How do you force a weak side to catch up?

Fahcough

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Sure one side will always be stronger but benching is the big glaring one. Left side looks like it has 5 more lbs on the bar. Been like that probably since teens. Do you do more isolation with 1 side ?
Have even moved hands over an inch on last set so the bar is loaded more on right side

Unilateral work.

Cater to the weaker side with your barbell work.

Sure one side will always be stronger but benching is the big glaring one. Left side looks like it has 5 more lbs on the bar. Been like that probably since teens. Do you do more isolation with 1 side ?
Have even moved hands over an inch on last set so the bar is loaded more on right side
do you feel like it's one muscle group or the whole side that's weaker?

do you feel like it's one muscle group or the whole side that's weaker?
Group. Most everything else is pretty even. Left shoulder burns out about 3 reps before right, which seems to translate to the bench press

Group. Most everything else is pretty even. Left shoulder burns out about 3 reps before right, which seems to translate to the bench press
If there is strength difference. I would hit that shoulder couple times through out the week in the exercises it's weaker in. Weather it be dumbell side laterals or overhead presses. It will catch up quick.
Another issue is that your shoulder may be tighter on that side therefor fatigues faster. In that case get some lifting straps and strap yourself to a pull up position and hang there for 10min a day. You can use both arms in that.
You can have either of those issues or both(like in my case)In the mean while concentrate on squizing the bar extra hard with your left hand. I had the same issue I think it stemmed from shoulder injury.

I've always had this issue with a weaker left pectoral and an busted left knee. I've never been able to correct it, but to avoid it getting worse, I never go above in which I can feel the leftside handling a fair share of the work. If I ever feel my right limb taking over, I deload and rep out.

Is any of it the result of some sort of injury? Is the difference so significant that it affects your form in some way? Does it affect anything in your lifts in a noticeable way? If the answer to those is no, I just wouldn't worry about it and keep training as normal. As far as I know, it's expected to have small differences between one side and the other, for the most part, rather than perfect symmetry, and I don't think it really matters.

Last edited:
Is any of it the result of some sort of injury? Is the difference so significant that it affects your form in some way? Does it affect anything in your lifts in a noticeable way? If the answer to those is no, I just wouldn't worry about it and keep training as normal. As far as I know, it's expected to have small differences between one side and the other, for the most part, rather than perfect symmetry, and I don't think it really matters.
Nah, nothing detrimental or hindering. Mostly just a symmetrical, why can't you keep up, thing. 1st few reps are good, once the fatigue steps in the left just dips out way faster. Almost like there's 15 lb difference in the fail range. Right side is up and ready for 1 more, left is shaking and wobbling to move the weight up.

Just work out. Trust me it’ll even out when you start going heavy.

Just work out. Trust me it’ll even out when you start going heavy.
Thanks sir, mam. Will try to continue to workout longer. It's been over 10 years, just keep at it?

Thanks sir, mam. Will try to continue to workout longer. It's been over 10 years, just keep at it?

I’m just having a hard time picturing how someone has an imbalance if you’ve been at it that long. Try some bands maybe?

I’m just having a hard time picturing how someone has an imbalance if you’ve been at it that long. Try some bands maybe?
Never really addressed it. No telling how many years went by without even doing bench press. Put it back in routine sometime ago and just curious if there's an easy fix or just a common thing.

No. Don’t do extra reps with the weak side.

I happen to agree. Things WILL even out simply because your left is going to have to work harder to catch up. Let it get tired. The growth will happen. You will always favour one side over another to some degree.

Back