How much protein do you eat?

I do exercise from 7 to 8 am and eating chicken 2 days a week. Is this sufficient to maintain my proper protein level?

1-1,5 just seems like way too much. I weigh around 200 lbs, then I would have to eat 200-300 grams of protein a day. That just seems excessive and unnecessary.
I highly doubt you are 200lbs lean. Try using your lean weight for protein which you could just estimate.

I weigh 178 at the moment and I get about 150-160 grams of protein. You would probably be fine with 180-190. Either cutting or bulking.

I highly doubt you are 200lbs lean. Try using your lean weight for protein which you could just estimate.

I weigh 178 at the moment and I get about 150-160 grams of protein. You would probably be fine with 180-190. Either cutting or bulking.
Ah yeah there seems to be a confusion about the numbers and whether or not they are based on lean mass or BW. I didn't pick up on that you wrote lean mass in regards to bulking, and BW in regards to cutting. There's also the the matter of g/kg with g/lbs which is two very different things. Not saying you were inconsistent, just that most of the literature bases recommedation on g/kg of BW.

Yeah 180-190g sounds kinda reasonable, but still like a lot. A new meta-analysis from the BJSM found the additional benefit of protein on FFM plateaued around 1,03 to 2,2 g/kg during RET and suggested an average of 1,6 g/kg which would be around 150g of protein for me daily (1). That is probably around where I sit right now on most days and it seems to be working well.

Last edited:
Ah yeah there seems to be a confusion about the numbers and whether or not they are based on lean mass or BW. I didn't pick up on that you wrote lean mass in regards to bulking, and BW in regards to cutting. There's also the the matter of g/kg with g/lbs which is two very different things. Not saying you were inconsistent, just that most of the literature bases recommedation on g/kg of BW.

Yeah 180-190g sounds kinda reasonable, but still like a lot. A new meta-analysis from the BJSM found the additional benefit of protein on FFM plateaud from 1,03 to 2,2 g/kg during RET and suggested an average of 1,6 g/kg which would be around 150g of protein for me daily (1). That is probably around where I sit right now on most days and it seems to be working well.
I'm really hoping that it's true becuase protein is y least favourite macro and it's stupid expensive.

The upper limits of lean body mass is where I like to keep mine just to be safe. I may not need it though but you never know.

If assisted you’d benefit from up to 1.5 grams per lb of bodyweight due to increased protein synthesis.

Otherwise overeating Protein is just an expensive, inefficient way of creating energy (gluconeogenesis).

Yeah, I will be teaching an overview of gluconeogensis in laboratory classes at the University of Western Ontario this fall as a Ph.D. student lol

Make sure your protein powders are independently tested by a 3rd party. For example, look for NSF or Informed Choice Certified labels on the containers!

Does anyone know where Myprotein gets its whey from? Is it from China or somewhere else? How can I find out?

I eat 80-100+ grams a day. I currently weigh 83.5kg which is just below 185lbs.

Stephen Wonderboy Thompson has btw a video on his youtube channel on what he typically eats during a day and it was also around 80+ grams of protein, as far as i remember.

1-1.5 grams/lb of bodyweight will probably help you to build muscle faster/build more muscle, but as long as you're not a bodybuilder, way less should be sufficient for maintenance of a decent muscular, but not Paulo Costa-like physique.

So I've been thinking a bit about protein lately.

We've pretty much worked out now that eating fat doesn't instantly mean that it goes to your fat stores. It goes through a denature process that is then used as energy by the body (I think... not a scientist). But what about protein. Conventional wisdom is that you need protein to build muscle (1 gram per pound is a ratio I hear a lot), but wouldn't proteins be broken down the same way fat does? I'm thinking of those chunky sheep I have in my top paddock who eat zero grams of protein a day, but they still have a lot of meat on them.

In my bro days I used to try and get about 180-200 grams per day, both through supps and eating meat. These days I don't really watch how much I'm taking in. I'll usually have 1-2 meat meals a day, and occasionally have a protein drink as a meal replacement, but I doubt I'm getting anywhere near what I used to take in. The one thing I do watch is how much sugar I eat, and I avoid bread.

Thing is, I look better these days than I did when I was younger. I do a lot more compound lifts and HIIT sessions now whereas back then it used to be all about the 12x3 iso movements.

So how much do you guys take in? Do you find it helps, or just makes you fart more?

Dont know about your sheep comparison. To be honest this reminds me of some vegan documentary I watched a few weeks back that ended in me shouting at the screen.... we are not sheep. Therefore we have different cellular requirements my friend. What you also didnt state was whether these two "Meat meals" and the protein shake are the only meals you have each day or if there are a couple of other small meals that arent meat based but contain generous amounts of protein (complete or not) i.e. - peanut butter, lentils in your salads and so on. You might be getting more than you think*

Now im pretty sure your body can only absorb so much at any given time anyway (something to bear in mind during those big meals or any meal, honestly if your competing or training mma (which you didnt state) as long as your getting protein shakes after your workouts I wouldnt worry about counting grams of protein.. I would just focus on getting it in at the right times if anything (after workout) which you probably already are, and pay a little attention to carbs - ***which carb sources are making you feel sharper*** and getting those sources in at appropriate times also.. (before and after training).. the cleaner the carb sources the better (sweet potatoe, brown rice, oats, quinoa).. this is an mma site.. I see a lot of people worrying about protein.. if your eating clean 80 percent of the time and doing your cardio you should look and feel good.. this isnt a bodybuilding site. Dont overthink this.. worry about where you are getting the protein from and focus on training.. you said it yourself that you feel and look better these days.. I put that down to making sure your doing your HIIT with your compounds (builds muscle in all the right places) and cutting out the bread. Body composition over "More".. basically.

By 12x3, I dont know if you mean 12 reps for 3 sets or 12 sets by 3 reps.. but sounds like your on an entirely different training game now. Just keep at it. Honestly I think people over complicate this stuff (ME INCLUDED!!), in my opinion eating clean and not cutting out carbs entirely (keto isnt for everybody) and doing your cardio with your lifting I think your gonna look and feel better than someone focusing on macro's and just lifting without some intense form of cardio a few times a week, and then potentially taking in excessive calories. Bearing in mind our body types and metabolisms all differ at the cellular level.

Last edited:
70424072-1.jpg

Put it in the ground, burry it. Look it's you.

I shoot for 185 g minimum

Excuse me? That is true bub
Why the fuck are you shaking your head no if you dont mind

Because you're postulating and making incredibly bold and inaccurate statements with nothing to to back them up. Post more of your crazy hypotheses, we'll all be waiting.

Oh, and be sure to complete avoid the part where everyone presses you for sources/research to back up your claims, that really completes the picture.

I'm just trying to spread the knowledge. I'm telling you what I know. And would not steer anyone wrong.
I learned these things while studying for my nationally accredited personal trainer certificate. And experience

Why are you trippin on this?

Probably because you're spreading misinformation rather than knowledge. Did you get your personal trainer certificate from Trump University?

I don't really track it, but I'd guess I eat about 12 to 18 ounces a day. I have no idea how many Grams that is, this is America for God's sake. :D

Seriously. If people trust you then you are being ignorant and reckless with your influence bc everything I said will benefit any person. You are simply wrong. But it's cool I know you are just playing around

I'm simply asking you to back up your claims with some research and studies that confirm the dumb shit you've said. The burden of proof is upon you, bub.

Do you need as personal trainer ?^^^ I got you lol just pay pal me. Everybody else is free

We can barter. I'll tutor you and bring up your reading comprehension skills and you can be my protein coach. Do you also offer lawn care services? My grass is getting pretty long.

Back