How hard it is to make a living with MMA ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 580830
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 580830

Hi guys,
I'm actually looking to make a living with MMA, and I'm young and healthy. Right now i think it is best for me to pursue an amateur fighting career to taste the water, and then to go pro if successful. My goal is to become a trainer but with having some fighting experience first and then to keep rolling until i die. Opening a gym will be fine too. What is your advice to achieve this objective ?

I will be absent here for a moment, better moving my ass right now or living with regret later on. I will re-post later on. And if i can't be the new P4P, at least i can be the best sherdoger on the planet, that achievement may speak for itself.

Hi guys,
I'm actually looking to make a living with MMA, and I'm young and healthy. Right now i think it is best for me to pursue an amateur fighting career to taste the water, and then to go pro if successful. My goal is to become a trainer but with having some fighting experience first and then to keep rolling until i die. Opening a gym will be fine too. What is your advice to achieve this objective ?

I will be absent here for a moment, better moving my ass right now or living with regret later on. I will re-post later on. And if i can't be the new P4P, at least i can be the best sherdoger on the planet, that achievement may speak for itself.
It’s hard that’s why most mma fighters have second jobs

Hi guys,

Check out Myles Jury YouTube channel. He is former UFC fighter now in Bellator in addition to being a investor with lots finical knowledge. He has bunch of videos going over the financials of being a fighter using real numbers from his career to paint a picture. It is very informative for hopeful fighters.

Below is example of some of his videos but please look through his channel he gives a lot of insight and tips that can help you pursue this path smoothly.

If you are here honestly asking this question, most likely it’s not for you..

If you want to make good money, don't become a fighter and certainly don't open up a gym. Unless you're one of the few that becomes a real top fighter

But if that's your passion and what you want to do, good luck

It's very hard if you aren't a professional fighter.

Go for it! But I tell you it’s going to be a fucking hard journey! The feeling of loosing a fight is the worst..

Enjoy all the CTE and long term injuries.

Hi guys,

Depending on your age if you have to ask this it's already too late.
Most people will tell you it's near impossible to make a living from only fighting and I agree, unless you're absolutely gifted and a natural (I can assume you're only starting to train now) just have your goal to become a trainer. As blunt as this is if you're over the age of 20 it's likely too late unless you're an amazing learner.

Depending on your age if you have to ask this it's already too late.
Most people will tell you it's near impossible to make a living from only fighting and I agree, unless you're absolutely gifted and a natural (I can assume you're only starting to train now) just have your goal to become a trainer. As blunt as this is if you're over the age of 20 it's likely too late unless you're an amazing learner.
Right, some people are gifted learners and can start late.

TBH I think a big limiter right now is the style.

I run into random dudes with dreams of being MMA trainers every so often and I always hear the same thing. I've been training some muy thai for a few years now, I just got my brown belt in BJJ, and some guys in my gym are collegiate wrestlers.

It's like sure that's great but I've seen loads of dudes like that in MMA and stylistically they most often are already out dated.

I'm not saying I can beat them right now but I haven't trained in 25 years and people still haven't reached what I did then by the age of 11.

It's almost pathetic considering it's a multibillion dollar industry.

The resources need to be put into the hands of the actual real innovators so they can do it correctly.

Right, some people are gifted learners and can start late.

TBH I think a big limiter right now is the style.

I run into random dudes with dreams of being MMA trainers every so often and I always hear the same thing. I've been training some muy thai for a few years now, I just got my brown belt in BJJ, and some guys in my gym are collegiate wrestlers.

It's like sure that's great but I've seen loads of dudes like that in MMA and stylistically they most often are already out dated.

I'm not saying I can beat them right now but I haven't trained in 25 years and people still haven't reached what I did then by the age of 11.

It's almost pathetic considering it's a multibillion dollar industry.

The resources need to be put into the hands of the actual real innovators so they can do it correctly.
The problem is guys like TS have this starry eyed idea of being a pro and making hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars as a pro fighter, then starting a gym. But people usually only have this idea before they've trained. Once they start training the reality of it hits - Fighting hurts and is a lot harder than it looks on TV.
I competed in boxing and Muay Thai from the age of 12 until I was 28. But I was taught boxing from the age of 6. I realised at the age of 18. Being a pro and making millions was more who you knew not how good you were. so I never bothered pursuing it.

The problem is guys like TS have this starry eyed idea of being a pro and making hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars as a pro fighter, then starting a gym. But people usually only have this idea before they've trained. Once they start training the reality of it hits - Fighting hurts and is a lot harder than it looks on TV.
I competed in boxing and Muay Thai from the age of 12 until I was 28. But I was taught boxing from the age of 6. I realised at the age of 18. Being a pro and making millions was more who you knew not how good you were. so I never bothered pursuing it.
A lot of the problem is an actual base that is considered 'MMA' in todays vernacular is incredibly rare.

Fuck, Ballet is probably a better base for MMA than BJJ or wrestling.

A lot of the problem is an actual base that is considered 'MMA' in todays vernacular is incredibly rare.

Fuck, Ballet is probably a better base for MMA than BJJ or wrestling.

I've had the conversation a few times with @AndyMaBobs that if you were to take a top ballet dancer and teach them Muay Thai they could theoretically be the hardest kicker ever. People underestimate how brutal ballet is for conditioning, balance and power. It's quite possibly the most brutal thing outside of contact sports.

I've had the conversation a few times with @AndyMaBobs that if you were to take a top ballet dancer and teach them Muay Thai they could theoretically be the hardest kicker ever. People underestimate how brutal ballet is for conditioning, balance and power. It's quite possibly the most brutal thing outside of contact sports.
can you imagine Dana White in a Tutu?

Even if you were the most gifted fighter on earth right now, people have a way of making things difficult. You'll be expected to kiss a lot of ass, you'll be expected to hang out with a bunch of guys in your free time (great if you're into that but I wasn't) and then you'll have to deal with the heirarchy and the politics. Hate to be discouraging but don't expect a warm welcome or appreciation for whatever you bring.

absolutely, and you'll find yourself wondering how many knuckleheads do I have to practice with before someone "accidentally" busts a joint. You'll find the most unbalanced people in gyms (as well as some great guys). Delusions of grandeur and a sick desire to be worshipped is what fighters have to face from the trainers, the managers, the "little Dana's " i guess you could call them. The problem is, there are too goddamned many wannabes just like music and so the worth of any unknown is nil, regardless of talent. I've seen some talented guys either just leave and do something else or get jerked around for their prime years even if they did make a living. I always figured I had enough bitterness in my heart already and didn't need it.

Yup, people forget that there sister doing ballet for a few years is not the same as being an actual professional ballet dancer on stage in terms of conditioning or athletic abillity

Back