How Many Of You Get Music On Vinyl?

Vinyls is the only way I pay for music, even though I consider them to be simply the best looking collectibles that I can buy to support the bands and labels. 99% of the music I listen to is stored in my computer, because it's much more convenient and, let's face it, it sounds the same, if not better, on most occasions.

I'm a huge music fan. I got into vinyl for a bit but I realized I was just collecting for collecting and it was an expensive hobby. If I'm listening to music, it's going to be in FLAC or in the car on the way to work. Although I love the sound of vinyl and the experience, I still prefer high quality FLAC. The idea that vinyl slowly degrades every time you play it, the cost, the maintenance. Ultimately, it just wasn't worth it for me. You really need the time, equipment, the money and enthusiasm to appreciate vinyl.

Vinyls is the only way I pay for music, . 99% of the music I listen to is stored in my computer, because it's much more convenient and, let's face it, it sounds the same, if not better, on most occasions.

It might sound the same if your listening to it on shitty speakers or earbuds but your mp3s will sound like dogshit on a decent stereo system compared to cds/vinyl. If your playing FLAC files on your stereo ripped from your cds then yes, they'd sound the same. In no way would they sound better though.

I'm just now getting back into it from when I was a youth. I'll get old vinyl though.

I've been thinking about starting to get records
again myself and was curious how many of
you correct records.

Also what would be a good turntable to get?
I just recently bought a record player and started a record collection. I am selective about what records I get though. I primarily only get records that I like from top to bottom and generate a little nostalgia.

When I was a kid, my parents had a bunch of Christmas records that we played all throughout my childhood. Those records were destroyed in a flood in the early 2000's. I recently collected as many as I could remember again. I am going to give them to my mother as a Christmas gift with a new record player.

I just recently bought a record player and started a record collection. I am selective about what records I get though. I primarily only get records that I like from top to bottom and generate a little nostalgia.

When I was a kid, my parents had a bunch of Christmas records that we played all throughout my childhood. Those records were destroyed in a flood in the early 2000's. I recently collected as many as I could remember again. I am going to give them to my mother as a Christmas gift with a new record player.

I'd also a have small collection of albums as
well. the ones I want the most are
Boston's first record
Fleetwood Mac's Rumors
Hotel California
Are you experienced
Abby Road
Dark Side of The Moon

and others down the road.

I'd also like to have mini-disc player as well.

I'd also a have small collection of albums as
well. the ones I want the most are
Boston's first record
Fleetwood Mac's Rumors
Hotel California
Are you experienced
Abby Road
Dark Side of The Moon

and others down the road.

I'd also like to have mini-disc player as well.
I want that original Boston album as well. It is their best. I do have the "Don't Look Back" album and bunch of other stuff that is nostalgic to me. It's mostly 80's and early 90's stuff though.

I want that original Boston album as well. It is their best. I do have the "Don't Look Back" album and bunch of other stuff that is nostalgic to me. It's mostly 80's and early 90's stuff though.

When it comes to 80s albums I want
Thriller
Appetite for Destruction
Eddie Murphy's Raw

When it comes to 80s albums I want
Thriller
Appetite for Destruction
Eddie Murphy's Raw
I have Appetite. There were some songs on there that I had not listened to in decades before I bought the record. It was almost like listening to them anew. Really good shit.

It might sound the same if your listening to it on shitty speakers or earbuds but your mp3s will sound like dogshit on a decent stereo system compared to cds/vinyl. If your playing FLAC files on your stereo ripped from your cds then yes, they'd sound the same. In no way would they sound better though.

This isn't 1999 anymore, vinyls do not sound better than a good MP3 file, they are physically incapable of doing so. Mastering for vinyls is a pain in the ass that requires to get rid of several frequencies and has a lower resolution.

I'm a huge music fan. I got into vinyl for a bit but I realized I was just collecting for collecting and it was an expensive hobby. If I'm listening to music, it's going to be in FLAC or in the car on the way to work. Although I love the sound of vinyl and the experience, I still prefer high quality FLAC. The idea that vinyl slowly degrades every time you play it, the cost, the maintenance. Ultimately, it just wasn't worth it for me. You really need the time, equipment, the money and enthusiasm to appreciate vinyl.

exactly why I've never made the leap into vinyl...was thinking about it 6-7 years ago but stopped with a decent collection of sacd's. In the end I don't have that much time for it, like you I listen to a bit of music on the way to work.
the old me may have sold and upgraded my sound system a few more times by now, but that too is an expensive hobby and I've realized the 2 systems I have now sound really good as it is. been listening mostly on a good set of headphones of late when at home anyway.

This isn't 1999 anymore, vinyls do not sound better than a good MP3 file, they are physically incapable of doing so. Mastering for vinyls is a pain in the ass that requires to get rid of several frequencies and has a lower resolution.

You have literally no idea what your saying

Wrong, analog has infinite resolution. When the wave form is chopped up into bits, then you *lose* resolution.

Compressing the formats into mp3 or cd loses quality, creates distortion, clipping etc, nevermind throwing in the loudness wars that occured.

If you know what your listening for, you will absolutely be able to tell the difference between vinyl, mp3, cd, its not just some pretentious hipster doucheness.

But there are arguments to be made of course for formats being recorded straight digital and transferred to vinyl.

a good one to throw on to vinyl is the first rage against the machine album, it sounds fucking phenomenal when compared to the cd or mp3 due to how it was recorded and mastered

I have a modest mid-fi system that I listen to my vinyl on, and I prefer vinyl played on it far more than any other format.

2011 is when I got into it. Purchased myself a cheap starter turntable and got myself a few records and it is now 2019. I upgraded to a quality turntable and haven't looked back. Not to mention my pops gave me his whole vinyl collection :D

I have a modest mid-fi system that I listen to my vinyl on, and I prefer vinyl played on it far more than any other format.
I saw your avatar and knew you would like this. Found this first US pressing of Zappa's Roxy and Elsewhere concert. Shockingly sounds decent considering its age.
F8g2ybJ.jpg

Just finished listening to this fucking legendary record by Kyuss
t0wDdjm.jpg

I dabbled in vinyl back around 2016 but didn't stick with it. Which is a shame because I had a decent record collection from when I was a kid that I never got rid of. I had pretty much the entire vinyl catalog of The Eagles, Elvis, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Bob Segar... all sorts of stuff that I had stored away in boxes from the late '80s until 2016.
So, I bought a $100 turntable & a few new albums as well. Spent a couple of weeks listening to them & then I blew a speaker somehow & just sort of gave up on the whole thing by neglecting to replace the speaker. After that, the time just got away from me & before I knew it I was packing up all my shit to move last month. And, I knew that there just wasn't going to be room in the moving van for my records. I agonized over it for a little bit & contemplated trying to sell my them but I wound up giving them away to a dude in my the building before we left. I probably could have gotten some good money for them but I just didn't have the time to sell them. So, the neighbor got the equipment & my collection for free. I think he appreciated it & will enjoy them though so...

Back