How do you guys feel about 5x5's or 6x6's for...

TeTe

🤡🌎
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Building strength AND muscle mass?

There's a lot of conflicting information out there.. including on the BB forums about what good the lower rep/ heavier weight programs can do. Some say you can still build mass while doing this while other say you should always stick to 8-12 rep ranges if you are trying to build muscle.

I've been working on the 6x6 for about eight months now with slow strength gains. But I'm also trying to recomp my physique at the same time.

The thing is, I obviously want to build both at the same time so I'd like to stick with something that will hit on both. Newb gains are out of the question here as I've some done some form of lifting over the past eight years or so. Albeit, I was on an awful diet and not really pushing myself in the gym for the first six years. I was lifting without really pushing it because I was boxing and didn't really want to gain weight. Now that my goals have changed, I really want to dial in the nutrition and training aspect of things.

total time training doesn't equate to not being able to make beginner gains. I would run some for of linear progression for as long as possible and you might surprise yourself especially if you in a caloric surplus. After that you will have decide what you want to tailer your training toward your goals for.

total time training doesn't equate to not being able to make beginner gains. I would run some for of linear progression for as long as possible and you might surprise yourself especially if you in a caloric surplus. After that you will have decide what you want to tailer your training toward your goals for.
Yeah, I definitely know I have a lot of room to improve and a lot of that is because of my shitty diet for so many years.

I'm thinking the 5x5 or 6x6 might be best now for both since I have a lot to gain.

5x5 will most certainly put meat on you.

And there’s no reason you can’t make use of multiple rep schemes at the same time.

I am in a similar boat as you. Boxing/mma took up most of my training. Now that I am out of the combat game at least for now I want to at least look like I can kick your ass haha.

The 5x5 has been great to me thus far. The trick is to maximize my newbs gains. Increasing the weight/leverage every workout is key. Progressive overload.

Also diet has to be on point. Which I admit the first 6 weeks I was not doing my best work on my diet.

These last two weeks I've really locked in and my progress have been great.

It really comes down to progressive overload and macros in vs macros out.

I am in a similar boat as you. Boxing/mma took up most of my training. Now that I am out of the combat game at least for now I want to at least look like I can kick your ass haha.

The 5x5 has been great to me thus far. The trick is to maximize my newbs gains. Increasing the weight/leverage every workout is key. Progressive overload.

Also diet has to be on point. Which I admit the first 6 weeks I was not doing my best work on my diet.

These last two weeks I've really locked in and my progress have been great.

It really comes down to progressive overload and macros in vs macros out.

I like this routine because its a simple and effective way to learn these lessons. Progession, consistency, eating, etc. Helped me out a lot starting out.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there.. including on the BB forums about what good the lower rep/ heavier weight programs can do. Some say you can still build mass while doing this while other say you should always stick to 8-12 rep ranges if you are trying to build muscle.

I've been working on the 6x6 for about eight months now with slow strength gains. But I'm also trying to recomp my physique at the same time.

The thing is, I obviously want to build both at the same time so I'd like to stick with something that will hit on both. Newb gains are out of the question here as I've some done some form of lifting over the past eight years or so. Albeit, I was on an awful diet and not really pushing myself in the gym for the first six years. I was lifting without really pushing it because I was boxing and didn't really want to gain weight. Now that my goals have changed, I really want to dial in the nutrition and training aspect of things.
5x5 and other strength based routines that focus on heavy weights and compound movements are the way to go and will definitely build muscle as well as strength. The key to growth is nutrition (and rest) and you already admit that your diet hasn't been on point.

Try upping your calories and protein - I really saw a difference when I rigidly stuck to 250-300grams of protein daily (and I'm in my 30s so it wasn't newbie gains).

If you really want to focus on a particular muscle just add in a set of higher reps at the end of your session.

I would think something like a 5x3 with 2 mass building sets of 8-12 would be better for strength and mass. Strength needs lower rep schemes, but muscle building is more about time under tension than the weight used.

I would think something like a 5x3 with 2 mass building sets of 8-12 would be better for strength and mass. Strength needs lower rep schemes, but muscle building is more about time under tension than the weight used.
This is an old, outdated way of thinking.

5x5 took me pretty far. Fell apart at the 400-425 deadlift and squat. Had to get some coaching then

I ran Starting Strength and GOMAD for two years in 2008 to get me started.

After a third reset, I switched to a 5 x 5 program for another year and a half.

Been running some variation of 5/3/1 since 2012, but my focus has been on skills training in BJJ and Muay Thai since then.

There's nothing wrong with this advice. Reverse reverse pyramid is a proven methodology.

The author of bigger leaner stronger promotes this style of training

Back