Opinion How to pay for Medicare 4 all

It's like people lose their minds and listen to fear mongering who tell them there will be "death panels" and "you can't choose your doctor".

Just need to ask their parents or grandparents if they choose their own doctors.
The reason you cannot choose your own dr under medicare is that more and more drs are refusing to accept medicare.

It's not really complicated. Supporters of the plan believe that it would reduce overall costs and it could be paid for with higher taxes. So people's insurance premiums would go to zero, and their taxes would go up, but most people would come out ahead on the deal.

How much? How much will people's taxes go up?

No one knows for sure, so how can you say people will come out ahead?

The reason you cannot choose your own dr under medicare is that more and more drs are refusing to accept medicare.
You can choose your own doctor. You misread my post.

My parents chose their own doctors.

Do you actually believe that?

Even if 'most people' do come out ahead, that doesn't make it fair. 46% of the population makes less than $30k.

To get that bottom 51% to come out 'on top' doesn't necessarily mean dumping all the cost on the 1%ers.

It means dumping it on the 49%ers. So people making like $35k/year will be in the crosshairs too.

This will disproportionately effect the middle class as these things always do. The super rich can afford whatever new tax gets added. It's the middle class that will get fucked.

It's not really complicated. Supporters of the plan believe that it would reduce overall costs and it could be paid for with higher taxes. So people's insurance premiums would go to zero, and their taxes would go up, but most people would come out ahead on the deal.

@Cunningham really laid out what I'd have asked as well. Sure in concept it isn't complicated, just like in concept the fairy godmother coming around with free stuff for everyone isn't complicated either. We're looking for some details.

@Cunningham really laid out what I'd have asked as well. Sure in concept it isn't complicated, just like in concept the fairy godmother coming around with free stuff for everyone isn't complicated either. We're looking for some details.

The same people who mercilessly grilled Trump about the cost of the wall suddenly think the details don't matter much when it comes to this, MUCH more expensive proposal.

And what happens to the million plus Americans who work in the health insurance industry? Straight to the unemployment line, no doubt.

The same people who mercilessly grilled Trump about the cost of the wall suddenly think the details don't matter much when it comes to this, MUCH more expensive proposal.

For sure, It's a symptom of TDS.
They didn't care about the amount of time and money wasted on the impeachment sham either.

Like most of us have always said if Trump found a cure for cancer they'd find fault in it.

For sure, It's a symptom of TDS.
They didn't care about the amount of time and money wasted on the impeachment sham either.

Like most of us have always said if Trump found a cure for cancer they'd find fault in it.

Honestly it's not really a TDS thing. They just don't give a fuck about spending. They only pretend to care when it's something like the wall.

Same way Republicans suddenly care about the national debt when a Democrat is in office and then completely forget about it when a Republican is in office.

Both parties spend like drunken divorcees.

And it makes sense to when you believe in this federal reserve 'just print more money' mentality.

Why though would a doctor refuse to accept medicare? You know that government money is going to be on time. Not saying you're wrong I just don't understand it.

I assume it won't be paid for.

It will happen, we will just keep writing more IOUs for generations.

What did he ask?

I think it's actually so simple that there are multiple ways to do it. It's odd to me that it's even seen as mysterious, and I'm not even fully on-board with it. Also strange that no one asks, "how are we going to pay for a $2T giveaway to heirs, big corporations, etc.?" Just reversing that is a nice step.

What did he ask?

I think it's actually so simple that there are multiple ways to do it. It's odd to me that it's even seen as mysterious, and I'm not even fully on-board with it. Also strange that no one asks, "how are we going to pay for a $2T giveaway to heirs, big corporations, etc.?" Just reversing that is a nice step.

How much? How much will people's taxes go up?

No one knows for sure, so how can you say people will come out ahead?

Even if 'most people' do come out ahead, that doesn't make it fair. 46% of the population makes less than $30k.

To get that bottom 51% to come out 'on top' doesn't necessarily mean dumping all the cost on the 1%ers.

It means dumping it on the 49%ers. So people making like $35k/year will be in the crosshairs too.

This will disproportionately effect the middle class as these things always do. The super rich can afford whatever new tax gets added. It's the middle class that will get fucked.

Is this plan as simple as scrolling back one page to see what someone asked you directly?

Is this plan as simple as scrolling back one page to see what someone asked you directly?

Jackie's doing his usual 'I have to announce I have that guy on ignore' routine. Of course he's read my post lol.

Honestly it's not really a TDS thing. They just don't give a fuck about spending. They only pretend to care when it's something like the wall.

Same way Republicans suddenly care about the national debt when a Democrat is in office and then completely forget about it when a Republican is in office.

And it makes sense to when you believe in this federal reserve 'just print more money' mentality.

Great post here. You're selective outrage point does make sense, I just think at least some of that outrage is driven by TDS. But I have to agree with you that most of them pretend to care as you put it, or are phonies as I call them.

Jackie's doing his usual 'I have to announce I have that guy on ignore' routine. Of course he's read my post lol.

Lol yeah.....and here we are STILL waiting on an actual response...

Great post here. You're selective outrage point does make sense, I just think at least some of that outrage is driven by TDS. But I have to agree with you that most of them pretend to care as you put it, or are phonies as I call them.

Lol yeah.....and here we are STILL waiting on an actual response...

The truth is no one will know how much their taxes are going to go up until they get the bill.

I don't think most Americans know how high the taxes here in Canada are and I don't think most Canadians know any different so don't realize how crippling the taxes here really are.

Even working a joe job making $2400 a month you are giving about ~$500 to the taxman every month. That's the difference between renting an apartment and paying the mortgage on a house.

Isn’t he basically saying it will be 4% per person on everything over 29k? Then, with a monopoly on funding for medical treatment, prices are negotiated down. The assumption is that Medicare has significantly less administrative cost than private insurance, and that eliminating profit for middle men can get a higher percentage of overall funding into actual patient treatment.

Its a terrible deal for me as someone with relatively high income and no out of pocket payments for health insurance, but probably good for a lot of people. I think he’ll probably lose on the all in tax burden of his platform. I’m unlikely to vote for Trump, but I’d sit out the election entirely if I think Bernie will cause me unreasonable financial hardship.

It's funny how NPR like to annunciate the "bill" in billion when talking about the border wall cost to try to color listeners' perception that it's a lot. Even more blatant was when Mary Louise Kelly reminded listeners that it's billion with a B.

The sticking point has been President Trump's demand for $5 billion - that's billion with a B - $5 billion towards his long-sought-after Border Wall.

Isn’t he basically saying it will be 4% per person on everything over 29k? Then, with a monopoly on funding for medical treatment, prices are negotiated down. The assumption is that Medicare has significantly less administrative cost than private insurance, and that eliminating profit for middle men can get a higher percentage of overall funding into actual patient treatment.

Its a terrible deal for me as someone with relatively high income and no out of pocket payments for health insurance, but probably good for a lot of people. I think he’ll probably lose on the all in tax burden of his platform. I’m unlikely to vote for Trump, but I’d sit out the election entirely if I think Bernie will cause me unreasonable financial hardship.
So an extra 4% tax on everything over 29k a year when it’s already hit twice for federal income and ss tax? Nice, lay all the fucking burden on people like me in that 30-60k range.

Back