How excited are you to watch the upcoming summer Olympics?

How excited are you out of 10?

• Total voters
Can't wait to see Track imitate Swimming. There are 22 different ways to swim and get a medal. Time to add different ways of running. Backstroke, hop on one foot, bowl legged dash, etc. If there are 22 different ways to swim there's gotta be at least 30 ways to run.

Loved that this is the first comment.

I am not a fan of US coverage of the Olympics. It's literally just swimming and gymnastics.

I am hoping the streaming services and youtube will make the Olympics watchable within the US.

The only sport I'm looking forward to seeing is freestyle wrestling. I was to see Dake bodylock some dude for the gold. I want to see Taylor get a gold. I want to see Stevenson blow past his opponents with his bizarre speed for his size. I want to see Grey finally get her Olympic gold after so many world championships.

But, I've accepted the fact that I'll have to watch all of those in gif form in the grappling section of the sherdog forums.

If only Spencer Lee was healthy....... FUCK!

Like every other Olympics, about a 1/10.

Can't wait to see Track imitate Swimming. There are 22 different ways to swim and get a medal. Time to add different ways of running. Backstroke, hop on one foot, bowl legged dash, etc. If there are 22 different ways to swim there's gotta be at least 30 ways to run.
LOL, they already do.

There's Hurdles, Racewalking, and the Steeplechase.

They have relays.

The long jump is a glorified test of the best sprinter with some specialization in bounding at the end of it. The triple jump and pole vault less so.

Javelin, Hammer, Discus, Shot Put. Sheesh. How many throwing events do we need, and three that involve spinning?

Difference in time of energy systems under load from the 100m / 200m / 400m / 800m in running is less than half the difference between the 100m / 200m / 400m events in swimming.

The Decathlon and Heptathlon are effectively individual medleys that includes half the events mentioned above.

Total number of footrace events counting relays & medleys: 16
Total number of swimming events counting relays & medleys: 16

200.gif

Always hyped for the boxing, and I do also enjoy the general atmosphere of the Olympics, watching sports I wouldn't really watch usually - like wrestling, judo, fencing etc.

No chance they'll do this.
The US is the largest sports market by far.
~35% of Team USA gold medals at the summer Olympics come from swimming.
Americans only watch sports America is good at:
  • Compare ratings for USWNT vs USMNT.
  • Witness declining men's tennis ratings over the past 17+ years.
  • Think declining NBA ratings when foreigners dominate the league, like 2002-07, when foreigners won 5 out of 6 MVPs, or more recently, as Europeans will probably win their 3rd MVP in a row in 2021.
If you stripped down swimming, the UK/China/Russia would win the summer Olympics basically every time and Americans would turn off, which would be massively costly to the IOC.

No chance they'll do this.
The US is the largest sports market by far.
~35% of Team USA gold medals at the summer Olympics come from swimming.
Americans only watch sports America is good at:
  • Compare ratings for USWNT vs USMNT.
  • Witness declining men's tennis ratings over the past 17+ years.
  • Think declining NBA ratings when foreigners dominate the league, like 2002-07, when foreigners won 5 out of 6 MVPs, or more recently, as Europeans will probably win their 3rd MVP in a row in 2021.
If you stripped down swimming, the UK/China/Russia would win the summer Olympics basically every time and Americans would turn off, which would be massively costly to the IOC.
source.gif

Cannot wait to watch Speed Walking.

When i was in ugrad I was doing 800m repeats on the indoor track at the field house. Obviously after each of the 800s you just kind of stop and are sucking wind. After the third or fourth repeat a world class spped walker shouts "TRACK!!!" at me.

LOLOLOLOL.

Did you see Fred Kerley 9.91 run? He will do damage I think in the Olympics.
I did not. I don't follow the Diamond League closely if that's where he did it. If you say he will, I believe you.

Fingers crossed for American gold.

Right now, about a 5~6 (voted 6). As we get closer, that will increase. I do prefer the Winter Olympics though, but still love watching the Summers.

This woman just had a baby a few years ago, and she's 35:

12th fastest 400m time ran in the world since January 1st, 2020 (in less than ideal conditions). Six of the 11 athletes ahead of her on that list are Americans, though, so she'll have her work cut out for her.

Back