How good was Buakaw?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I remember when Buakaw was destroying people in k-1, my muay thai coach told me that there are lot of guys in thailand who's better than buakaw, but just not as popular or in limelight. I never was sure if he was serious or just in jest or just not very high on Buakaw as a fighter like some people on here.

If you ask me, Buakaw was the best out of the k-1 max lots when K-1 was the shit, and Petrosyan probably was the best next, and Buakaw vs Petrosyan in my eyes is MayMac of kickboxing, just because it was relatively in their primes, best of their generations in lower weight.

However, I don't think Buakaw and Petrosyan get a whole lot of love from muay thai fans on here...

Thoughts?

MayMac of kickboxing?

Old Mayweather carried Mcgregor for 10 rounds in a glorified cash grabbing sparring session...

A lot of guys were better than buakaw on his Stadiums days, but Buakaw was a good MT fighter anyways, he was very successful on kickboxing because he translated very well to kickboxing where he won the 2 most prestigious titles he ever achieved, K-1 Max 2004 and 2006.

Petrosyan is a Kickboxer with MT background, but a kickboxer, all his prestigious titles are from kickboxing where he fought most of his career and where he is recognized as one of the best to ever do it.

Buakaw x Petro already happened in Buakaw Peak and Petro reaching to his one, the fight was ruled as FTR but didnt even had MT in it, Apart from Sarama and allowed productive Clinch, there wasnt even elbows and wasnt scored as a MT match( so basically it was a kickboxing match with sarama)

Already watched this fight so many times,it was close and fun but Buakaw should had won.

Buakaw was Petrosyan the k-1 Max version of Peter Aerts vs Ernesto Hoost (both two of the greatest of all time facing each other), or some epic Boxing rivalries of MArque vs Pacquiao(two of the best of his era)

the pity is that both of this examples had multiple fights while Buakaw vs Petro only had one,if only Buakaw wasnt Robbed in the semi finals by Souwer we could see them fighting a second time, and maybe a next one with both in- or at least near their prime( Buakaw started to fading with the lack of competition after k-1 max 2009 ended).

well, how good was buakaw: More than enough to be considered one of the best kickboxers ever.

Last edited:
MayPac

MayMac of kickboxing?

Old Mayweather carried Mcgregor for 10 rounds in a glorified cash grabbing sparring session...

A lot of guys were better than buakaw on his Stadiums days, but Buakaw was a good MT fighter anyways, he was very successful on kickboxing because he translated very well to kickboxing where he won the 2 most prestigious titles he ever achieved, K-1 Max 2004 and 2006.

Petrosyan is a Kickboxer with MT background, but a kickboxer, all his prestigious titles are from kickboxing where he fought most of his career and where he is recognized as one of the best to ever do it.

Buakaw x Petro already happened in Buakaw Peak and Petro reaching to his one, the fight was ruled as FTR but didnt even had MT in it, Apart from Sarama and allowed productive Clinch, there wasnt even elbows and wasnt scored as a MT match( so basically it was a kickboxing match with sarama)

Already watched this time so many times,it was close and fun but Buakaw should had won.

Buakaw was Petrosyan the k-1 Max version of Peter Aerts vs Ernesto Hoost (both two of the greatest of all time facing each other), or some epic Boxing rivalries of MArque vs Pacquiao(two of the best of his era)

the pity is that both of this examples had multiple fights while Buakaw vs Petro only had one,if only Buakaw wasnt Robbed in the semi finals by Souwer we could see them fighting a second time, and maybe a next one with both in- or at least near their prime( Buakaw started to fading with the lack of competition after k-1 max 2009 ended).

well, how good was buakaw: More than enough to be considered one of the best kickboxers ever.

Buakaw was the best MAX fighter, most people know that I think. Some will say Petro but I thought Buakaw clearly won their fight.

MayMac of kickboxing?

Already watched this time so many times,it was close and fun but Buakaw should had won.

Man Buakaw tooled Petrosyan screw all the euro trash who bood him. Buakaw definitely won

Your topic and question is vague, you start talking about what your coach thought of Buakaw as a Muay Thai fighter in Thailand and then talk about him in Kickboxing.

If you're asking about how good he was in stadium Muay Thai, he was a good fighter somewhere in the top of the rankings but never a champion of the main stadiums nor one of the very best. He was still 2x champion of Omnoi stadium in 2 different divisions, and won several belts from different tournaments and organisations. It's just that when it comes to Lumpini he was never a champion let alone a dominant champion - he got up to #1 contender and fought for the title though so he was still up there in the rankings. He was far from the scrub that so many make him out to be.

In Kickboxing at 70kg as many have said it would be between him and Petrosyan for the GOAT status, so if you're asking about how good he really was in Kickboxing, well simply put one of the best if not the best in his division.

I wouldn't read too much into the titles Buakaw, or any other thai, did or didn't win. Just look at who he fought: Orono, Chalee, Nontachai, Sagatpet, Samranchai etc. You have to be at least pretty solid to get matched up in the stadiums with that level of opposition.

One of the very best until k1 changed into gay anticlinch rules..

He has had a lot of great fights, at a point he was one of the best. Wasn't he also very light for K1 max?

I remember when Buakaw was destroying people in k-1, my muay thai coach told me that there are lot of guys in thailand who's better than buakaw, but just not as popular or in limelight. I never was sure if he was serious or just in jest or just not very high on Buakaw as a fighter like some people on here.

If you ask me, Buakaw was the best out of the k-1 max lots when K-1 was the shit, and Petrosyan probably was the best next, and Buakaw vs Petrosyan in my eyes is MayMac of kickboxing, just because it was relatively in their primes, best of their generations in lower weight.

However, I don't think Buakaw and Petrosyan get a whole lot of love from muay thai fans on here...

Thoughts?
Best in witch sport ? Petro is fighting under kickboxing rules and buakaw fight both k1 and thaï , i'm sure buakaw is one of the best thaï to make the transition to kickboxing with sitichai but yes in Thaïlande there is better fighters

I just remember all the Masato bitches crying when he pieced him up.

As someone who never followed MT, Buakaw was a wonder to watch in K1. Traditional kickboxers always impressed me more with their boxing and defense. MT is more freestyle obviously, but it always seemed like fighters were very static, like their was honor in sitting in the pocket without moving your head and going blow for blow.

Buakaw adjusted well and took the really dynamic elements from MT over to KB, something you rarely saw his peers do.

Saying that, K1 was so watered down with rules, that its barely comparable to MT.

MAX changed the rules so Buakaw wouldn't win everything. He was robbed so many times it's sad.
Visited his gym (banchamek) he was very humble. MAX GOAT.

dark skinned thais are better fighters than light skin thais, i've said this many times.
the sun, farm work and exposure to the elements creates stronger people.
high melanin content is a sign of high testosterone in thais

dark skinned thais are better fighters than light skin thais, i've said this many times.

put down the crack pipe.

We've already been down this road of farm hand genetics and tanning salons. Old news bro...

My gym has had two former stadium champions as trainers over the last 6 years, one said Buakaw was the best he had seen and trained with and the other was firm that Saenchai was better. It's like a mix and match for who has a style they prefer over there.

Back