a 125er and Nunes fights as heavy as 145.

Holloway on the other hand losing three times to Volk (I thought he won the second fight) definitely takes him out of running as the goat at 145 though. Weili losing twice to Rose also hurts her credibility, and she will need to run that one back and win before her career is over if she wants to be seen as the best in her division.

Only in sherdog you cand find fans arguing a fighter is better than a fighter who beat them twice.
See Weidman vs Silva
Nunes vs Valentina
Aldo vs Holloway
Whittaker vs Adwsanya
And so on

Only in sherdog you cand find fans arguing a fighter is better than a fighter who beat them twice.
See Weidman vs Silva
Nunes vs Valentina
Aldo vs Holloway
Whittaker vs Adwsanya
And so on

Its like that around these parts sir

Holloway situation was messed up. He won the second fight but was robbed. Then he faced Volk at Volk's absolute peak while being past his prime, after taking a lot of damage in the Yair fight.

Peak vs. peak they're pretty damn evenly matched.

Back