How do I make a mixture of the healthiest stuff and just eat that every day?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I find often that when I choose bad food it's more for convenience than taste.

So I was wondering if I could just make a huge batch of some kind of chili or jambalaya where I just throw in all the things my body needs into one big pot, then that's pretty much all I eat for a week.

Kind of like how a dog eats dog food and nothing else. I'd want to make "human food" with the same concept.

I can't be the first one to think of this, so I'm assuming that someone's already figured out an optimal recipe or there must be some huge drawbacks I'm not considering.

I'm thinking maybe start with brown rice, toss in broccoli, chicken, carrots, spinach, and black beans. If that's all I ate for a year I wonder what nutrients I'd be deficient in?

Last edited:
Just make nutraloaf, bro.

abdc19d0-f6cf-0132-450b-0a2ca390b447.png

You ever see how jacked inmates in the US prison system get? All you need is some barf-bread.

Just make a big vat of stew full of vegetables and some type of healthy meat. Fill up a container and take it to work. That's what I do on work stretches.

So I was wondering if I could just make a huge batch of some kind of chili or jambalaya where I just throw in all the things my body needs into one big pot, then that's pretty much all I eat for a week.

Kind of like how a dog eats dog food and nothing else. I'd want to make "human food" with the same concept.

I can't be the first one to think of this, so I'm assuming that someone's already figured out an optimal recipe or there must be some huge drawbacks I'm not considering.

I'm thinking maybe start with brown rice, toss in broccoli, chicken, carrots, spinach, and black beans. If that's all I ate for a year I wonder what nutrients I'd be deficient in?
I can only tell you what has and hasn't worked for me as I've done similar with mostly good results.
I'm blessed to have 3 Asian (Indian) markets within 10 minutes, if you have one/some close by then I would suggest making the trip.
-Basmati rice, I get a 10lb bag for ~$11, other Asian markets have Jasmine rice at relatively similar prices. Brown rice is higher in Arsenic, try to find the healthiest option for you closer to where you are. A rice cooker could be found for ~ $25 if you have a Bed Bath & Beyond, Aldi, Lidl, or any big box store.
If you have a Dollar Tree close to you, pick up freezer bags and snack bags, if not get them in the big box stores.
I usually end up with ~ 3 1/2 cups of mixed frozen veggies that include: Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussel Sprout, Carrot, Cauliflower, Corn, Green Bean, Kale, Onion ( white, yellow, and red), peas, peppers (green, orange, red, yellow), potato, sweet potato, spinach, and squeeze of tomato paste from the tube, and a spoonful of minced garlic. For the most part it covers the veggie families and the color spectrum. The exceptions are Cabbage, Cucumbers, Lettuce, and radishes... also squash, pumpkins, and Zucchini.
Depending on if you're a breakfast person, blackberry, blueberry, cherry, cranberry, raspberry, and strawberry could be portioned out and added to oatmeal (in which case you could add chia, flax, hemp, and sesame seeds along with wheat germ). If you have a nutribullet just add the fruits to some pure cranberry juice and you're on your way.
Orange juice along with some shredded coconut, mango, peach, and pineapple will further add to your daily servings of fruits and will cover most of the families needed. Melons, Pears, and other fruits like apricot, avocado, kiwi, etc I try to make a point of having when I dine out or on weekends.
An apple and a banana each day are easy and portable and also add to your daily servings of fruit.
The snack baggies I mentioned are great for nuts and seeds. Almond, Brazil nut, Cashew, Hazelnut, Macadamia, Peanut, Pecan, Pistachio, Pumpkin seed, and Walnuts along with some dried fruits (date, fig, prune, raisin) preportioned are a much healthier snack and way cheaper than the trail mix- mixed nuts at convenience stores.
In terms of the beans, cooking in bulk 8n a slow cooker/pressure cooker is the way to go. Buy dry beans and soak them overnite (leave enough room as they expand) and cook them the next day. Ethnic markets like Indian and Latino have them pretty cheap, cheaper than canned, buy a variety of beans and lentils. They're cheap protein.
Typically I'm looking at around $25 a week including diced chicken or ground meat.
You could most definitely make whatever adjustments you see fit (dietary needs and availability, etc). I usually also go with some V8 juice (4oz), and also some Greens +/ Amazing grass.
What really stinks is that you'll get sick of it after a while, varying the spices and seasonings helped delay the 'boredom' of such a routine.
Good Luck in whatever you decide to do. Time restraints and scheduling often throw things off in how we want to take care of ourselves and those around us. I hope this helped in one way or another.

Not exactly the all-in-one meal scenario you're looking for TS but my diet got super simple once I decided to just eat a 32oz jar of fat-free plain greek yogurt every day in conjunction with 20/4 or 18/6 fasting. The whole jar is 70-80 grams protein (depending on brand) and ~500 calories. I just add splenda and fruit to it and it's like a dessert

So basically I skip breakfast and lunch, then eat pretty much whatever I want for dinner, then finish off the eating window with a jar of yogurt. Ideal for cutting calories while still feeling full and getting a decent amount of protein in everyday

Healthy, cheap, tastes good
You can only choose two unless you put in massive amounts of effort

So I finally found out the right term to google in order to find out more.

