How should I train if I want to fight in the UFC in the future ?

James33x

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Ok so I'm new to this site I'm 17 and 5"8 and weigh on average of 185-190lbs with 15%-17% bodyfat depending on what I eat and my lifts are decent ig even tjotho I haven't trained in 1.5 yrs (I was in powerlifting track and football) but I maxed out a month ago to see where I am and rn I'm benching 230lbs sqautting 305lbs and deadlifting (conventional) 400lbs I maxed at my step Brothers house and I have a 72inch wingspan and most of my strengths in my back and I might not be the strongest for my size but I've always been very flexible for example I've been able to do a full split since I was 2 without any training and my elbows fingers wrist shoulders and ankles are all double jointed and also if I practice for 15mins a day for a week I can walk on my hands with my feet behind my head I'm just a very bendy person I just need some advice on how I should train to take advantage of my natural abilities something I've noticed is that since I'm double jointed I can strike from awkward angles most people atenar used to and I can headkick someone pretty easily because my flexibility and the only real fight training I've had is boxing since I was 12 and at 13yrs old I had boxed my first grown man and won by a knockdown and he quit im pretty explosive for my size but my cardios kinda not that great I ran a mile for the first time in a year and only got 6min and 25secs and thanks for the suggestions guys it all helps I just want to be in the UFC really bad it's always been a dream to me .

Snapchat-349297142.jpg here's me doing the splits just like 2 hours ago.

The newest generation of fighters have been training since they were young kids in some kind of combat sport. You're without a doubt pretty fair behind skillwise compared to other guys your age gunning for a career in MMA. They've all been wrestling, boxing, or training BJJ consistently for the better part of their lives. You should be doing the same if you want to catch up.

Why is fat percentage always mentioned in these posts?

Did fedor care about his fat percentage?

Pretty simple answer, find a gym and live there. Oh and be a good teammate no matter what anyone says MMA is a team sport until the cage door closes.

Definitely matters unless he's a heavyweight.

Pretty simple answer, find a gym and live there. Oh and be a good teammate no matter what anyone says MMA is a team sport until the cage door closes.

Definitely matters unless he's a heavyweight.

Not that much really even if he has to drop weight

The newest generation of fighters have been training since they were young kids in some kind of combat sport. You're without a doubt pretty fair behind skillwise compared to other guys your age gunning for a career in MMA. They've all been wrestling, boxing, or training BJJ consistently for the better part of their lives. You should be doing the same if you want to catch up.
Can add Muay Thai to that, tbh. @James33x your flexibility can be helpful in kickboxing and grappling (especially BJJ). You need to train bro, if UFC was a goal of yours you should have at least been wrestling in HS. Gotta find a good gym near you and go constantly.

Train smart bro. Sounds like you have a good starting base for your age. Good build, good strength and good reach. I think the biggest thing for your age is consistency. Get in the gym 6 days/week and learn as much as you can.

don’t make the same mistake as a lot of the young guys. People always say “train hard af”, etc. And what happens? They end up getting injured trying to bang like a hero or injured in the weight room trying to ego lift. So train smart.

Put some time in consistently every day and don’t jack yourself up in the process. You’re young so you have a lot of time to learn. Train consistently, get mentally strong and you will have a shot.

Train like there is another guy out there training to put you in the hospital.

The talent pool in combat sports is low as fuck.

Just watch YouTube videos, take growth hormones and train 24/7.

You are still young as fuck by UFC standards and old as fuck by golf standards.

Just do it boii

You should be training the big 4, boxing , my wrestling, bjj. As often as you can with good coaches. Be a sponge in the gym, get your ass kicked, compete, and enjoy the ride.

It’s always way over what they think as well. 15-17, so the guy has top four to top two abs visible?

He looks fat.

TS you should be fighting at 145 pounds (walking 165-175) with that height.

It’s always way over what they think as well. 15-17, so the guy has top four to top two abs visible?

He looks fat.

TS you should be fighting at 145 pounds (walking 165-175) with that height.

Similar to my thoughts as well. Though, that seems absurdly large for FW (175lbs)

Sorry TS, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but no way you're 15-17% bf.

But let's just say you are 15~17 % bf. At your height, you should be in the Featherweight division. Which is 145lbs. Meaning that after rehydration, you should be in the 155~165ish range.

