How does LW Champ Edgar do against the current LW top 10?

sampuncher

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
So inspired by the thread yesterday about how HOF worthy Frankie's career has been, I know I mentioned it yesterday but he was the smallest guy at LW and won the belt and also was one of the smaller guys at FW, he's an absolute warrior.

What I wanted to know was how do you think he'd fare against the current top 5? I'm talking about Maynard/Bendo Frankie when he was champ.

- Khabib
- Dustin
- Gaethje
- Oliveira
- Chandler
- Tony
- Conor
- RDA
- Hooker
- Felder

What say you Sherdog?

He wouldnt even crack top 7

Given Gaethje’s horrible ground game Edgar might well have some success there especially countering leg kicks with takedowns.
Gaethje has been able to immediately pop up against everyone he's been taken down by, except Khabib (and Cobb in PFL when he was green)

Edgar's top game is nowhere near Khabib's; Gaethje would maul him standing.

LW champ Edgar means prime Edgar right? Well he beat Oliveira already, but that Oliveira is a different from the one we have today. Prime vs prime at 155, I think Charles beats him coz of the size difference. All of these are gonna be a handful for him, though I think Prime Frankie beats the likes of Hooker, Felder, Tony and squeaks some decision wins over RDA, Chandler, Gaethje, and Dustin. Khabib is too big and strong for him and has higher wrestling pedigree than prime Gray Maynard, so I can't see him winning against him.

Given Gaethje’s horrible ground game Edgar might well have some success there especially countering leg kicks with takedowns.

I agree Gaethje. Also I know it was a long time ago but he's also beat Oliveira before pretty decisively.

Chandler/Frankie is a very intriguing fight though, same with Frankie/RDA.

Frankie was able to handle himself against fighters who dabbled at WW like Bendo, BJ etc so I think he'd be able to make fights with guys like RDA very competitive still aswell.

LW champ Edgar means prime Edgar right? Well he beat Oliveira already, but that Oliveira is a different from the one we have today. Prime vs prime at 155, I think Charles beats him coz of the size difference. All of these are gonna be a handful for him, though I think Prime Frankie beats the likes of Hooker, Felder, Tony and squeaks some decision wins over RDA, Chandler, Gaethje, and Dustin. Khabib is too big and strong for him and has higher wrestling pedigree than prime Gray Maynard, so I can't see him winning against him.

Yeah, champ edgar/prime edgar, I just thought I'd use LW champ as the best example as if I say "prime" they'll be on Sherdogger telling me his prime was another period so just thought I'd avoid that unnecessary conversation haha.

I agree with pretty much your choices though, he COULD beat most of them but they'll all be very, very competitive fights.

Gaethje has been able to immediately pop up against everyone he's been taken down by, except Khabib (and Cobb in PFL when he was green)

Edgars mount is every bit as high level as Khabibs. Edgars top passing is arguably even better, few have such good base and ability to be and flow from passing and half guard. Maia being the obvious GOAT in that department.
Where Khabib is several levels above Edgar is transitioning to the back. Edgar has much better boxing though.

Beats everyone apart from Poirier, Gaethje and maybe Chandler. If he can get Gaethje down though i think he could win.

The guys Gaethje bounced up from were not edgar. Edgar was one of the best mma wrestlers this sport has seen.

That said, Lightweights are huge now adays. Still, prime Edgar would have a shot against any of those guys.

Beats everyone apart from Poirier, Gaethje and maybe Chandler. If he can get Gaethje down though i think he could win.

Gray maynard was a better wrestler than gaethje. Edgar still got his takedowns.

4.gif

He also took down prime penn who had amazing TDD himself.

I could see edgar making Gaethje work in the grappling department for two rounds until gaethje slows down, then frankie doing what frankie does best for the last three rounds and winning. I could also see Gaethje kicking Edgar's legs out and punching his face in. We'll never know

Seems to me that improvements in weight cut strategies transformed the scene completely in the last decade from the WW division down.
I remember when Aldo was considered a very big FW who used to bully smaller opponents, and today he is just an average BW, not even a big BW. This was so much so that Aldo asked many times to be allowed to fight for the LW belt. When Aldo fought Max for the first time, it was crystal clear that the scene had changed, and Max was massive compared to Aldo. Ortega would also be way bigger than Aldo. Today, Aldo would be dwarfed by the top LWs.
Frankie was a LW champ and now is a BW fighter, and would be nullified by the Top 10 at LW today.
The Frankie from 2011/2012 may be a TOP 10 today at LW, IMO.

He gets fucking killed.

frankie is no good.

Frankie a legend for fighting at walk around weight and actually getting title but that was a different era of 155ers. He wouldve lost to pretty much everyone in top 10 today. Size/ talent would matter ...... big time.

Gray maynard was a better wrestler than gaethje. Edgar still got his takedowns.

4.gif

He also took down prime penn who had amazing TDD himself.

I could see edgar making Gaethje work in the grappling department for two rounds until gaethje slows down, then frankie doing what frankie does best for the last three rounds and winning. I could also see Gaethje kicking Edgar's legs out and punching his face in. We'll never know
True but then you could make the argument if Maynard can hurt him imagine what Gaethje would do. Its all MMA Math really

True but then you could make the argument if Maynard can hurt him imagine what Gaethje would do. Its all MMA Math really

Indeed, although prime maynard was a beast and underrated on here in my opinion. The guy was undefeated with wins over Florian, Diaz, and edgar himself. That was an amazing win at the time.

But yes, there's no denying that Gaethje could crack Edgar's chin in a hypothetical fight, although...edgar was essentially impossible to stop in his prime. Who knows

Seems to me that improvements in weight cut strategies transformed the scene completely in the last decade from the WW division down.
I remember when Aldo was considered a very big FW who used to bully smaller opponents, and today he is just an average BW, not even a big BW. This was so much so that Aldo asked many times to be allowed to fight for the LW belt. When Aldo fought Max for the first time, it was crystal clear that the scene had changed, and Max was massive compared to Aldo. Ortega would also be way bigger than Aldo. Today, Aldo would be dwarfed by the top LWs.
Frankie was a LW champ and now is a BW fighter, and would be nullified by the Top 10 at LW today.
The Frankie from 2011/2012 may be a TOP 10 today at LW, IMO.

The average lightweight from 2010 was smaller than the average LW of today, but frankie was facing very big Lightweights back then. Maynard, henderson, and peen wouldn't be small at LW by today's standard at all. Shrek would be in terms of height, but that guy was thick as fuck and fought at WW.

The guys Gaethje bounced up from were not edgar. Edgar was one of the best mma wrestlers this sport has seen.

That said, Lightweights are huge now adays. Still, prime Edgar would have a shot against any of those guys.
ok

Edgars mount is every bit as high level as Khabibs. Edgars top passing is arguably even better, few have such good base and ability to be and flow from passing and half guard. Maia being the obvious GOAT in that department.
Where Khabib is several levels above Edgar is transitioning to the back. Edgar has much better boxing though.
Lmao

Delete your account

Back