It's called "macro bowls"

Now most of the recipes are just for one meal, but I'm going to try to find the one that has the perfect mixture of macros and nutrients, then instead of making one bowl, I'll make like 3 gigantic pots of it. Then I'll only eat that all week long.

I already made my first experiment bowl and it was kind of a failure. I did brown rice, black beans, chicken, spinach, avocado, red onion, walnuts.

Based on the online recommendation of getting 40/40/20 split between protein/carb/fat I had to keep piling on chicken to get enough protein, until the entire damn bowl was overflowing with chicken. I ate it, but it just felt like too much chicken. I tried to increase protein by adding more black beans, but that pushed the carbs way too high.

I'm wondering if I should just go for a lower protein count, like 30% protein, 40% carb, 30% fat. I am trying to build some muscle, and I do some lifting 3x/week but my first priority is weight loss.

Last edited:
Are you stupid or something? Why can't you eat healthy? You wanna put your diet on fire and forget mode? This is a stupid idea that can only lead to you being deficient in some nutrient.

This is out of control stupid.

Sounds a lot like that Huel product.

Isn't that what gruel is?

Not exactly the all-in-one meal scenario you're looking for TS but my diet got super simple once I decided to just eat a 32oz jar of fat-free plain greek yogurt every day in conjunction with 20/4 or 18/6 fasting. The whole jar is 70-80 grams protein (depending on brand) and ~500 calories. I just add splenda and fruit to it and it's like a dessert

So basically I skip breakfast and lunch, then eat pretty much whatever I want for dinner, then finish off the eating window with a jar of yogurt. Ideal for cutting calories while still feeling full and getting a decent amount of protein in everyday

Yeah Greek yogurt is good shit. I eat plain chobani every day.

So I finally found out the right term to google in order to find out more.

It's called "macro bowls"

Now most of the recipes are just for one meal, but I'm going to try to find the one that has the perfect mixture of macros and nutrients, then instead of making one bowl, I'll make like 3 gigantic pots of it. Then I'll only eat that all week long.

I already made my first experiment bowl and it was kind of a failure. I did brown rice, black beans, chicken, spinach, avocado, red onion, walnuts.

Based on the online recommendation of getting 40/40/20 split between protein/carb/fat I had to keep piling on chicken to get enough protein, until the entire damn bowl was overflowing with chicken. I ate it, but it just felt like too much chicken. I tried to increase protein by adding more black beans, but that pushed the carbs way too high.

I'm wondering if I should just go for a lower protein count, like 30% protein, 40% carb, 30% fat. I am trying to build some muscle, and I do some lifting 3x/week but my first priority is weight loss.

From what I’ve seen, much more than 1-1.5g of protein/lb of bodyweight doesn’t have that much of an effect. I’d probably think more of protein intake in terms of what your BW is, than as a % of your daily calorie intake. Also, I would suggest choosing between fat loss and muscle building. Doing both at the same time is possible for some people under some circumstances for a limited period of time, but a lot of the time those two goals will conflict with each other.

How are you measuring you nutrients, are you weighing the stuff? I’d probably shoot for 1g protein/lb of BW and then get the rest from a 70/30 or 60/40 split of carbs and fats (in terms of calories).

For example: 180lbs active guy, 3000kcal a day.

180g prot (720cal)
350 carbs (1400cal)
95g fat (855cal)

Comes out to something like 25/45/30. So I don’t think you should worry if you have more carbs than protein, as most of the time that would be expected. I guess on a low calorie diet the carbs and prot percentages could come closer, as you'd lower you carb intake and keep protein the same. Just an example though. You could still make your bowl in a way that is palatable and then supplement your protein at a different time of the day separately.

Last edited:
Healthy, cheap, tastes good
You can only choose two unless you put in massive amounts of effort

The old saying in the film industry (which also applies to the restaurant industry and food on an individual level) is:

"Good, fast, cheap. Pick two."

What TS is hypothesizing is very very doable. But if you want it to be good and affordable you're going to do the prep work and take the time to chop everything and prep and cook the dish.

Make a big pot of soup / chili / curry as a one dish meal, eat it for 3-7 days and repeat the cycle.

I try to eat based on Paretto rule. 80% of healthy food and 20% of junk

I have a recipe called cat food which is just that. Slop with correct macros.

ground turkey, cooked rice, frozen French cut green beans
Season with taco seasoning
Cook in pan til meat is done. Enjoy.

I eat this maybe twice a week

I have a recipe called cat food which is just that. Slop with correct macros.

ground turkey, cooked rice, frozen French cut green beans
Season with taco seasoning
Cook in pan til meat is done. Enjoy.

I eat this maybe twice a week

The Mediterranean diet still scores high for health, you need to remember soluble and insoluble fibre in your diet, it's very important, even if you have to supplement it.

Just eat fruits and vegetables every day and everything will be okay.

Back