How good was Buakaw?

Let's revive an old thread of "was x fighter really that good". Not like we had many of those going already... Oh wait.

Jut the humiliation he put the kickboxing guys through by whooping their ass only with a basic "muay tae" fighter style and barely zero boxing (his firs couple k-1 tournaments)... The value of this is imeasurable for Muay Thai.

I've made a thread about this before but sherbros became ultimately buthurt by the "no boxing" thing.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ith-barely-no-punches.4101606/#post-159934112

Well nobody knows exactly how good any fighter is but that he was a top guy is just my impression i've got from people that followed the muay thai scene back then. I'd also assume in order to get matched against Sakatpet and Orono you'd have to be a top guy, not necessarily the top guy or even top of the top-tier because it seems like there were other bigger names back then like Attachai, Singdam, Anuwat, Orono. Sakatpet, Nongbee, Samkor, but good enough that i'd consider him a top guy.

To put it in perspective with todays fighters, i don't think he was as good as someone like Pet-U-Thong , but probably above someone like Panpayak Sitjatik/Sitchefboonthum. It's just speculation either way i and it's difficult to compare because they have very distinct styles. Comparing him to a muay khao in a similar weight class, i think Saen would beat 127 lbs Buakaw.

Who do you think is bettter Buakaw or Superbon in their primes in kickboxing and/or Muay thai? Especially after Superbon win over Petrosyan.

Well Buakaw did not accomplish much in stadiums and is in nobody's goat list for MT fighters.

Yeah that's the wierd thing.

He's really good in kickboxing.

But if there are lots of guys better than him in muay thai

how good is he?

You could argue that some guys who are better in muay thai, if given the same chance, could've done as good as Buakaw if not better.

On the flip side of that is that, I think it may be that Buakaw had the talents to find great success against kickboxing opponents than other muay thai guys who might be better in muay thai, which makes little sense in a way

The only reason people say Buakaw wasn't that good in Muay Thai is because a lot of casuals think Buakaw is the GOAT.

Yes, he is far from being the GOAT and he was probably not the best in hos division back then, but he was fighting some of the best back then, which means he must have been considered to be a top fighter as well.

Buakaw was still pretty damn good in muay thai and was ranked highly at the stadiums, he wasn't an intergenerational talent as far as the stadium scene goes but he was top tier.

Buakaw was still pretty damn good in muay thai and was ranked highly at the stadiums, he wasn't an intergenerational talent as far as the stadium scene goes but he was top tier.

I wonder if there may have been better intergenerational talents but if they wouldnt have had the same success in kickboxing like Buakaw did if given the same chance

You think Buakaw is better than Yodsanklai and Sittichiai as well then? Prime for prime of course.
Better than Sittichai yes. Better than Yodsanklai I don't know. Yodsanklai is more accomplished.

Better than Sittichai yes. Better than Yodsanklai I don't know. Yodsanklai is more accomplished.

I wish we saw that fight. Buakaw vs Yod but I don't think Buakaw wanted that fight.

I think Buakaw could've won in kickboxing though Yod might be a bit better in Muaythai since like you say Yod is more accomplished but I only watched Buakaw in kickboxing so....but Buakaw was behind Namsaknoi I think whos prob better than Yod too in Muay thai.

Who do you think would've won if that fight happened?

The biggest failure in the sport was not being able to put together Buakaw vs Yodsanklai. Now we are in a similar situation with Takeru vs Tenshin. Sucks.

The biggest failure in the sport was not being able to put together Buakaw vs Yodsanklai. Now we are in a similar situation with Takeru vs Tenshin. Sucks.

Yod being denied the chance to fight in K1 during his athletic prime was such a huge shame as well. Prime Yod would have been a force during the golden era of K1 max.

I think Tenshin is prob better than Takeru but that's a big shame, I guess that's politics and business for you

Yod being denied the chance to fight in K1 during his athletic prime was such a huge shame as well. Prime Yod would have been a force during the golden era of K1 max.

I think it's also a big shame, talking about K-1 Max, the decline of Kyshenko....he was so promising...but I don't know.

Back