How dominate would a prime Aleksandr Karelin be in any time period of UFC/Pride?

FrankDux

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Lets assume this guy "passes" any USADA testing. Does he get starched? Does he dominate?

karelin-549x668.png

There's a guy who mostly posts in Worldwide that analyzed Karelin.

The short of it is, his fight with Maeda (in Rings) may or may not have been a work, but either way it showed that Karelin had a lot of holes. His transition to MMA would not necessarily have been simple.

The short of it is, his fight with Maeda (in Rings) may or may not have been a work, but either way it showed that Karelin had a lot of holes. His transition to MMA would not necessarily have been simple.

Please. No one ever took this crapfest serious. Karelin went for fucking wrist control when he could ve killed Maeda. Karelin with 1 year of mma training would still need to proof he had a chin but if thats the case holy cow he would obliterate near everyone as soon as its grappling range. The guys isometric strenght was otherworldly. Never again someone even came close to his power. Just think about him having even a little above sub game. Someone like Lesnar is a joke compared to Karelin and Karelin was way tougher on the mental side.

Dominant before 2003, especially under Pride rules. Imagine Karelin with knees to the ground like what Mark Coleman did to Igor, but 3 times worse.
<6>

However, if he doesn't develop any standup skills once the HW GOATS like Fedor and Nog entered, he won't be able to keep up. Shit, even Iron Head stiffened a prime Olympic gold medalist in wrestling with the testosterone level of a roided up horse

Last edited:
Please. No one ever took this crapfest serious. Karelin went for fucking wrist control when he could ve killed Maeda. Karelin with 1 year of mma training would still need to proof he had a chin but if thats the case holy cow he would obliterate near everyone as soon as its grappling range. The guys isometric strenght was otherworldly. Never again someone even came close to his power. Just think about him having even a little above sub game. Someone like Lesnar is a joke compared to Karelin and Karelin was way tougher on the mental side.
comparing Lesnar Wrestling with Karelin Wrestling is like comparing a baby to an adult in physical strength.

Karelin destroyed the best wrestlers in the world, he made them look helpless.

I've watched a good bit of Karelin. I think any even half-decent striker would piece him up with ease. His hands looked slow and lumbering. That being said, in fairness we have to assume that he would at least work on his hands, if not focus on them. If he got even just solid striking defense, he could have been a real force.

I imagine he would be comparable to Dan Severn.

Lets assume this guy "passes" any USADA testing. Does he get starched? Does he dominate?

karelin-549x668.png
Well seeing as how his prime fighting years would've been 1993-2000. I'd say he would've dominated the early UFC tournament days and early Pride depending on whichever Promotion he fought in. He would've destroyed Gracie. Fights with prime Shamrock, Severn, Coleman, Kerr, Frye Couture, Randelman and Taktarov would've been interesting. He was a better wrestler than all of them though. Karelin was an absolute beast. He most likely would have never fought under USADA so that's not really relevant.

comparing Lesnar Wrestling with Karelin Wrestling is like comparing a baby to an adult in physical strength.

Karelin destroyed the best wrestlers in the world, he made them look helpless.
Thats kinda what I was going for

His fight with Maeda was a work. It was a worked strong style match which was what Maeda was known for. Karelin was paid a lot of money to do it. Karelin never had a real MMA fight. It's to bad that it wasn't a shoot. Maeda would've been a great first opponent for someone like Karelin. A winnable fight against someone with a name.

No one's would be, hence why it's hilarious every time some adolescent dork comes onto the forum shrieking about how LeBron James would be champion with 1 year of training.

I've watched a good bit of Karelin. I think any even half-decent striker would piece him up with ease. His hands looked slow and lumbering. That being said, in fairness we have to assume that he would at least work on his hands, if not focus on them. If he got even just solid striking defense, he could have been a real force.

This was sort of the line of reasoning of my initial thought. I would be interested in seeing him in any number of matchups, but I believe he might fare better with guys like Severn and Randleman than Fedor and CroCop. But anything can happen (Randleman vs CroCop, for example).

Back