How would Joe Rogan do against the average blue belt?

dirtypablo

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Simple question - how would Joe Rogan fair in a roll against your run off the mill, average blue belt in 2021? Would it be competitive? Would he get worked? Or would he generally destroy most blue belts?

He's a legit black belt. But he's also a small size 54 years old guy

Good, big, athletic blue belts could give him trouble or at least make him work

I'm an average blue belt and my coach is smaller than me and he's also old. He always end up subbing me but I make him work

At blue belt most guys have some stuff that they are good at. I have a very good half guard / RDLR game against guys who try knee slides. It's not unbeatable, it's not bullet proof but I make purple belts, brown belts and black belts work a lot in those circumstances. Even more if they are older, weaker or smaller guys.

Against your average blue I’d def favor Joe barring some huge size difference.

yeah Joe’s old but he takes good care of himself through working out and pharmaceutical means

he’s also been training for a long, long time.

that being said though I don’t think he rolls much any more so he could be pretty rusty. If he is active I’d def favor him.

He's a legit black belt. But he's also a small size 54 years old guy

Good, big, athletic blue belts could give him trouble or at least make him work

I'm an average blue belt and my coach is smaller than me and he's also old. He always end up subbing me but I make him work

At blue belt most guys have some stuff that they are good at. I have a very good half guard / RDLR game against guys who try knee slides. It's not unbeatable, it's not bullet proof but I make purple belts, brown belts and black belts work a lot in those circumstances. Even more if they are older, weaker or smaller guys.

While he's short, he's also pretty stocky - probably close to 200lbs, so not that small. In either case, thanks for the feedback.

I said he’d “struggle”’in the Mayberry and this JRE fan is here to get you all to agree a 5’5 54 year old with bad knees, a bad neck, bad cardio who trains once a week is gonna cut through your average 5’10 180lb bluebelt who trains 3x a week like a knife through butter.

I said “struggle” but op’s crush on Joe is so huge he translated that to “every bluebelt would crush Joe” so now he needs everyone to tell him his hero is a killing machine.

full disclosure

While he's short, he's also pretty stocky - probably close to 200lbs, so not that small. In either case, thanks for the feedback.
Which means if he competed at Adult HW Blue he would be going against people 5’10-6’2.
So 5’5 Joe Rogan is just gonna blast double everyone at will with his shitty knees and “maul”

I said he’d “struggle”’in the Mayberry and this JRE fan is here to get you all to agree a 5’5 54 year old with bad knees, a bad neck, bad cardio who trains once a week is gonna cut through your average 5’10 180lb bluebelt who trains 3x a week like a knife through butter.

I said “struggle” but op’s crush on Joe is so huge he translated that to “every bluebelt would crush Joe” so now he needs everyone to tell him his hero is a killing machine.

full disclosure

Lol, no, you said his skill level was 'above average blue belt' and that an average blue belt would do well against him. They wouldn't. And, lol I don't even like Joe Rogan, but keep on being delusional about reality. Hell, many of the comments I've seen from people who have trained with him say he rolls like a bit of a dick, especially if he is better than you, which I can completely believe - and in fact would be my guess about how he rolls. So, no, this idea that I'm a fanboy is complete nonsense, you just seem to hate him so much you can't acknowledge reality.

Also, you've repeatedly said he has bad cardio - where the hell are you getting that?

Last edited:
My friend, who is a 10th Planet purple belt, who Eddie Bravo has called his top Ronin, has taken 3rd place in two professional grappling tournaments. He was recently part of 10th Planet's CJJ qualifiers. He told me that Joe Rogan was one of the strongest guys he's grappled with. He basically said he's a pressure grappler with strong control and positioning.

Also, for what it is worth, he tapped out Rampage Jackson on UFC Unleashed.

My friend, who is a 10th Planet purple belt, who Eddie Bravo has called his top Ronin, has taken 3rd place in two professional grappling tournaments. He was recently part of 10th Planet's CJJ qualifiers. He told me that Joe Rogan was one of the strongest guys he's grappled with. He basically said he's a pressure grappler with strong control and positioning.

No surprise here, the dude is a barrel-shaped 200lbs and has been juicing and training hard for most of his life.

Lol, no, you said his skill level was 'above average blue belt' and that an average blue belt would do well against him. They wouldn't. And, lol I don't even like Joe Rogan, but keep on being delusional about reality.
You’ve said nothing to contradict what i said besides various formulas of “I don’t know what im talking about, but I like Joe so i disagree”

BJJ is constantly evolving and Joe barely trains. If you think Joe is more in tune with modern bjj than a 20-something who trains 3x a week, you’re nuts.

