How Beneficially are pull-ups?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
How Beneficially effective are pull ups?

How can they help your game, what muscles do they help and how to incorporate?

I can usually do 3 sets of 8 3 different grips whenever I do them.

Last edited:
They strengthen the back, core and arms.

Before we can tell you how to integrate them into your training, we need a better idea of what your current routine looks like.

Pull-up are almost as good as curls for developing broceps and can add a little meat to your invisible lats. They're done best when you add in a kip for ridiculously high reps.

So... what are your goals, your training age, etc?

My goals are to be a fantastic grappler, with a possible MMA future. To stay in shape of course but to become stronger in everyday activities. Currently I do them with my basic calisthenic type workout, which is pretty much daily, Pull ups, planking, leg raises, etc. I could do atleast 20 if I was going for reps, but I've been doing 3 sets of 8, changing my grips every set. I was wondering if it can help your squeeze as well?

They're excellent compound movements for building strength/size in the lats and biceps. Once you get up to 20 reps, you can make it more challenging by attaching weights to yourself via dip belts or sand backpacks.

You can improve grip strength by hanging two towels over the bars, squeeze them with your hands, and perform pullups.

Another great movement that target the lats are Pendlay Rows.

If you can do 20 reps, you're probably not going to get much out of doing 3 sets of 8.

Here's a tip: if you want to actually improve, you need to progressively challenge yourself to do more weight, or more work, in a planned manner.

My goals are to be a fantastic grappler, with a possible MMA future. To stay in shape of course but to become stronger in everyday activities. Currently I do them with my basic calisthenic type workout, which is pretty much daily, Pull ups, planking, leg raises, etc. I could do atleast 20 if I was going for reps, but I've been doing 3 sets of 8, changing my grips every set. I was wondering if it can help your squeeze as well?

Why not do more reps each set? Alternatively, you can add weight to gain more strength from them.

If you want to increase your grip strength, I highly recommend either rope or towel pull-ups.

Do you do any weights at all? If you're looking to be a good grappler, having good all-round strength is important.

Why not do more reps each set? Alternatively, you can add weight to gain more strength from them.

If you want to increase your grip strength, I highly recommend either rope or towel pull-ups.

Do you do any weights at all? If you're looking to be a good grappler, having good all-round strength is important.

Other then running around with my heavybag on my back, no weight lifting. Its because of money more so then the fact of not wanting to do it. I have some money though.

And to add weight, is it better to get a belt or to just fill up a backpack with sandbags or weights?

I don't think there's any difference between the two. Personally I like to wear a backpack because when I wear a dip belt, the weight tends to swing under my legs as I perform a pullup.

If you can only do 8 then they should help you get stronger.

How can they help your game, what muscles do they help and how to incorporate?l

Pull ups are one of the best all round muscle and strength builders there is.

Lats, traps, biceps, delts, grip and core strength as well as connecting tissues and minor muscles. All without the higher risk of injury associated with weights.

Versatile too; different grip positions/angles, thicker handholds, you can add weights or decrease resistance etc.

Plus, like push ups they are a great indicator of overall strength and conditioning.

Smells like necromancy in this thread.

White belt,first post and it’s “very good”.
I smell necro trolls.

Not as beneficially as deadlifts, but pretty darn beneficially.

How can they help your game, what muscles do they help and how to incorporate?

Pullups are a great indicator of relative strength. If you're busting out about 20 then I would say you have a good strength to bodyweight ratio. Probably one of the best back exercises you can do that's not a compound barbell movement. Definitely recommend doing them.

I generally add in moderate rep sets (15-25) with my bodyweight on my squat day, usually super setting with my barbell movements. On my deadlift day, I'll do (6-12 reps x 4 sets) with weight pyramiding up until I can only do 6 reps.

The most important thing about pullups is going to be form. You absolutely need to make sure you're going to a full extension at the bottom with elbows locked out and bring yourself to chin over the bar at the top. Too many people cheat with these half reps where they don't get the lat stretch at the bottom from properly locking out. A variety of grips is cool, but I've found that due to my body type a chinup (supinated grip) puts a lot of stress on my elbow so I don't do those. I'll use a machine with a slightly angled grip for supinated pulls.

Last edited:
@Legendary I know it's only been 7.5 years, but what are your thoughts on the 2020 advice you just got on the tread you started back in August of 2012? It seems like some effort went into these responses.

@Legendary I know it's only been 7.5 years, but what are your thoughts on the 2020 advice you just got on the tread you started back in August of 2012? It seems like some effort went into these responses.

Bro I didn't put much effort into my response. Don't worry.

Back