How hard is it to become proficient in weapons based martial arts compared to physical fighting ones

Probably easier for those that aren't flexible enough to kick effectively. For others it should be about the same since you still are using footwork, perception/reaction, etc. The movements are similar regardless of if if you have a weapon or empty hands and you still have to be athletic enough to master it. You probably have less moves to learn though to be effective in a fight. Just hand and foot movements plus some basic joint locks and foot sweeps (if using a stick).

It in theory shouldn't be any more or less difficult, it's relative to time and effort put in, and how much you enjoy what you're doing. I could potentially see not having to have as high a level of fitness, but not being involved in those martial arts I can't say for sure. One of my students is a kali instructor though and he crosses over quite well

Stuff like Arnis and Silat.
Are we talking 2 guys armed with knives being squared off in an octagon?

its a hell of a lot different. Imagine if a jab could potentially kill you or completely tear out your eye. That's reality with blades. Even if he just gashes your forehead and misses the eyes, you got instant blood pooling into someone's eyes that will be a quick difference maker. Footwork and head movement are a whole other level of importance.

Depending on how sharp the blade is and how much clothing you have on, slashes can be lethal against someone targeting your arteries. A slash inside the leg at the femoral artery or at an overextended arm on the brachial artery is lethal fast. Like unconscious in 20 seconds dead shortly after fast. People instinctively protect their face and neck and leave those spots open to an experienced military.

Knife fights are usually over fast. you need to accept that you are probably getting stabbed and try to control where you get stabbed and try to trap the blade for the few seconds you need with your blade free if the other guy is faster and better on his feet. And that is painful as fuck.

its a hell of a lot different. Imagine if a jab could potentially kill you or completely tear out your eye. That's reality with blades. Even if he just gashes your forehead and misses the eyes, you got instant blood pooling into someone's eyes that will be a quick difference maker. Footwork and head movement are a whole other level of importance.

Depending on how sharp the blade is and how much clothing you have on, slashes can be lethal against someone targeting your arteries. A slash inside the leg at the femoral artery or at an overextended arm on the brachial artery is lethal fast. Like unconscious in 20 seconds dead shortly after fast. People instinctively protect their face and neck and leave those spots open to an experienced military.

Knife fights are usually over fast. you need to accept that you are probably getting stabbed and try to control where you get stabbed and try to trap the blade for the few seconds you need with your blade free if the other guy is faster and better on his feet. And that is painful as fuck.

Not exactly what I was asking. Try to focus a bit when you read something and don't just blurt out the first thing that comes pops into your mind...

Same with anything else like kickboxing, grappling, etc.

Training time * quality of time trained.

Depends on the weapon you want to master. Reaching sufficient lethality in bayonet fighting isn't too challenging from what i've heard.

I'm bumping this slightly old thread of mine.

And would you guys recommend training in one weapon at a time or in more and how many?

Depends on your definition of proficient. Wrong question if you're new or a lukewarm enthusiast of martial arts. Just know that every microscopic and very broad general ideal thing can be trained to a very high degree, and no one is any good relative to their potential and the potential of combat. If you can pierce a coconut with your finger, does it become a weapon martial art technique? Ha. You can put 10 years into developing a finger that can pierce flesh down to the knuckle with one hard thrust, you can't train your sword into a better sword. That element of "weaponry" is given to you in weapon arts.
You should have a good grasp of weapon use and fighting against weapons of course. Barehanded has many more time consuming "arts" though. You can train to disarm the opponent and fight if one is disarmed, in which it's barehanded though it starts with weapons, so it isn't a simple weapon or no weapon question. You can train vs weapons with nothing but a cut proof glove or any piece of armor! You can train your body durability, striking points like the knuckles and fingers or toes and shins (such as big toe for dull piercing / narrow blunt impact).
Barehanded is more comprehensive and includes vs weapons.

sometimes i wonder about this scenario (i guess when i'm bored): if someone comes at you with a knife is the best counter to also use a knife, or a stick weapon, or even bare hands and try to get two-on-one wrist control on their arm with the knife?

easy. you'll suck. the skill level you'll get with weapons as a dabber will be nowhere near the skill level you'll achieve as a half assed martial artist.

what's the one thing we always stress? sparring. all martial arts (cept for a few really bad ones) can teach you to competently defend yourself... unless you don't have any experience using it and is just going through the motions. same with using knives and stuff. I doubt you'll be pro enough to get the type of gear that'll let you spar with any semblance of intensity.

the good thing is even with no training, a guy with a staff or whip or knife will destroy a barehanded guy.

I don't think there's any real way to become proficient with melee weapon combat in this day and age. Simply cause there's no way to emulate an actual combat situation without someone dying in the process.

I don't think there's any real way to become proficient with melee weapon combat in this day and age. Simply cause there's no way to emulate an actual combat situation without someone dying in the process.
You obviously haven’t watched samurai champloo

this is a gun vs a knife scenario, but it seems pretty realistic to me. well, as real as it can get before you actually have to kill someone.

Back