How would 2008 Faber vs Torres have gone?

Professional

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Both were Champs in their divisions and considered to be top p4p fighters at the time and this was a much sought after superfight that WEC fans wanted and discussed regularly. Looking back now, how do you think this fight would have gone?

Torres career obviously took a nosedive after Brian Bowles took his soul, and Faber remained a top 10-15 fighter in his division until he retired.

Torres was considered to be dangerous standing and off of his back at the time so Faber would have had to stand and strike with the taller, longer striker, or try and utilize a takedown heavy approach, which would have been considered risky with how active Torres was off his back.

Faber had very strong top control and utilized a lot of elbows and active gnp, so it could have ended up with Torres on his back looking for subs the whole time and striking from the bottom like when he got robbed against Mighty Mouse, or they could have kept the fight standing, where Torres was probably the more versatile striker, but Faber may have had the speed and power advantage.

How do you think this fight would have gone?

Torres was more of a BJJ guy than stand-up. Went to Tristar after the Bowles and Joe B fights, but results were Edmund-like. Faber's gameplan would've probably been to use power punches, speed and avoid the ground.

Torres by axe kick
YUYNDAX.gif

Faber finds Torres easy to take down and as good as he was off his back I don't think he's going to give Urijah Faber problems. Faber might have some initial issues with his height and speed, but I would have said a pretty routine win for Faber.

Torres wasn't as great as he was made out to be. Just look at his resume

A close match up indeed, although I think Tecia takes it.

I’d like to think Torres would own it with speed and flashy strikes, but I am forgetting how good Faber was at that time.

Faber all day. Torres's best chance of winning would be by submission, and Faber if nothing else has proven to be a very good defensive grappler. I just picture Faber taking Torres down over and over again, and just pummeling him inside his guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back