How good is Beneil's grappling?

SkinnyClaw

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What level is he at, relative to other fighters? Could he hang with say Chiesa, or RDA, or what level of fighter would you say he could dominate with his grappling?

Brazilian jiu-jitsu
  • Brazilian jiu-jitsu
    • World No Gi Champion (2010 brown, 2009 purple absolute, 2008 blue)
    • World No Gi Championship (2010 brown absolute)
    • Pan American Championship (2009 blue)
    • World Championship 2nd Place (2012 brown, 2010 purple, 2009 blue)
    • Pan American Championship 2nd Place (2010 brown weight & absolute)
    • World Championship 3rd Place (2009 blue absolute)
    • World No Gi Championship 3rd Place (2009 purple)
  • Pan American Championship 3rd Place (2011 brown)

7CA4B7AC-951F-40CE-B94D-D7B9B9DC2425.jpeg

Brazilian jiu-jitsu
  • Brazilian jiu-jitsu

View attachment 947087
So what does that mean, is he the Michael Jordan of bjj or something?

His BJJ is pretty high level even despite that defensive lapse he had against Chiesa. He's controlled guys like Diego Ferreira, Moises and Tony on the mat without getting into much trouble for the most part, so there's a good chance he could do the same against Charles. Think he outgrappled Jim Miller back in the day too, but it's been a while since that fight so I might be misremembering.

As opposed to Islam and olives who are at least like all star level right?

These are at the brown and blue belt level. So continuing the NBA metaphor, he is in the league but he started out on the bench but now plays in regularly in games but is no where near being the star player
<Goldie11>

Brazilian jiu-jitsu
  • Brazilian jiu-jitsu

View attachment 947087

So you're saying he's mediocre? Lol

Very good BJJ, but more of a top game guy in my opinion. Surprisingly good wrestling for a bjj guy, too. I think he can hang with all of the best grapplers in that division.

Very good BJJ, but more of a top game guy in my opinion. Surprisingly good wrestling for a bjj guy, too. I think he can hang with all of the best grapplers in that division.

Do you think he bests Gamrot,?

Do you think he bests Gamrot,?

Close fight. I think he can beat gamrot, but I expect that it will be because of his striking if he does. Their grappling probably cancels eachother out.

I don't know if I'd pick him to win though, gamrot is a beast and has significantly better conditioning.

Very good BJJ, but more of a top game guy in my opinion. Surprisingly good wrestling for a bjj guy, too.

In BJJ he was known for his guard game, he definitely developed into a takedown artist and top game guy once he shifted his focus to MMA primarily.

@GolovKing Benny was one of the top BJJ prospects in the world in and out of the Gi at Purple, Blue and Brown but he switched his main focus to MMA around 2011 when he was 22 years old. So that's basically what he was, like a top college prospect who decided not to go to the NBA. He never really competed at Black Belt and left competitive BJJ altogether by 23.

Beneil's match vs Kron that got him a lot of attention

Brief highlight of some of his BJJ

Close fight. I think he can beat gamrot, but I expect that it will be because of his striking if he does. Their grappling probably cancels eachother out.

I don't know if I'd pick him to win though, gamrot is a beast and has significantly better conditioning.

Yeah, I think Dariush can hurt him bad on the feet.
Gamrot has the gas tank and skills I think to take it into deep waters and possibly sub him, or just win on position.

Dariush can also pull a sub out of his ass in transition as well, but I think Gamrot wins it tbh.

Agreed 100%, If Dariush doesn’t get a finish while standing within the first 3 rounds, IMO cardio will be the big discriminator in this fight. Gamrot will be going hard the full 5 and likely either take a decision or pull off a sub in the later rounds.

Agreed 100%, If Dariush doesn’t get a finish while standing within the first 3 rounds, IMO cardio will be the big discriminator in this fight. Gamrot will be going hard the full 5 and likely either take a decision or pull off a sub in the later rounds.

It's a 3 round fight. In a 5 round fight I feel like Beneil would be forced to find a finish so I'd more heavily favor Gamrot. In a 3 round fight its closer although at high paces Benny has fatigued inside the 15 minute mark many times. We can't pretend like Gamrot is dominating guys, he got by Arman by the skin of his teeth and lost to Guram by a similar margin.

Beneil is the bigger guy, he hits a lot harder and he has the grappling to really frustrate Gamrot's takedowns, scrambling and grappling pressure. I do think the takedowns will be there for Gamrot a lot easier vs Benny than they were vs Guram and Arman though. Close fight, I got it 60/40 Gamrot I 'spose. Gonna outwork him.

I think it's only three rounds, which is why I'm giving dariush more of a chance than most people are. I do think that conditioning will still come into play, though

Back