How did you get your job?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always heard the phrase "it isn't what you know, it's who you know"

Growing up, I found this to be absolutely true. Not saying knowledge is not important, but A LOT of jobs come from some sort of connections, whether it is nepotism or cronyism (in some industries, you can't even get your foot in the door without these), or some sort of networking leads to job opportunities.

People & schools really downplay the advantage of being a social person, being able to make connections, etc. School teaches you to "just work hard" and get good grades and you'll be good. Nothing can be further from the truth. This is probably why so many fresh graduates have their bubbles bursted when they go into the real world and realize jobs aren't knocking down their doors because they flashed their fancy diplomas. They're left with no jobs and mounting debt.

I just wanted to do an unofficial poll. How did you get your job?

• Good old fashion applying online (indeed.com, Monster, Careerbuilder).
• Got the job through a friend or family member?
• Met someone through a networking event like a job fair?
• Self-employed
• Other?

Walked into interview and said i need money and its either this or drug dealing

I got mine through just applying. So basically based on my skills, and I guess by extension my personality that interviewers liked.

I've never had a job from networking. It's always been stuff like 'i got you bro, I'll put your name through' and nothing happens after

I've gone to networking events, but I've never liked them

Last edited:
I created it.

Getting referred professionally (by someone you worked with) goes farther than family connections from what I've seen in the industry I'm in. I think every industry is different though.

I applied online, but my CEO knew the founder of a company I worked for previously and I had a good word put in for me through that channel before I’d even interviewed. I’ve succeeded far beyond what they expected, so my job has changed significantly since I started, but it got my foot in the door by being known as a useful person in my industry.

I went to apply, I've come to a place where I can get a job easily, you just have to be confident, have a good personality, and be ready for their questions, besides Subway is always hiring.

I always send my CV via email and got hired.

In this last one I was recommended by an ex coworker

I showed up to the same Temp agency 3 times a week for months, it was to the point the receptionist had a seething rage in her eyes when I walked in. Eventually they gave me a shot at the company I wanted working a shift no one wanted. 5 years later and i plan to retire here unless they fire or lay me off somehow

My friends drug dealer heard I was looking for work and gave me a number to call and then bam a job. I work at a shoe store but doing some other things on the side(legal) to get dat muhknee hunknee

Last edited:
I applied to an ad in the newspaper, then nailed all 3 interviews. And here I am, 8 years later. Fucking newspaper.

Last edited:
Just picked a place and started showing up and hanging out..

After not to long everyone in the office just supposed I worked there.

Told accounting they forgot to print my last check, my account mysteriously wasn't on record so they just made me a new one and I started receiving regular checks...

I'm not even there most of the time,

Started hanging out at this new office recently..

Walked into an open interview. The interview was like 5 or 10 minutes. Tons of turnover here, so I was part of a large group brought in before peak season to replace roughly 50 or 60 people that had just left.

Just hit my year a week or so ago.

My sister got me an interview where she used to work. She was a valued employee so it really helped out. I just had to not come off as a complete idiot in the interview to get the job.

Used to manage a guy who worked for this company. Apparently I treated him well because he put in a good word for me here and the rest is history. Moral of the story - karma is real.

Back