How did you get your job?

Being really good at what you do, and knowing what you are doing, will not only get you a job, but will make sure your employers try and keep you when you try and leave

Not had a single job in my life from word of mouth or friends, no qualifications either, just plain hard work and knowing what you are doing goes a long way

I always heard the phrase "it isn't what you know, it's who you know"

Growing up, I found this to be absolutely true. Not saying knowledge is not important, but A LOT of jobs come from some sort of connections, whether it is nepotism or cronyism (in some industries, you can't even get your foot in the door without these), or some sort of networking leads to job opportunities.

People & schools really downplay the advantage of being a social person, being able to make connections, etc. School teaches you to "just work hard" and get good grades and you'll be good. Nothing can be further from the truth. This is probably why so many fresh graduates have their bubbles bursted when they go into the real world and realize jobs aren't knocking down their doors because they flashed their fancy diplomas. They're left with no jobs and mounting debt.

I just wanted to do an unofficial poll. How did you get your job?

• Good old fashion applying online (indeed.com, Monster, Careerbuilder).
• Got the job through a friend or family member?
• Met someone through a networking event like a job fair?
• Self-employed
• Other?

Got hired as a branch teller, moved to call center rep. Became a mortgage advisor.

Two weeks prior to graduation, girl I went to school with called me out of the blue and told me to apply at her company. I did. Been there ever since.

I created it.

Being a boss is so much better than being a wage slave.

Self-employed. As for the whole it's not what you know, it's who you know, I'd add one caveat. It's not who you know, it's how much they like you. As a headhunter, I've seen countless people who were underqualified receive offers just because of a great previous relationship or just because they came off as more likeable during interviews.

I created it.

Being a boss is so much better than being a wage slave.

I don't want to fall into the error of survivorship bias. You sir, are one of the successful ones. Lots of businesses fail and while you enjoy your pina coladas on tropical beaches, I reckon that ain't the norm. Most people who are bosses are working their assess off and have a ton of responsibility. Maybe some can get to the point where they can run the business passively, but it's more common they have to get their hands dirty. Not saying it isn't worth it at times, but being a lowly pawn can save stress.

I want to touch on this one for a second. If your career path is specialized, I would highly suggest finding a networking group in your field that meets regularly.

I constantly go to the local Society of Technical Communication meetings because it's a great way to get your foot in the door at a lot of different companies. I stay close with this community because if I ever start looking and mention this I already have multiple people's ears. People get jobs through going to this group's social events all the time.

Good advice, I'll look into this.

Being really good at what you do, and knowing what you are doing, will not only get you a job, but will make sure your employers try and keep you when you try and leave

Not had a single job in my life from word of mouth or friends, no qualifications either, just plain hard work and knowing what you are doing goes a long way

I agree they won't want to get rid of you, but how will they know of your skill in the first place?

I don't want to fall into the error of survivorship bias. You sir, are one of the successful ones. Lots of businesses fail and while you enjoy your pina coladas on tropical beaches, I reckon that ain't the norm. Most people who are bosses are working their assess off and have a ton of responsibility. Maybe some can get to the point where they can run the business passively, but it's more common they have to get their hands dirty. Not saying it isn't worth it at times, but being a lowly pawn can save stress.

I failed a few times before I made it too. Well, my first business straight out of high school was semi-successful until it flopped (long story there).

Most people who fail deserve to fail though. I've never been huge on networking and masterminds etc, but the main thing I always gathered from them is that successful people share a lot of key common values for success. If you can adopt some of these into your life, then you are ahead of 99% of people already.

You can really break it down to 3 core areas

1 - Core values of life/mindset for success
2 - Aptitude in whatever area you are in or particular skill you need
3 - Business idea

You can have 1 and 2 and fail until you find the right number 3. You really need all 3 to make it (unless you have 1 & 3 and partner with someone who has 2).

Sent a resume, interview, that's it. But now I want a management position and maybe I need to know the right people.

Besides my very first IT job, every job since was gotten via a recommendation by a former co-worker. I havent gotten a job on my own in about 20 years.

That is you getting a job on your own. By being so good people recommend you. You did that.

What people take issue with is when someone's uncle just gets someone beneath them to just give the nephew a job because he said so.

Took a test to get into union apprenticeship. Union referred me to a job. Completed 4 year apprenticeship and the same place hired me. Next week will be my 13 year anniversary at this place

Applied and about 5 interviews and 6 months later the company still made the wrong choice.

I agree they won't want to get rid of you, but how will they know of your skill in the first place?

Demonstrate it, build up your skillset, build a resume that screams "i know what the fuck im doing"

Way too many people blag a job, and dont last long, people like that get found out really quickly from my experience

I got laid off a few years ago. A buddy of mine who was laid off also, knew a guy that could get me a job.

Timing. Applied during a management change in which the new manager ran everyone off.

The reason why she ran everyone off was she took everyone's scheduling flexibility away. I actually prefer set schedules and don't have other commitments that require loose scheduling (children, college, 2nd job) so I didn't give a "fook" about it.

End result was good paying full time job that I only work 2.5 days (2x12hr and 1x6hr).

Civil service exam. Made a 6'8" police sergeant (who was trying to rattle me by constantly implying I was racist) laugh. Got job.

Honestly, though, my family has lived in the town for over a hundred years and everyone knows us, knew me. Somethings are intrinsic rather than overt.

Back