How should I train if I want to fight in the UFC in the future ?

I think the most important was always said.
Life is a question of repetitions. If you want to compete in the UFC one day, you need to clock in those hours training MMA. Because this is the S&C sub forum, I will give an answer specific to that.

Strength and conditioning is very important, but the majority of the conditioning needed to compete is going to be developed while training the different disciplines of MMA.

In my opinion, a good percentage of S&C for MMA should be similar to physical rehab exercises. Specific exercises meant to strengthen weaknesses and correct imbalances that can led to injury.

MMA training is already high intensity, try to keep the intensity level of your S&C sessions low, never go to failure. If you’re going for heavy lifting or explosive movements like box jumping or sprints, keep the volume low.

Conclusion, be consistent and don’t be injured. Majority of your time should be dedicated to training MMA. Strength and conditioning should always be centered around your training and weaknesses.

Similar to my thoughts as well. Though, that seems absurdly large for FW (175lbs)

Sorry TS, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but no way you're 15-17% bf.

But let's just say you are 15~17 % bf. At your height, you should be in the Featherweight division. Which is 145lbs. Meaning that after rehydration, you should be in the 155~165ish range.

I'll do some math for you here:

At the high end, we'll assume you're 190lbs @ 15% bf. That means you're carrying 28.5 lbs of bf. 190-28.5= 161.5 Even if you lost all of your bf, which is impossible, you'd still be almost 162 lbs, meaning you couldn't even make the lower limit for the LW division.

On the low end,we'll assume you're 185lbs @ 17% bf. That would mean you're carrying 31.5lbs of fat. Again even if you did the impossible and lost all of your bf, you'd weigh 185-31.5= 153.5 barely under the limit for LW.

In either scenario above, there isn't a chance in hell you'd ever make FW. Which is the division you should be fighting at.

You might not have the body type for fighting to be honest. Or, you're going to have to sacrifice a ton of muscle mass to get down there.

Not trying to burst your bubble, and I wish you the best of luck, but not everyone was born to be a fighter.
I'd say it's (in this case) not a thing of being born for it or not, but like you've mentioned the apparent (too) high amount of muscle he has!
In terms of reach and height he'd be close to Volkanovski, if i'm not mistaken!

Similar to my thoughts as well. Though, that seems absurdly large for FW (175lbs)

Sorry TS, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but no way you're 15-17% bf.

But let's just say you are 15~17 % bf. At your height, you should be in the Featherweight division. Which is 145lbs. Meaning that after rehydration, you should be in the 155~165ish range.

I'll do some math for you here:

At the high end, we'll assume you're 190lbs @ 15% bf. That means you're carrying 28.5 lbs of bf. 190-28.5= 161.5 Even if you lost all of your bf, which is impossible, you'd still be almost 162 lbs, meaning you couldn't even make the lower limit for the LW division.

On the low end,we'll assume you're 185lbs @ 17% bf. That would mean you're carrying 31.5lbs of fat. Again even if you did the impossible and lost all of your bf, you'd weigh 185-31.5= 153.5 barely under the limit for LW.

In either scenario above, there isn't a chance in hell you'd ever make FW. Which is the division you should be fighting at.

You might not have the body type for fighting to be honest. Or, you're going to have to sacrifice a ton of muscle mass to get down there.

Not trying to burst your bubble, and I wish you the best of luck, but not everyone was born to be a fighter.

Incorrect.

Cutting weight for competition involves dropping a lot of water. Which makes your calculation fundamentally flawed and bad info.

If youre intending to go pro, i strongly recommend getting the help of an expert with weight cutting and not rely on wherever you learnt that shit.

Don't focus too much on being able to lift heavy weights and instead focus more on cardio.

Get some knee pads and work on head bobs.
Get a couple pictures of Dana and convince yourself you really, really want this.

Then just start working on your trash talk game by going on Twitter and insulting top fighters.

Pretty simple, really.

