How much more weight can a person bench using arch?

DanDragon Machi

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Have you already tested the weight how much more weight you can to put on arch bench comparing with flat? Is it possible to stipulate an average?

Last edited:
Tried it, felt like a cat in heat and went back flat.

There's probably no real answer to this question, since there's probably not enough data out there, at least not that I'm aware of, and ability to arch varies a lot by individual.

Try a max arch bench and a flat back bench or feet up bench and let us know. An easier way to standardize it would be to compare a regular bench vs 1-board press, or regular bench vs decline, but I'm not aware of any reliable statistics regarding that either, neither do I think they would be very relevant in any sense. You can see some here, but probably not very reliable as they are anonymous personal submissions:

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bench-press-vs-decline-bench-press/lb#standardsMale

I believe arching, apart from cutting the ROM, also changes the pressing mechanics slightly and orients the muscle fibers in a slightly more efficient direction (you are turning the flat bench into something more like a decline). So if you could find the average difference between a 15 degree decline (or some other angle) and a flat bench, maybe you could speculate some sort of ceiling for how much difference an arch of different degrees could make. I would speculate that difference is something like 5% at the low end and 15-20% at the high end, but that's just something I made up based on general impressions. But again, I would assume a pretty large amount of variability between individuals, so an average would be useless at the individual level even if you could gather the data.

Last edited:
There's probably no real answer to this question, since there's probably not enough data out there, at least not that I'm aware of, and ability to arch varies a lot by individual.

Try a max arch bench and a flat back bench or feet up bench and let us know. An easier way to standardize it would be to compare a regular bench vs 1-board press, or regular bench vs decline, but I'm not aware of any reliable statistics regarding that either, neither do I think they would be very relevant in any sense. You can see some here, but probably not very reliable as they are anonymous personal submissions:

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bench-press-vs-decline-bench-press/lb#standardsMale

I believe arching also changes the pressing mechanics slightly and orients the muscle fibers in a slightly more efficient direction (you are turning the flat bench into something more like a decline). So if you could find the average difference between a 15 degree decline (or some other angle) and a flat bench, maybe you could speculate some sort of ceiling for how much difference a big arch could make. I would speculate that difference is something like 5% at the low end and 15-20% at the high end, but that's just something I made up based on general impressions. But again, I would assume a pretty large amount of variability between individuals, so an average would be useless at the individual level even if you could gather the data.

How much the difference would you speculate with an arch like this

I have no idea. I also feel like it's a bit of a pointless question to be honest, the easiest way to find out would be to just go ahead and test it. What makes you so curious about this?

He's trying to convince himself that the girl in the video isn't actually stronger than him.

I was giving TS a chance to explain himself, but this seems like a likely hypothesis <{outtahere}>. Maybe TS was considering a sex change in order to be competitive in PL and realized that it wouldn't cut it?

Don't worry TS, just keep training and see what happens, you'll get there.

I hate these fucks who can't accept that people are just going to be stronger than you, no matter what sex they are.

I maxed out at 340x12 on the flat bench with no arch last year, I'm plagued with injuries because of 20 years of lifting on and off, arching my back like a cat seems like a good way to make myself eligible for disability. I'd imagine it would be what your decline bench is because of the angle and the shortened range of motion.

Well they'd be be competing with other people who can do the same thing so not much of an advantage. I would speculate maybe as much as a 20% difference without the giant Arch

How are you built? How do you feel the strongest when you bench?

Pointless question with no answer because it all boils down to "it depends on the individual."

i duno but it doesnt look healthy and it looks like cheating even though it isnt, plenty of lifters can keep there back flat

Less weight than you gain by touch and go benching compared to pause.

Arching your back and reducing the range of motion? Of course it's going to help. Just like gripping wider and reducing the range of motion that way.

I mean, not really, or everyone would just bench with a max grip width.
Well you would know about powerlifting more than I... but don't most powerlifters grip wider to maximize the amount of weight they can put up?

I know the benefits of gripping wider and narrower for bodybuilding as working specific muscles more or less is more important that putting up max weight on every set.

Back