How good is Beneil's grappling?

I think it's only three rounds, which is why I'm giving dariush more of a chance than most people are. I do think that conditioning will still come into play, though
My interest in this fight just significantly dropped... fuuuucckkk

In BJJ he was known for his guard game, he definitely developed into a takedown artist and top game guy once he shifted his focus to MMA primarily.

@GolovKing Benny was one of the top BJJ prospects in the world in and out of the Gi at Purple, Blue and Brown but he switched his main focus to MMA around 2011 when he was 22 years old. So that's basically what he was, like a top college prospect who decided not to go to the NBA. He never really competed at Black Belt and left competitive BJJ altogether by 23.

Beneil's match vs Kron that got him a lot of attention

Brief highlight of some of his BJJ

Thanks. I always heard he was more of a guard player back then, but we never really see it in mma. I suspect we'll see some of it against gamrot, although gamrot doesn't really work much from top. Honesty I think gamrot will land takedowns, then disengage. He kind of just uses takedowns as a way to disrupt his opponents.

Thanks. I always heard he was more of a guard player back then, but we never really see it in mma. I suspect we'll see some of it against gamrot, although gamrot doesn't really work much from top. Honesty I think gamrot will land takedowns, then disengage. He kind of just uses takedowns as a way to disrupt his opponents.

His scrambles and transitions are fuckin stellar though....and fast.

His scrambles and transitions are fuckin stellar though....and fast.

Yeah. Gamrots wrestling style is honestly my favorite, but he's not really a heavy, top game guy that will just grind people down like islam for example. He more so just puts a relentless pace on people and I love it.

He definitely does a bit of both, he's not the big heavy top control monster that Islam is, he weaponizes his cardio in a different way, always mixing things up and changing levels, moving a lot, never letting guys get situated or find their rhythm. He did post up and work his top game late in the fight vs Arman once he had him tired, he worked his top game vs Guram when he could and got some quality GnP in at points too. Vs Kleber Koike Erbst and Mansour he put in good work from top position too if my memory serves me. If he can maintain control, he likes to stay ontop and work but if he can't he's fine scrambling and shooting takedowns and striking and shooting takedowns and scrambling and striking some more etc.

I honestly hope to see Gamrot and Benny get into the thick of it on the mats and standing. It feels like a real clash of styles in the best way. I know Gamrot is a solid grappler himself, didn't he win the European ADCCs and I know he's also a BJJ black belt.

Yeah. Gamrots wrestling style is honestly my favorite, but he's not really a heavy, top game guy that will just grind people down like islam for example. He more so just puts a relentless pace on people and I love it.

The only thing that's missing is GNP from him, but you're right about his style, it's awesome to watch especially since I grew up wrestling.
It's not just about position for him, and a lot of that has to do with his ability to move in those situations.

The more we talk about it, the more I see Dariush having a hard time containing him tbh.

Still would have loved to have seen him fight Islam. All in all thought he did a better job beating Moises than Islam did but Islam put in a better performance against Dober who had Dariush in trouble at times.

Gamrot has cardio for days, thought he was somewhat fortunate against Arman but unfortunate against Guram who was fading significantly in the 3rd.

Back