How did you get your job?

I constantly go to the local Society of Technical Communication meetings because it's a great way to get your foot in the door at a lot of different companies. I stay close with this community because if I ever start looking and mention this I already have multiple people's ears. People get jobs through going to this group's social events all the time.

Contract tech work? Seems like a constant grind of retraining and looking for work. Seems like it'd be hard for me to enjoy life in general always knowing that a few months from now I'm gonna need to look for more work. Seems like a stressful life fraught with uncertainty tbh.

A friend of mine dropped his stash in my locker right before he got arrested. And so after that his clients became my clients and they told friends and they friends told they friends and now I am the Kaaaaaaaing round here.

Last edited:
Kicked out of college and was doing photography for my friends band to pay my bar tab. The drummer asked if I was interested in a job and I said sure. Filled out my apprenticeship application, got hired, been hanging over the city of chicago for 14 years.

Half of mine are through connections and the other half cranking out applications.

I'm a recruiter. If you're not getting by on your connections, then you need to crank out tons of applications.

When unemployed people whine to me, I ask how many applications did you send out this week? And usually the answer is 0-5.

You need to be cranking out dozens per week, if not a 100+.
The goal is to get a conversation started over the phone to see what the job is REALLY like. Don't take descriptions too literal. If it's close, please apply.

I've had 5 different jobs since I graduated from college.

First one I got through a family friend who was a GM of a large facility and got me in.
2nd was a promotion I got with a little help from him which moved me to a location where I wanted to be.
Last 3, I got on my own. Applied, got a call for phone screen then interview, then received a job offer.

My current job, had been offered 1 year prior to taking it but it was a pay cut so I declined. Then when I lost my job at a start up due to cash flow issues, I saw the job was still open. I called the GM and he had me back in the next day and offered me the job on the spot.

I was contacted by a recruiter that found my profile on LinkedIn

I still get contacted regularly by recruiters on LinkedIn. Moral of the story is, build and maintain the profile buds.
This.

LinkedIn and indeed is where you need to focus your time.

This is where 90% of us recruiters are.

A friend of mine dropped his stash in my locker right before he got arrested. And so after that his clients became my clients and they told friends and they friends told they friends and now I am the Kaaaaaaaing round here.
Name checks out

I had a hell of a time out of college because I was a dumbass and didn't take advantage of my internship process. So I ended up in the 'education no experience" boat. I got in on a entry level position, after one of the guys I was RA for in college reached out to me, when he heard I was looking for a better opportunity.

Then I busted my ass for almost two years, and moved up. Now 3 more years down the road, I have a pretty good career going.

Moral of the story...go to trade school. My buddy got out of the military, and started as an electrician apprentice with no experience. They are paying for his schooling while he works, he started at $16 hr..and has made $9 in raises in a year and a half.

I had a hell of a time out of college because I was a dumbass and didn't take advantage of my internship process. So I ended up in the 'education no experience" boat. I got in on a entry level position, after one of the guys I was RA for in college reached out to me, when he heard I was looking for a better opportunity.

Then I busted my ass for almost two years, and moved up. Now 3 more years down the road, I have a pretty good career going.

Moral of the story...go to trade school. My buddy got out of the military, and started as an electrician apprentice with no experience. They are paying for his schooling while he works, he started at $16 hr..and has made $9 in raises in a year and a half.
The real moral of the story is no matter what the career or job, keeping pushing forward. It may not seem like you're getting anywhere, but you are, and in time things will pay off. But it does take time and there is a lot of frustration in between.

I always heard the phrase "it isn't what you know, it's who you know"

Growing up, I found this to be absolutely true. Not saying knowledge is not important, but A LOT of jobs come from some sort of connections, whether it is nepotism or cronyism (in some industries, you can't even get your foot in the door without these), or some sort of networking leads to job opportunities.

People & schools really downplay the advantage of being a social person, being able to make connections, etc. School teaches you to "just work hard" and get good grades and you'll be good. Nothing can be further from the truth. This is probably why so many fresh graduates have their bubbles bursted when they go into the real world and realize jobs aren't knocking down their doors because they flashed their fancy diplomas. They're left with no jobs and mounting debt.

I just wanted to do an unofficial poll. How did you get your job?

• Good old fashion applying online (indeed.com, Monster, Careerbuilder).
• Got the job through a friend or family member?
• Met someone through a networking event like a job fair?
• Self-employed
• Other?

According to millennial historians no one worked before the internet was invented.

Nope, I’m also expensive. They pay me something like $115k US to do a job that normally pays more like $70k. I have no idea why, if I’m being honest, but I’m sure as hell not complaining.
I didn't know holding dicks was that lucrative!

Used to manage a guy who worked for this company. Apparently I treated him well because he put in a good word for me here and the rest is history. Moral of the story - karma is real.
Lol I went the Eddie Guerrero route

Just picked a place and started showing up and hanging out..

After not to long everyone in the office just supposed I worked there.

Told accounting they forgot to print my last check, my account mysteriously wasn't on record so they just made me a new one and I started receiving regular checks...

I'm not even there most of the time,

Started hanging out at this new office recently..
Are you Kramer?

Back