How hard it is to make a living with MMA ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 580830
  • Start date
Can you elaborate on this?

Most promoters are people you would not associate with otherwise, but once you get to mid card you almost have to hang out with them all the time to promote the fights, and that's just on the local/regional circuit.

This sounds very poorly thought out.

Using your reputation as a "pro" fighter to open a gym is a pretty common tactic, the problem is nobody cares if you were a pro fighter unless you were a big name UFC fighter.
Being a 0-3 fighter from a regional shit tier promotion is not going to get people tripping over themselves to join your gym.

MMA gyms are a dime a dozen and for a lot of gyms they are just breaking even or maybe losing some money as they're a side project for someone who has the money to pay the running costs.

If you are serious about this, my suggestion is get a BJJ blackbelt from a prestigious BJJ brand, 10th planet, Gracie Bara etc, then buy a franchise off that brand in an area they are not represented well.
Usually with a franchise there is a roadmap to success, and some of the marketing costs are covered as part of the franchise fees, you also have a name people know within martial arts as being respected and legit.

Random DUdes MMA gym is going to take far more effort to gain traction than Gracie Barra branded gym.

A Gracie Barra opened near my house a few years back and the classes were full the first week it opened, the other MMA gym which was in this area has been struggling since it opened.

This is not true. I've trained at about 6 gyms full time at this point over 10+ years and the key to the one's that have been successful, more than anything, has been the gym owner's personality and how many guys they got to come with them to a new gym after they decided to cut ties with the other gym they taught under. I've seen guys and have friends that have opened successful gyms with no real business acumen (background or degree) or didn't fight in a major organization or get a black belt from a prestigious blackbelt. This is the one thing they all have in common....

-Started off teaching at another bjj gym under another coach.
-Gained a following with the students they teached, even if they weren't the head coach/gym owner.
-Easy going personality and worked well teaching kids or women.
-Decided to open up their own gym, or the gym they were teaching at closed down or had a falling out, so they took a portion of those students (see above) with them.
-After their gym had been open for a while, they started focusing heavily on the kid's programs.

What most people don't realize is that unless your gym is owned by a famous UFC fighter or blackbelt (example: Marcelo), the common public who gets into training is not going to care too much about their credentials or background. Any competent brown/black belt will do as long as they aren't a complete jerk. What's the real money maker are their kid's programs, and the general person off the street who is reliable with a good job who either wants to get in shape or learn how to defend themselves. Relying on competitors or amateur/pro fighters to keep your gym open is a losing prospect because those are usually the guys who don't have the best financial situation (and are generally younger), will move around for the best training possible, or have money trouble later on. The more competitive gyms are going to scare the average person, especially women or families, away.

I've also noticed those really famous gyms have really high costs too. For the general public, the cost isn't worth it, so why train at King's MMA for $300 a month (guessing here) for example, when you could train at a local random gym for $150?

A lot is dependent on your area too. In Florida, its super easy to open a gym and the rents are cheaper compared to say, NY, LA, or DC.

Last thing I'll say is that the BJJ community is really toxic. If you're able to properly pay and not screw over guys who are coaching under your gym, you can build a successful gym. But every time a gym owner does one or both of those things, they immediately make another competitor for themselves in the area.

even if you succeed at the highest levels and become a top 15 UFC fighter you'll still be eyeing that waiter job opening down the street.

Long days with a full time job and training. Sleep is important. Have a good wife/gf to help. Don't get injured.

You could be the best fighter in a 1,000 mile radius but if you have a glass chin = you're fucked.

It's honestly dependent on your chin.

Most pro fights start at 300/300 and you won’t see 4 figures until you’re 4-5 fights in and that’s assuming you’re winning. Bellator will start guys who earn contracts at
Around 4-6k/4-6k and it will go up 2k per fight (generally). Assuming you’re fighting 3x a year on average and winning all your fights it’s still not a lot of money once you pay taxes, gym dues, percentages to coaches and corners, all that stuff.

can you? Yes. But it’s a long, long shot.

It's very difficult. Especially considering that many fighters have other jobs besides this one.

Really hard. Really really hard. But anything is doable, listen to veterans and know the risks. No one is untouchable.

Think hard about how you’re going to promote yourself. Very hard. Unless you’ve got a style like Michael Venom Page, the punches and kicks won’t be enough to stand out. Get yourself an angle. Win or lose you got to keep the audience captivated.

