How to take away a southpaws left kick?

If it is to the leg, and you're feeling froggy, you can do a switch step so that it misses while you are switching, and then try to overturn on the switch to throw a spinning hook kick. My fat ass dogged leg kicks with the switch a lot, though I'd just throw something straight after. I knew two people who could switch into the spinning hook.

Too the body, the switch into the spinning hook works really good against American kickboxing body kicks because they still throw it like a closer range kick Thai style, but a lot of guys will spin all the way around, then put up a check leg if they whiff. It means they are basically just standing there in range for the spinning hook after you jump back to your own, preferred range.

check it (move your right leg towards the incoming kick so that there is a strong likelihood that his shin slams in to your knee area).

check it (move your right leg towards the incoming kick so that there is a strong likelihood that his shin slams in to your knee area).
i always get nervous using my rear leg to check. I’ve been swept too many times when the kicker reads the check and adjusts the kick to take out my base leg mid-movement

i always get nervous using my rear leg to check. I’ve been swept too many times when the kicker reads the check and adjusts the kick to take out my base leg mid-movement
True but pros and cons for everything - I prefer the rear leg to check the left leg roundhouse.

Walk into my right hook, my inverted jab or circle away and out of range...

Keep punching and close the distance. You can't kick if you're getting punched. - Im a southpaw a thats how the pro guys at my gym try to shut down my liverkick.. and it works most of the time.. then i just switch it up to knees instead.

Circle to your left which has been mentioned by many, teen often.
I found sweeps were the best way to almost completely stop them throwing the kick.
Stay close, with southpaws left hooks and straight rights

Keep your left foot on the outside of his left foot.

If the rear leg goes to the body block with your elbow, to the leg check with your leg. Try to move in a way that your elbow or shin blocks to their ankle area or just above it.

Just my opinion and what I learned and taught.

Back