How good is Rodolfo Vieira?

So

Rogers
Marcelo
Vieira and the rest?

Better than Jacare, Werdum, Galvao, Kron? I remember watching Marcelo debut live, the guy had judo background, no BJJ, and he fended Marcelo off just fine, funny how it works.
I'm not sure what you're asking me at this point. I clearly differentiated between just BJJ and MMA grappling. I said those 3 guys are the most accomplished in BJJ (both gi and no gi combined based on their gold medals at worlds and adcc). That's all I can objectively tell you. In MMA, I said guys like Mir, Maia, and Werdum have done so much more. Galvao wasn't in your list so I didn't take him into consideration.

I'm not sure what you're asking me at this point. I clearly differentiated between just BJJ and MMA grappling. I said those 3 guys are the most accomplished in BJJ (both gi and no gi combined based on their gold medals at worlds and adcc). That's all I can objectively tell you. In MMA, I said guys like Mir, Maia, and Werdum have done so much more. Galvao wasn't in your list so I didn't take him into consideration.

I don't know, I just wanna be able to have a measuring stick I guess. And it is fair to differentiate between the two.

I'm curious how Rodolfo's career will pan out. I was there from the beginning for Maia and JAcare's career, well for Maia, just from the beginning of the UFC career, and I don't know, I think Rodolfo might be sharper standing, but he carries so much more muscle and I think he's more...I don't know...more...he's kinda like Brock Lesnar...they can strike kinda, but they get hit awkward if yu know what I mean...

I mean, maybe Werdum and Maia used to, well Maia even to this day, had shit striking, but I feel like they were better getting hit.

It was just odd how Rodolfo's BJJ from top got just shut down last time out too. I mean it is different game at the end of the day, but yeah.

In gi i'd favour him over all 4 (he has a win over Galvao), he'd smash Kron.

Kron tapped world champions and took down Buchecha.

Rodolfo is very strong and big, but his bullrush style and judo lend itself to Kron working from guard and Kron’s guard is insane.

Few can steam roll Kron. Only Sergio (once), Garcia beat him twice, Estima, Burns and Abmar.
And Kron avenged 3 of those.

Kron tapped world champions and took down Buchecha.

Rodolfo is very strong and big, but his bullrush style and judo lend itself to Kron working from guard and Kron’s guard is insane.

Few can steam roll Kron. Only Sergio (once), Garcia beat him twice, Estima, Burns and Abmar.
And Kron avenged 3 of those.
Rodolfo would annihilate Kron in the gi.
Too much strength and pressure and Rodolfo was too good and fundamentally sound to fall for Krons tricks based appproach.

Rodolfo would annihilate Kron in the gi.
Too much strength and pressure and Rodolfo was too good and fundamentally sound to fall for Krons tricks based appproach.

Tricks based? Magid Hage I would say is tricks based in that he has one move he really mastered, but Kron has tapped a world champion two or three times. I know Rodolfo has a fierce top game, but Kron's guard is all about dealing with crushing pressure. His guard with a gi, is really sophisticated, utilizing collar & sleeve when most at the time, did not. Anything Rodolfo does to win is more about weight than technique, IMO. But yes, I can see the 40 pound difference ultimately prevailing, I just don't think techniques based, Rodolfo would drown Kron.

He needs to develop his ground and pound.

He was very smart about it. I think he thinks that going for that armbar against Hernandez was a mistake because that's when he stood up.

I mean his striking looked crisp, and obviously he's going to look good in grappling exchanges, but I don't know, the other guy seemed like he had no problem getting up from underneath him and wasn't afraid to get on top of Vieira at all.

The biggest problem for Vieira in my opinion is he's almost LEsnar like. He doesn't react well to getting hit.

IDK but that back take was unreal last week-end.

Yeah these guys like Roger and Vieira looks super slick taking backs. Rogers never became elite in MMA, I'm not sure if Vieira can become an elite MMA fighter like Werdum or Maia did.

Would be great. If I'm Vieira's coach, I will really do my absolute best to get him used to getting hit. He's like...Lesnar ish...he just doesn't react well to getting hit I think.

I mean obviously striking and defense and all, and I'm not sure you can fix it, but he just looks very bad at getting hit if that makes sense. Doesn't react well at all

Yeah these guys like Roger and Vieira looks super slick taking backs. Rogers never became elite in MMA, I'm not sure if Vieira can become an elite MMA fighter like Werdum or Maia did.

Would be great. If I'm Vieira's coach, I will really do my absolute best to get him used to getting hit. He's like...Lesnar ish...he just doesn't react well to getting hit I think.

Yes I buy the theory that he has some mental block. I honestly doubt that he has the ability to receive and deal violence all that much.
Nothing wrong with that BTW, it's just that maybe MMA is not really for him...

Best thing Rodolfo could do is train with Rafael Corderio IMO. Dude is amazing at turning BJJ artists into striking machines.

before Rafael:
Zon6ljGhqrckllWpVYerCk2_KhlKQqb59E1mPRxhzI5CDXgBlG-X2J1HCYLeTW6mMHeEUBSAyrLurABZ2JC3Uh-AmJrEceBkmqDJxMI

after Rafael:

giphy.gif

Best thing Rodolfo could do is train with Rafael Corderio IMO. Dude is amazing at turning BJJ artists into striking machines.

before Rafael:
Zon6ljGhqrckllWpVYerCk2_KhlKQqb59E1mPRxhzI5CDXgBlG-X2J1HCYLeTW6mMHeEUBSAyrLurABZ2JC3Uh-AmJrEceBkmqDJxMI

after Rafael:

giphy.gif

That's a good idea. I love Cordeiro man he's one of the best imo.

But I do think Vieira looked really good on the feet. Problem is he just...reacts terribly to getting hit.

I'm NOT sure if it's something that can be fixed or not.

before Rafael:

after Rafael:

giphy.gif

Why not train with Khabib and become a takedown, hold down and gnp monster? Coupled with the elite BJJ.

He's a freak beast in pure bjj. Grappling for mma is just a different science. Great guys like Tonnon can't always get the sub despite being immensely better on the mats than their opponents

Leandro and the AKA crew really figured out the meta for mma grappling

I'm not sure how big a role Leandro had to play, but yeah, If there was an ideal dream MMA grappler, I would couple Khabib's takedowns and pressure with Maia's groundwork and submissions.

That would result in dozens of early first round subs with very little effort exerted.

I'm not sure how big a role Leandro had to play, but yeah, If there was an ideal dream MMA grappler, I would couple Khabib's takedowns and pressure with Maia's groundwork and submissions.

That would result in dozens of early first round subs with very little effort exerted.
According to Khabib Leandro and DC were the biggest influences on his ground game at AKA. I know he said Leandro really helped him improve his submissions.

Back