Joe Rogan is 54, 5’5 and has bad knees and a bad neck. Idk how many times I need to type this before you get it through your head. I’ve done very well against blackbelts younger and better at BJJ than him when i was a blue and I was bang average.

A “bluebelt” as you want to characterize it in 2021 is not someone who knows a choke or two. The average bluebelt these days is already establishing a game, has guards they can play and know a decent amount about leglocks depending on the school.

what is Joe going to do to crush everyone? Is he good at wrestling? How is his guard? His passing? How would Joe defend an inversion or berimbolo? What’s his leglock game like? You seem to know

So Joe’s on steroids and really strong. Cool.
How does he do against most of the bluebelts? I mean the ones who actually want to train and don’t give him the star treatment

You’ve said nothing to contradict what i said besides various formulas of “I don’t know what im talking about, but I like Joe so i disagree”

BJJ is constantly evolving and Joe barely trains. If you think Joe is more in tune with modern bjj than a 20-something who trains 3x a week, you’re nuts.

Joe Rogan is 54, 5’5 and has bad knees and a bad neck. Idk how many times I need to type this before you get it through your head. I’ve done very well against blackbelts younger and better at BJJ than him when i was a blue and I was bang average.

A “bluebelt” as you want to characterize it in 2021 is not someone who knows a choke or two. The average bluebelt these days is already establishing a game, has guards they can play and know a decent amount about leglocks depending on the school.

what is Joe going to do to crush everyone? Is he good at wrestling? How is his guard? His passing? How would Joe defend an inversion or berimbolo? What’s his leglock game like? You seem to know

Most blue belts suck. Modern bjj doesn't change that. In every bjj gym I've ever been in, unless we're talking about a high level competition blue belt, when you see a black belt rolling with a blue belt, 99% of the time they are mopping the floor with them.

You said average blue belt

average blue belt is a hobbyist that’s been training 3ish years

Yes, da speet said the average blue belt would give him problems. When I tell him thats ridiculous, he responds with, well, Steffen Banta would roll through him, and somehow uses that to justify claiming his skill level is about blue belt level.

You said average blue belt

average blue belt is a hobbyist that’s been training 3ish years
I have tons of them on my team.

Joe Rogan is 54, 5’5 with bad knees and a bad neck. idk how many times i need to type that.

Yes, da speet said the average blue belt would give him problems. When I tell him thats ridiculous, he responds with, well, Steffen Banta would roll through him, and somehow uses that to justify claiming his skill level is about blue belt level.
I said Steffen at HW, the weightclass Joe would be in (forgetting he’s master’s 5) would kill Joe if he wanted and was about the Apex of what one could be at blue.

Strip away a ton of his skill and abilities, and that bluebelt still gives Joe problems. Joe would probably tap him, but he would struggle.

since i’ve typed the same thing like 20 times now, do you have any insight other than “Bluebelts suck and Joe is a blackbelt?”

I said Steffen at HW, the weightclass Joe would be in (forgetting he’s master’s 5) would kill Joe if he wanted and was about the Apex of what one could be at blue.

Strip away a ton of his skill and abilities, and that bluebelt still gives Joe problems. Joe would probably tap him, but he would struggle.

since i’ve typed the same thing like 20 times now, do you have any insight other than “Bluebelts suck and Joe is a blackbelt?”

This is ultimately all conjecture and there's no point in us responding to each other anymore, which is why I made the thread - to get the opinions of other experienced grapplers. You literally said his skill level was 'above average blue belt', which I maintain is absurd. You keep typing the same things, as if they matter - he's got bad knees? Dude, do you even train? Does anyone that trains not have bad knees, a bad back, a bad elbow and bad shoulders? Almost everyone who trains for a long time gets beat up and has bad x, y and z. You also keep making this claim he has bad cardio, but have never responded to where you're getting that from - given that he works out religiously including doing heavy cardio like hill sprints, the idea that he's out of shape is again delusional.

The more you respond, the more I get the feeling you're one of those guys who thinks modern bjj is the end all be all, and that an old school guy who slowly crushes his way through your guard 'had trouble' with you just because he didn't do some fancy pass in 3 seconds.

This is quite the shitshow.
You can’t talk to Joe’s fans (i count myself in that group) objectively about things because they take his word for everything and value his entitlements with zero context.

Drysdale said one of his bluebelts could beat Danaher in a match. It’s not outrageous to acknowledge middle aged men with injuries who don’t train consistently are going to struggle with younger people who do

Back