Nintendo How many N64 games still hold up today?

TuBB

Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Listening to a podcast and they were talking about the Goldeneye re-release, they got into a discussion on how many N64 games still hold up. I don't really have a big desire to revisit Goldeneye. It's a game that was great at the time but it is slow as hell now. The N64 is my least favorite console, as I was all aboard the PS train around that time.

Only games I can remember holding up are the two Zelda games and Mario 64. Any other games you think still hold up from that console?

The early 3D age has held up pretty terribly from any of the consoles.

I love playing through Conker’s Bad Fur Day still. References are a little too of its time but the variety in game play and humor hold up well. Paper Mario, Mario Kart are some others that come to mind.

The early 3D age has held up pretty terribly from any of the consoles.

I love playing through Conker’s Bad Fur Day still. References are a little too of its time but the variety in game play and humor hold up well. Paper Mario, Mario Kart are some others that come to mind.
Mario Kart is a timeless game on any console. Never played any of the Paper Mario games, always wanted to though.

Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
TLOZ: Ocarina of Time
Super Smash Bros

Everything else was meh to me but these four were elite IMO. I can easily play the first 3 games now and still enjoy them. Smash is uniquely amazing because I had such an awesome time playing it with my college buddies.

Mario Kart is a timeless game on any console. Never played any of the Paper Mario games, always wanted to though.
They’re pretty simplistic but funny and charming. Worth a play through but I haven’t touched the newest ones.

Most of the 3D platformers, like Mario64, B/K, Conker, etc. Although, they've got some camera issues that can be very annoying to deal with. The wrestling games still kick ass. Mario Kart 64, along with most games that don't require much in the way of managing anything with a second analog stick, will play good as well.

I didn't have an N64 but my friend did.....a bunch of us used to play the hell out of the WCW wrestling game. Can't remember the name of it, but those were great times.

Wcw vs the world? The only other 2 i remember are the meh ones, Nitro and Thunder

Wcw vs the world? The only other 2 i remember are the meh ones, Nitro and Thunder
WCW vx NWO World Tour, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, WWF NO MERCY. Those are what they meant. Those games do hold up and their create a wrestler modes in the WWF games were phenomenal for the time.

Another game that holds up, which hasn't been mentioned, is Ogre Battle 64.

That was the original game. They followed it up with "Wrestlemania 2000" and "No Mercy". Those are the AKI/THQ games people still fawn over to this day. I believe "Nitro" and "Thunder" were PS1 games made by other companies.

We fired up Mario Kart a few months ago on a 27 Sony Trinitron. My friend has a dedicated gaming room with her N64 hooked up to it. It still looked good and played great.

I tried playing podracer but was terrible. I mastered that game back in tje day, but on a challenging track, I could barely control things. I'm sure I could improve if I played more, but I don't think I want to get used to that controller again lol. The draw distance is really poor, but it adds charm.

I really want to play some classic PS1 jrpgs on a CRT again, been thinking about getting another CRT for myself. PS1 games work natively on a PS2 correct?

WCW vx NWO World Tour, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, WWF NO MERCY. Those are what they meant. Those games do hold up and their create a wrestler modes in the WWF games were phenomenal for the time.

i forgot about vs the world, wasnt there a Japanese one aswell which had WCW wrestlers but due to licensing couldnt have the actual names

That was the original game. They followed it up with "Wrestlemania 2000" and "No Mercy". Those are the AKI/THQ games people still fawn over to this day. I believe "Nitro" and "Thunder" were PS1 games made by other companies.

not sure why i thought Nitro and thunder were on N64. The Ea game after those were just as bad too

Edit - turns out vs the world was ps too

We fired up Mario Kart a few months ago on a 27 Sony Trinitron. My friend has a dedicated gaming room with her N64 hooked up to it. It still looked good and played great.

I tried playing podracer but was terrible. I mastered that game back in tje day, but on a challenging track, I could barely control things. I'm sure I could improve if I played more, but I don't think I want to get used to that controller again lol. The draw distance is really poor, but it adds charm.

I really want to play some classic PS1 jrpgs on a CRT again, been thinking about getting another CRT for myself. PS1 games work natively on a PS2 correct?
Haha I had some fun with Pod Racer remaster or whatever that they released on the PS4. But yeah, definitely some not so great elements.

Made me think of another racer that held up well, F-Zero X. Super fluid, challenging racing.

And to your last question, yes. You can play PSX on PS2 without issue. I think that’s on any model too.

I thought they only made WCW games. We mainly played the smackdown games. I had the PS1 and another roommate had the N64.

Ps1 was all about Tekken, Diablo, Smackdown 2, Soul Blade and MGS1/JRPGs, but we had crazy Mario Kart and Pod Racer tourneys on the N64. I loved their Star Wars games too.

We def missed out on the wrestling games though. We were all broke, and they were never available to rent at Blockbuster. Those were some damn good times.

Back