How necessary is bench press?

I'm saying that I've never been to a gym that had dumbbells over 120lbs. If I'm doing 5x5's and my one rep max on the bench is 350 lbs.. what good is 240lbs going to do for me?

If I want to do weight dips.... 5x5.. and my one rep max on the bench is 350 lbs... how likely is someone to straps three plus 45's to their waist every time? Sure you could do it but it becomes a chore at that point.

But at the end of the day..... if you're not lifting heavy none of this matters. I'm just saying if you get to the point where you're throwing around serious weight, bench press is most convenient for upper body.
I bench 365. My gym has dumbells that go up to 150. I've used the 130's a couple of times, but mostly stick to the 60-120's.

I bench 365. My gym has dumbells that go up to 150. I've used the 130's a couple of times, but mostly stick to the 60-120's.
Which makes sense. I believe the consensus is dumbbell press one rep max is 80 percent of barbell press.

Not how what works?

spongebob.jpg

Now I remember why I stick to posting on the BB forums in regards to these things.

You can’t just equate benching 120 lb drumbells to 240 lbs.

Am I missing something, or is that what you were doing here?

I'm saying that I've never been to a gym that had dumbbells over 120lbs. If I'm doing 5x5's and my one rep max on the bench is 350 lbs.. what good is 240lbs going to do for me?

I also wouldn’t do dumbbell bench for a 5x5, but that’s a personal preference thing.

Now I remember why I stick to posting on the BB forums in regards to these things.

I mean, you’re basically complaining about the effort involved with being strong lol...

I also wouldn’t do dumbbell bench for a 5x5, but that’s a personal preference thing.

Well maybe we aren't on the same page here. I'm just speaking generally since to be honest I'm not at the point where I'm outgrowing the heaviest (maybe they have heavier, I've never noticed). I do 5x5s or 6x6s on dumbbell presses just as I do on the bench. I don't mind hauling 90 lbs dumbbells from the rack to the bench and lifting them to do reps but I'd imagine it might be a chore when you get in the 120+ range. I just feel like it's easier to throw weights on a barbell and bench... especially at heavier weights.

I like to progressive overload with dumbbells as well, but that's just me. I feel like I get a better chest workout with dumbbells over the bench.

How much weight are you using for dips?

I find most people using insane amounts of weight for dips aren't using much ROM.

I liked demonstrating this by benching almost 450 instead of doing BW tricks mostly performed by guys weighing 150 lbs.
you can call what you want doesn't change the fact that it requires an insane amount of strength especially compared to the the average gym goer for sure. Dips will lead op far if he cant bench for what ever reason.

Last edited:
I think bench press is very important if you are working on upper body strength.

I like Bench, but most of the time I'm working out alone without a spotter and it's not always feasible in that circumstance so I do other things that work the same muscle group.

I like Bench, but most of the time I'm working out alone without a spotter and it's not always feasible in that circumstance so I do other things that work the same muscle group.

Don’t fail reps?

Don’t do fail reps?
Yep. That's what I usually do when I want to bench and don't have a spotter. Or I use dumbells and go for lower weight, higher reps.

I teach cardio classes and we do a shitload of Pushups in there too (100 per class). Having said that,Chest is kind of a "diminishing returns" thing for me. I feel pretty good about my strength and size but I tend get to a certain point and then to get beyond that, it takes more time than I am willing to spend to get beyond it. :D

I have elbow tendinitis that seems to flare up due to benching

I stick with overhead press and flies and seem to be ok as far as pain. I don't know if that translates to your shoulder pain, but it's what works for me.

I often wonder if I'm leaving gaps in my lifting because of the bench. I'm by no means a guy who knows much about lifting. I do zercher squats, deadlifts, flies, bent over rows, triceps kick backs and then several resistance band exercises. Sometimes I do dumbbell presses from a bridge on the ground, I don't know what that's called.

I feel like this is good, but I do wonder if the loss of bench leaves gaps.

@Nnedd Can you do dips and push ups without pain? Maybe even floor press. Bench press is not essential for most people.

@Nnedd Can you do dips and push ups without pain? Maybe even floor press. Bench press is not essential for most people.

Dips and push ups are out.

I already do floor press, with a glute bridge, using dumbells. I do that low weight, with higher reps.

Back