How to Throw Faster Punches - Increase Hand Speed for Boxing

Centaur

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Some basic technique ajustments as well as some stuff you can do workout wise to increase your hand speed-

Punch faster instructionals always rubs me the wrong way, especially when you bring out that book... Kinda like all those miracle bald cures. Everybody knows it's genetic but want to pretend it's not.

Limb/punch speed stems from your nervous system (fast twitch muscle fibers), which is genetic. It has very little to do with anything else. And it can't be taught.

Last edited:
Punch faster instructionals always rubs me the wrong way, especially when you bring out that book... Kinda like all those miracle cures to get hair on a bald person. Everybody knows it's genetic but want to pretend it's not.
I believe likewise on your conclusion.

Limb/punch speed stems from your nervous system, which is genetic. It has very little to do with anything else. And it can't be taught.
Ah, no. Training improves performance of all kinds.<[analyzed}>

Some basic technique ajustments as well as some stuff you can do workout wise to increase your hand speed-

I feel this is more suitable for remedial training. Not some isolated concept. Students ought to be shown / taught to do right from the beginning.

MMA type styles depend too much on segmented instruction about EVERYTHING. You're one who really knows the whole package.

For internet, forums, I guess this kind of presentation ok.<{1-8}>

Punch faster instructionals always rubs me the wrong way, especially when you bring out that book... Kinda like all those miracle cures to get hair on a bald person. Everybody knows it's genetic but want to pretend it's not.

Limb/punch speed stems from your nervous system, which is genetic. It has very little to do with anything else. And it can't be taught.
A bit off topic, but relates to competence... I'm getting the feeling posters are criticizing your technique for discussion purposes. I don't see - overall - what's to complain about?

Guess if everything is good, there's nothing to talk about....<Wink>

Not everyone cane punch as fast as Pacquiao but I don’t believe this as fast as he could get without more training;

Punch faster instructionals always rubs me the wrong way, especially when you bring out that book... Kinda like all those miracle bald cures. Everybody knows it's genetic but want to pretend it's not.

Limb/punch speed stems from your nervous system (fast twitch muscle fibers), which is genetic. It has very little to do with anything else. And it can't be taught.

Yeah, a huge component of speed is genetic. But you absolutely can maximize that potential genetic speed with proper training, or hinder it with improper training.
That’s a fact. And I spend most of my day in a gym watching people train and many of them are doing more harm then good with the training protocols they choose.

If you want to point out specifically what in the video is wrong or wouldn’t work I’d love to hear it. I’m always open to honest debate and willing to learn (I’ve def been wrong before and have learned from discussions in this forum).

Yeah, a huge component of speed is genetic. But you absolutely can maximize that potential genetic speed with proper training, or hinder it with improper training.
That’s a fact. And I spend most of my day in a gym watching people train and many of them are doing more harm then good with the training protocols they choose.

If you want to point out specifically what in the video is wrong or wouldn’t work I’d love to hear it. I’m always open to honest debate and willing to learn (I’ve def been wrong before and have learned from discussions in this forum).

Do you kick slower if you're tensed as opposed to relaxed? It's the same principle. If it doesn't hold true for kicks it won't for punches either.

If I am tensed, my punching motion is shortened and the technique is worse, but the speed is the same. Being overly tense is bad for the reason you stated, you gas out. I've also heard it been said by my boxing coach that you don't see the punches coming.

So yeah I disagree with speed part and since you titled it punching faster we are in a disagreement here.

Guy punched way harder tensed and there was no difference in speed.

So there's your proof.

i believe wholeheartedly in what you say. and can speak from first hand experience. i used to think (know) i was slow so i didn't worry about it, this lead to massive degradation in what ever little bit of natural speed i had. i have addressed this mentality recently and deliberately train to improve my speed. i have quicker hands now at 34 than i had at twenty.
the other interesting thing i noticed is how much simply adjusting my mentally had on the physicality of the whole exercise.
i used to just punch for power and was skinny as fuck, all the muscle i developed was on the shoulders and gluts, triceps got a bit of a workout but not a lot. know that i have focused on hand speed i have noticed that the arm muscles are doing a lot more work, especially the biceps (i actually try to bring my punches back too guard these days, it only took 14 years, i must be slippin').

"
i believe wholeheartedly in what you say. and can speak from first hand experience. i used to think (know) i was slow so i didn't worry about it, this lead to massive degradation in what ever little bit of natural speed i had. i have addressed this mentality recently and deliberately train to improve my speed. i have quicker hands now at 34 than i had at twenty.
"Suffered massive degradation..." Yur another Stephan Kesting. Stumbling along through martial arts,,,, then SUDDENLY, REALIZATION washes over you.<Oku04>

I'll stop there... the rest of ur comment is really silly. tIM tAMS.

I believe its mental. I am as fast as fast gets if u ask me, but I've always thought that and never thought anything else so shit. I've definitely gotten faster at times and slower at diff times, and I've always thought I was as fast as ever.

So I think its just belief, if u want to be fast, then throw fast.

Once again though, I've always thought the way I have and for that reason, I don't really know for sure if genetics play a factor. For me It's always been just belief that I'm as fast as the fighters I look up to, and to be like them.

I do know this, its very difficult for me to throw a punch slow. Like I have to mentally try and slow things down if I want to throw a real punch slow, and even then everything in my body when it comes to torque and explosive kinetic chaining gets messed up. Sometimes I wish I could throw slow, cuz then throwing 100 punches in a row would get me through the round while being active - but for me to throw 100 punches in a round, it takes so much explosive energy to let shots off and if I throw consistently for a whole round I'll probably throw like 150-200 which no one can maintain, I literally have to box in bursts. This may be that I've trained/wired my body to be as fast as possible though.

No idea but I do know one thing for fact, anyone can get faster if they aren't mentally believing they are doing things as fast as they can. It goes a long way.

I always hear about how you should keep your elbows by your ribs for defense, but not many people mention how you can use your trunk rotation to push your elbows into a punch. I'm looking at the wrong places though.

I would rather have medium speed and many knockouts, than Mayweather speed and 27 Kos in 50 bouts.

Last time he knocked someone down was 1998 (excluding the sucker punch KO).

I would rather have medium speed and many knockouts, than Mayweather speed and 27 Kos in 50 bouts.

Last time he knocked someone down was 1998 (excluding the sucker punch KO).

That's just so false its ridiculous, He dropped Ricky Hatton, he dropped Marquez, he dropped so many fighters I can't even begin to name more off the top of my head right now.

If ur talking about won by KO victory in terms of a 10 count - its a TKO win no matter what if the ref stops the fight before counting to 10. Floyd's finishes weren't one punch Kos but were brutal and devastating beatings like the N'dou TKO, Corrales TKO, Gatti stoppage, and many more.

At one point Floyd was 24-0 with 18 ko's.

That's just so false its ridiculous, He dropped Ricky Hatton, he dropped Marquez, he dropped so many fighters I can't even begin to name more off the top of my head right now.

If ur talking about won by KO victory in terms of a 10 count - its a TKO win no matter what if the ref stops the fight before counting to 10. Floyd's finishes weren't one punch Kos but were brutal and devastating beatings like the N'dou TKO, Corrales TKO, Gatti stoppage, and many more.

Dudes just laying bait.

He did not win by KO since 1999 excluding the sucker punch KO on Ortiz. Fact.

Back