I'll do some math for you here:

At the high end, we'll assume you're 190lbs @ 15% bf. That means you're carrying 28.5 lbs of bf. 190-28.5= 161.5 Even if you lost all of your bf, which is impossible, you'd still be almost 162 lbs, meaning you couldn't even make the lower limit for the LW division.

On the low end,we'll assume you're 185lbs @ 17% bf. That would mean you're carrying 31.5lbs of fat. Again even if you did the impossible and lost all of your bf, you'd weigh 185-31.5= 153.5 barely under the limit for LW.

In either scenario above, there isn't a chance in hell you'd ever make FW. Which is the division you should be fighting at.

You might not have the body type for fighting to be honest. Or, you're going to have to sacrifice a ton of muscle mass to get down there.

Not trying to burst your bubble, and I wish you the best of luck, but not everyone was born to be a fighter.

Similar to my thoughts as well. Though, that seems absurdly large for FW (175lbs)

Sorry TS, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but no way you're 15-17% bf.

But let's just say you are 15~17 % bf. At your height, you should be in the Featherweight division. Which is 145lbs. Meaning that after rehydration, you should be in the 155~165ish range.

I'll do some math for you here:

At the high end, we'll assume you're 190lbs @ 15% bf. That means you're carrying 28.5 lbs of bf. 190-28.5= 161.5 Even if you lost all of your bf, which is impossible, you'd still be almost 162 lbs, meaning you couldn't even make the lower limit for the LW division.

On the low end,we'll assume you're 185lbs @ 17% bf. That would mean you're carrying 31.5lbs of fat. Again even if you did the impossible and lost all of your bf, you'd weigh 185-31.5= 153.5 barely under the limit for LW.

In either scenario above, there isn't a chance in hell you'd ever make FW. Which is the division you should be fighting at.

You might not have the body type for fighting to be honest. Or, you're going to have to sacrifice a ton of muscle mass to get down there.

Not trying to burst your bubble, and I wish you the best of luck, but not everyone was born to be a fighter.

175 pounds walking around, diet down to 165 (12-10 percent bf) in fight camp, reduce food and salt intake to strip glycogen week of fight to get to 160 while water loading, stop water loading and cut 15 pounds last 24 hours before weigh in, weigh in at 145, rehydrate and re-feed up to 165.

Looking at the picture he posted (and judging by his strength) he’s nowhere near 190 at 15 percent though.

I mean that’s pretty absurd, gsp was 5’10 190 at (around) 10 percent bf (carrying 19 pounds of fat).

TS is claiming 5’8, 190 at 15 percent bf (carrying 28.5 pounds of fat). No way he has only 9.5 pounds more fat and less muscle than 2 inches taller GSP.

Dudes focusing on height/weight are obsessing over pointless metrics at this point. If you're 17, and have zero combat sports experience, you're not ever going to fight in the UFC. You can start training, and work your ass off, and get some experience competing in the local circuit. Have more reasonable expectations and have fun with it.

Find the highest quality amateur type combat striking sports gyms/coaches available in your region.
Whether it is boxing, Muay Thai or even karate style kickboxing. Whatever has a thriving competitive scene in your area.
Find a sport / gym you like and immerse yourself in it.

Do that alongside competitive wrestling in high school/college. If you don't have access to that have a look for competitive submission grappling via BJJ or MMA gym.

For strength & conditioning do gymnastics / tumbling based stuff and nothing else.

There isn't really any such thing as the perfect formula. Most would say that wrestling, BJJ & Muay Thai is the perfect formula but look at guys like Wonderboy who do none of that, actually avoiding grappling at all costs! Yet remains at top of the game.
There are many paths to become successful in this highly diverse sport. I would just emphasise the goal of becoming exceptional at both a striking and grappling art. The best way to become exceptional is to
A: enjoy it
B: pick something for which world class coaching is accessible to you
C: regular national level competition in pure grappling and striking sports.

Regarding C:
These give you the breathing space and platform to develop your skills to a much higher level than MMA because you aren't getting kicked and punched while trying your grappling techniques and you aren't being taken down while trying to apply striking techniques. And in amateur styles you won't end up with CTE before you even get good.

No one (that I know of) has successfully cracked the tandem careers in pro boxing and MMA. But there is no reason why a young guy couldn't achieve that.

Back