I was decent at high school football but I would have never even sniffed D1 college level let alone the NFL no matter what I did. Watch Mitch Aguiar on Jocko podcast and then look up his MMA record. You aren't going to get to the UFC at 17 in 2020 without being extremely gifted. At 17, you should already be able to see you are more gifted athletically than other kids around you. If you don't, then you should have more realistic dreams.

Ok so I'm new to this site I'm 17 and 5"8 and weigh on average of 185-190lbs with 15%-17% bodyfat depending on what I eat and my lifts are decent ig even tjotho I haven't trained in 1.5 yrs (I was in powerlifting track and football) but I maxed out a month ago to see where I am and rn I'm benching 230lbs sqautting 305lbs and deadlifting (conventional) 400lbs I maxed at my step Brothers house and I have a 72inch wingspan and most of my strengths in my back and I might not be the strongest for my size but I've always been very flexible for example I've been able to do a full split since I was 2 without any training and my elbows fingers wrist shoulders and ankles are all double jointed and also if I practice for 15mins a day for a week I can walk on my hands with my feet behind my head I'm just a very bendy person I just need some advice on how I should train to take advantage of my natural abilities something I've noticed is that since I'm double jointed I can strike from awkward angles most people atenar used to and I can headkick someone pretty easily because my flexibility and the only real fight training I've had is boxing since I was 12 and at 13yrs old I had boxed my first grown man and won by a knockdown and he quit im pretty explosive for my size but my cardios kinda not that great I ran a mile for the first time in a year and only got 6min and 25secs and thanks for the suggestions guys it all helps I just want to be in the UFC really bad it's always been a dream to me .

Since no punctuation didn't read. But the best you can do is focus on actual fighting skills. At your age try to so wrestling and form of striking like boxing or kickboxing.

I was decent at high school football but I would have never even sniffed D1 college level let alone the NFL no matter what I did. Watch Mitch Aguiar on Jocko podcast and then look up his MMA record. You aren't going to get to the UFC at 17 in 2020 without being extremely gifted. At 17, you should already be able to see you are more gifted athletically than other kids around you. If you don't, then you should have more realistic dreams.
That’s not true at all

James,

Best of luck chasing your dreams, but there is a lot of hard work trying to turn them into a reality.

How should you train? It’s a very broad question with so many variables.

But your focus should be on MMA skills. In an MMA fight being strong and powerful helps, and being fit helps, but MMA skills are the largest component of what separates average fighters from good fighters. There are plenty of extremely strong guys or extremely fit guys that have tried to make it in MMA. What gets fighters into the UFC? Their ability to fight!

As for the gym, I’d recommend lifting twice per week and focusing on the primary lifts (basic compound movements – squats, deadlifts, standing press, bench press, bent over row, dips, pull ups). Why only twice per week? Because with your martial arts background I'd recommend you put most of your time and energy into developing the technical and tactical skills required in the sport!

I am sure you can offer no argument. Like I said, look up Mitch Aguiar. You obviously completely underrate UFC fighters to say this.
Considering I personally know about 6 ufc fighters and train with 3 of them regularly...

It’s always way over what they think as well. 15-17, so the guy has top four to top two abs visible?

He looks fat.

TS you should be fighting at 145 pounds (walking 165-175) with that height.
I'm the same height and I walk around 140lbs. I'm actually 15% (maybe a bit less) but I train and diet my ass off.

Dudes focusing on height/weight are obsessing over pointless metrics at this point. If you're 17, and have zero combat sports experience, you're not ever going to fight in the UFC. You can start training, and work your ass off, and get some experience competing in the local circuit. Have more reasonable expectations and have fun with it.
This. He has little to no experience and seems overconfident with his skill level.

First step is to join a gym and get your ass kicked. Then if you like it come back for more and start building from there.

Find a legit professional level gym and do everything you can to learn everything they do and be the best. If you're not gifted get a more realistic goal. Don't worry about lifting really, your focus should be all on technique, like someone said once or twice a week is more than enough.

Back