How to increase punching power??

Rajon Rondo

Can you even see my profile picture?
Banned
Reaction score
Been doing Knuckle Push-ups, heavy bag workouts etc.

What else to do?

Get a coach or watch technique videos. Quickest way to punch not only harder, but more efficient. Getting your most bang for your buck outta your punches

Been doing Knuckle Push-ups, heavy bag workouts etc.

What else to do?
which punches lack power? when are you feeling you lack power? how are you preforming in sparring and in matches? are you sitting down on your punches?

What bothers me most about posts like this is that the OPs clearly don't actually train.
Basic questions like this can be answered by 90% of coaches/trainers/senseis/etc.

I get a MT dude asking about karate or TKD kicks that aren't in MT.

I get a karate dude asking about over hands, but this? This is just some super basic shit.

Did you try channeling your chi tho? Try that.

What bothers me most about posts like this is that the OPs clearly don't actually train.
Basic questions like this can be answered by 90% of coaches/trainers/senseis/etc.

I get a MT dude asking about karate or TKD kicks that aren't in MT.

I get a karate dude asking about over hands, but this? This is just some super basic shit.

Yup this is normally the case.

In answer to OP tho:

Improve your form, don't skip leg day and do resistance band pulled hooks. Don't do resistance band punching with it across your back, that doesn't work. Instead hold a band tied round something in the opposite hand to what your punching and pull from your lat to pull your hook through the target. Punches are pull motions, not push motions.

Post on sherdog. This subforum specifically to improve punching power

Yup this is normally the case.

In answer to OP tho:

Improve your form, don't skip leg day and do resistance band pulled hooks. Don't do resistance band punching with it across your back, that doesn't work. Instead hold a band tied round something in the opposite hand to what your punching and pull from your lat to pull your hook through the target. Punches are pull motions, not push motions.
what do you think of cleans and snatches(take that anyway you want) for athletes?
in the USA none of the guys at my boxing gym did Olympic lifts. it was mostly heavy compound lifts and powerlifting or bodybuilding high rep stuff. Here in Shanghai a lot of the guys do Olympic lifts, and bodyweight stuff.
I personally feel that learning how to explode in he lift is very helpful to getting that nice fire into your punches IMO

what do you think of cleans and snatches(take that anyway you want) for athletes?
in the USA none of the guys at my boxing gym did Olympic lifts. it was mostly heavy compound lifts and powerlifting or bodybuilding high rep stuff. Here in Shanghai a lot of the guys do Olympic lifts, and bodyweight stuff.
I personally feel that learning how to explode in he lift is very helpful to getting that nice fire into your punches IMO

olympic lifts in general is a great way to build explosive power IMO. Learning proper technique will always be #1 though.

olympic lifts in general is a great way to build explosive power IMO. Learning proper technique will always be #1 though.
of course technique first. but after learning how to clean and get that pop in the lift really unlocked what sin was teaching about hip fold and popping up the heel. I threw a couple right hands that I is he did videod because they were like Rembrandts

unfortunately I can't seem to get em back

Everything I've heard about olympic lifts is that they have fantastic benefits for any type of athlete, but I'm not an S&C expert

Focus on mechanics, from the ground up. Foot placement, hip rotation/weight transfer, core strengthening etc.

And then work your way up to keeping your core intact, punch positioning and when the best time is to punch during your rotation/shifts are.

And then learn how to properly sit on your punches while making subtle weight shifts while being relaxed.

And do this over and over again.

The punch is just the bullet, everything else is the gun! The hand/punch is literally the last thing you should be worrying about and is the biggest misconception with punching power.

Whilst I was boxing I was also training MMA. The Oly lifts made my throws and takedowns as explosive as hell and my punching power did improve a bit but I'd say the Oly lifts do more for grappling than punching. I found stuff like med ball throws and slams worked really good for increasing power in a ballistic fashion. And the heavy bag is a ballistic training tool which shouldn't be overlooked just because it's a standard. I feel like pad work really helps build snap in your shots as well.

IMHO the best way to improve boxing is to do boxing. Olympic lifts wil help general functional strength and explosveness but in the end nothing helps as much as actually learning from good trainers and refining your punching and overall boxing technique ever better and better and practising what you learned on the heavy bag. Power is definitety concentrated in the lower body and proper boxing technique engsges the legs and hits and core as the power train.

Back