How to take away a southpaws left kick?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
To the body?
Just curious if anyone has any YouTube videos or resources

Circle to the opposite side. Its hard to take away their kick because naturally the stance opens up just that side. I'd say solid defence and look at what the southpaw is doing to take away your right kick. The process is the same he just does it more often.

Catch it to the body or head, and spike it with the knee if they throw it low.

try stepping to your 11 o clock (his right side) and throwing a cross down the middle

My last fight was against a guy who's main weapon was his left leg. Either switch kick or from south paw.

All the various Catch and counters, step left to take the power away and left hook at the same time (check hook basically), kick out his right leg.

Anything he can do, you can do. The angles are the same for both. The southpaw is just in that position more than you. He should be asking how to take away your right kick.

I'm a southpaw.

If they throw it to the body, block/elbow the top of their foot.

The second they realize what your doing it will make them hesitate for the rest of the fight.

Your options

Block with 1 arm
Block With 2 arms
Block with 1 arm and knee
Catch it and counter with sweep or strike, carefully to not take a heavy kick to the body, you can partially block it or step to opposing side and then Catch it
Counter it with your own strike like a straight punch or timed front kick to body, speed plays a role here
Block it and then counter like with something like a straight to the body, meaning fire your atack right after the block before he fully resets
Move away to make it miss

Taste of own medicine. Spam the rear power kicks

This, but unfortunately the southpaw fighter has the advantage because he can target the liver with his power kick (which can lead to a KO) where as the orthodox fighter doesn't have this advantage to target the liver with his power kick

Fast inside lowkick to their supporting leg while they kick.

If it is to the leg, and you're feeling froggy, you can do a switch step so that it misses while you are switching, and then try to overturn on the switch to throw a spinning hook kick. My fat ass dogged leg kicks with the switch a lot, though I'd just throw something straight after. I knew two people who could switch into the spinning hook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back