How Do You Factor In Gyms and Coaches

nebulousned

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Do you fellas put much stock into gyms and coaches?

Sometimes i get the impression that a gym can be holding a fighter back if I see they fail to make obvious improvements in advance of a specific fighter and the gym has no other strong fighters.

I got the impression that Kyle Bochniak's coaching/training wasn't very good after watching his last fight but it's hard to know if this is the only gym he trains at.

Link to gym here:

https://www.tapology.com/gyms/369-broadway-jiu-jitsu

Any thoughts or insights?

Yes and no.

More important than anything is the type of improvement a fighter has shown from bout to bout, and what point they are at in their careers.

There is nothing inherently magical or better about a famous camp versus a small camp with only that fighter. Lots of guys and girls have shown tremendous improvement working at the latter, and there have been plenty of disappointments from the former.

At the same time, I will account for certain specific cases as additional uncertainty. For instance, when a female fighter starts working at ATT for the first time, and is reasonably young, there is a good chance for considerable improvement, although what form said improvement will take is anyone's guess.

ATT - (American Top Team) - confidence increase

ATT - (Australian Top Team) - confidence decrease (max bet against)

Back