I've had the conversation a few times with @AndyMaBobs that if you were to take a top ballet dancer and teach them Muay Thai they could theoretically be the hardest kicker ever. People underestimate how brutal ballet is for conditioning, balance and power. It's quite possibly the most brutal thing outside of contact sports.

I made a post showing love to the legendary ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov:

Showing love and respect to the LEGENDARY Ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov! | Sherdog Forums | UFC, MMA & Boxing Discussion

I am a huge fan of dancing it is an amazing art form. Ballet is indeed brutal which is ironic because most MMA gyms make money through recreational classes and those classes ain't shit compared to the brutality of ballet training.

If your shoulder is good then you can yes. Big RoM weighted stretch-shortening exercises will help quite a bit. Think back lever, reverse plank hold, handstand hold, sideways plank hold (1 arm), balancing exercises requiring stabilization and coordination, and endurance isometrics. So a plank is good because it builds and organizes connective tissues. Bear crawls are good because you move dynamically under various tension and it requires a lot of endurance too. Higher rep high mobility sets train the joint to get more fluid in so don't worry about grinding things down. When you can do 100+ push ups they tend to be quite fluid. Marathon isometrics builds solidity and a denser rubbery physique that can heal from stuff better. Think plank for an hour. You do it for a minute then go HAM and do 20+ more plank sets with minute rests, each set to failure until your body or core is rubber. Can do that with any exercise. Standing on a rope with one end in each hand and pulling like it's a deadlift at 80% effort warming up to 99% for 10 minutes. It builds connective tissue.
Heavy jump rope, thick battle rope type stuff, will do good for your shoulders. Circular movement, good for shoulders, go for time. Get up to 10 minutes. Being a fighter is mostly conditioning and this is to prevent being knocked out, taken to the ground, grappled to submission, and to knock others out as well.
If you're not doing rotator cuff exercises do them till you bleed. Read my post on first page here for the rest of the info man good luck: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/help-with-my-routine-strength-mobility-exercises.4191369/
Jesus christ the broscience

the injuries in MMA is not for everyone, tbh. Also, I read an article that says only 1% of fighters ever make it a professional career.

It’s hard that’s why most mma fighters have second jobs
That's it. I make a living teaching jiu-jitsu/MMA but when I started worked as security...

It's really hard to make a living doing a lot of "out of the ordinary" jobs. If people had any idea how many of the actors they see in TV shows and movies have day jobs, for example... Not to mention musicians these days, after the industry largely got decimated by piracy and streaming. I know people in bands who have toured several continents, have several well received releases to their names, write autographs and appear in selfies with lots of fans etc etc etc, and who still refer to what they do as a "hobby" - because they don't actually make any real money from their music, and have their day jobs to go to just like everybody else. It's pretty messed up.

Hi guys,
I'm actually looking to make a living with MMA, and I'm young and healthy. Right now i think it is best for me to pursue an amateur fighting career to taste the water, and then to go pro if successful. My goal is to become a trainer but with having some fighting experience first and then to keep rolling until i die. Opening a gym will be fine too. What is your advice to achieve this objective ?

I will be absent here for a moment, better moving my ass right now or living with regret later on. I will re-post later on. And if i can't be the new P4P, at least i can be the best sherdoger on the planet, that achievement may speak for itself.

How many dicks are you willing to suck to keep your gym in business? This is a very good barometer if you have the needed commitment.

Or like cock.

The competition at the highest level (where you might actually be able to economically sustain yourself through purses and sponsorship money) is now so good that it's basically comparable to trying to become a professional athlete of any sort. It's almost like saying, "How hard would it be for me to make a living playing professional basketball? I'm young, I'm in good shape and I've been shooting hoops in the driveway everyday."

Nearly impossible. You train for years just to get the privilage to fight for peanuts for even more years (low pay, no benefits, no 401k).

Even the whole "oh you can have a few pro fights then start a gym" narrative is over-rated. 90% of the money in MMA gyms is kids programs (after-school/summer camps) and cardio classes. Neither of those require pro experience.

MMA is one of the absolute worst return on investments you can make (you can train and fight for 10 years and not have much to show for in terms of money and real world resume attributes)

Back