How would Joe Rogan do against the average blue belt?

Jesús Christ some people, he’s 54 years old, age doesn’t care about belts for fuck sakes…

He's 53 currently actually but sure 54 in a few weeks. The difference is that he's on TRT/Steroids/HGH + top of the line regenerative medicine.

Regardless, the problem is that this continually is being brought up...which is the comparison to the top 0.5 to 1% of blue belts in the country or world. That's not the question at hand, the premise is the average blue belt.

There are definitely 5 hobbyist to decent at best blue belts for every 1 "killer". And even then, that 1 competitive athlete is going to have be absurdly good, or big, or versed in the leg lock game, or some combination of this.

To make another comparison just for the slight meme, do you think Rickson Gracie would lose or struggle with the average blue belt? He is 62 years old. Obviously a far better BJJ practitioner than Joe Rogan, arguably more outdated in techniques logically, and obviously older passing a certain threshold where you don't see athletes compete at. Where as we've seen mid 40s even late 40s guys compete at the top levels - Couture, Hopkins, Brady, Vince Carter (bit younger but NBA), etc. Again we are not talking about the top levels either, we're talking about walking into the average gym and beating a blue belt on the mat.

Show me any footage of Joe Rogan rolling on the mat.

Prove to me that he ever did.

There is no evidence that he ever rolled. It's all hear say, ass kissing, and friendly associations. There's plenty of footage of him Kickboxing thought. Isn't that strange...

Last edited:
Show me any footage of Joe Rogan rolling on the mat.

Prove to me that he ever did.

There is no evidence that he ever rolled. It's all hear say, ass kissing, and friendly associations. There's plenty of footage of him Kickboxing thought. Isn't that strange...

Lol, there are multiple videos of him rolling in this thread.

Lol, there are multiple videos of him rolling in this thread.

No there isn't. There's no footage of him rolling on the mat ever. There's one of him fighting an unskilled MySpace challenger. And one where he recieves an honorary belt by his boyfriend Eddie Bravo, without rolling.

No there isn't. There's no footage of him rolling on the mat ever. There's one of him fighting an unskilled MySpace challenger. And one where he recieves an honorary belt by his boyfriend Eddie Bravo, without rolling.

No there isn't. There's no footage of him rolling on the mat ever.
There's definitely footage of him and Rampage rolling. It just isn't on Youtube. But it was definitely on a UFC special.

I don’t think that’s the case anymore, average blue belts, specially in their 20s have gotten massively better with time…
The people who disagree seem to be part-timers who are stuck in the mentality of "blue isn't even a big deal anyway"
Dude, Gracie school I just went to , white belts and newer bluebelts were a fucking PROBLEM. Older blues, meh, a lot of them were leg-locking and that's my game so I was just smash-passing and pinning, purples, competitive. Brown and Black, obviously competitive, but we were having fights in the trenches, mostly half-guard.

Whites and Newer blues there, hoo lawd, absolute scrambles.
I watched them roll with the instructor too, and he said himself "Kids are just getting so good so quick these days".

Well I meant minimal offense, but I think you're clearly the one being delusional here.

Like when you said what's the difference between a blue belt and a purple right after...I mean....dramatic? From every BJJ gym I've ever been in since the early 2000s, not saying I'm good or anything either but just as an observation and having some brain cells the difference has been fucking dramatic across every gym I've ever been to for 20 years basically.
This constant thing you do where you're like "Bro, you're a fucking idiot" inbetween every point you're trying to make is just such transparent gay bullshit lol Like bro, you're not an intellectually intimidating person and you come off like an insecure bitch to be honest, so you can save the "brain cell" stuff. I'm unironically smarter than you and no matter what demeaning shit you type you're not going to convince me otherwise, so you're just performing for yourself at this point, which is really gross and pathetic.

Anyway, I'm asking for, in your infinite wisdom, a discretion between blue and purple. Honestly asking what traits you distinguish, since you seem to know exactly what a bluebelt in 2021 is and exactly what a purple belt is, since the consensus between a bunch of you dying on the Rogan Hill is that he would cut through a bluebelt like a hot knife through butter but somehow a purple belt would present all these problems and issues for Rogan. I'm just asking what the difference would be. If your only answer is "Dramatic...(insert a variation of 'you're a fucking idiot if you disagree')" then i'm not taking you seriously. Sorry.

And if you want to know where I train so bad come shoot me a PM and we can figure it out. I can rub more than a few brain cells together and we can hit some drills sometime cupcake.

This constant thing you do where you're like "Bro, you're a fucking idiot" inbetween every point you're trying to make is just such transparent gay bullshit lol Like bro, you're not an intellectually intimidating person and you come off like an insecure bitch to be honest, so you can save the "brain cell" stuff. I'm unironically smarter than you and no matter what demeaning shit you type you're not going to convince me otherwise, so you're just performing for yourself at this point, which is really gross and pathetic.

Anyway, I'm asking for, in your infinite wisdom, a discretion between blue and purple. Honestly asking what traits you distinguish, since you seem to know exactly what a bluebelt in 2021 is and exactly what a purple belt is, since the consensus between a bunch of you dying on the Rogan Hill is that he would cut through a bluebelt like a hot knife through butter but somehow a purple belt would present all these problems and issues for Rogan. I'm just asking what the difference would be. If your only answer is "Dramatic...(insert a variation of 'you're a fucking idiot if you disagree')" then i'm not taking you seriously. Sorry.

And if you want to know where I train so bad come shoot me a PM and we can figure it out. I can rub more than a few brain cells together and we can hit some drills sometime cupcake.

Ok. All I said was there is a dramatic difference between a blue and a purple belt, which you implied there is not. You never provided any context and I'm not sure why that context would even matter that much.

I'm not comparing an average/hobbyist purple belt from 1998 to a very good blue belt from 2021.

In general blue belts get fucking worked by purples. There's a huge gap between the two. Sure there are some hobbyist purples who aren't very good but they are still better than almost all blue belts barring some rare case.

I'd generally say belts don't matter, but when you speak in generalities then they obviously do. Obviously most blue belts destroy white belts, most purple destroy blue, most brown destroy purple, and most black destroy brown / the rest easily. Back to Rogan which seems to be the part of disconnect here, yeah he started training in the 90s a bit maybe? But I think the bulk of his training is in the 2000s easily?

He got his black belt from Jean-Jaques Machado (2012). He trained with him a lot to begin with I believe. He trained at a more innovative and arguably gimmicky 10th planet with Bravo as well, so it's not like they were in the stone age with leg locks and shit. He got his black belt in 2012. So back to being generality, why would a legit black belt (or if Rogan was really even Brown or even Purple) lose to blues?

Kurt Osiander is 54 right now, Matt Serra is 47, Rickson is nearing 63. You never answered my question, do you think Rickson would lose to most blue belts? The average blue belt? 25%? 10%? Do you think Osiander or Serra are losing to blue belts? Again, obviously Rogan is not in the same class as these guys, but he is a black belt and he is strong as fuck and he is 200+ lbs on PEDs. Repeating myself, but like I said I didn't mean to offend you but not sure how else to respond when you say blue belt is ehhh basically the same as purple belt. No it's not lol.

I'm just not sure how you are coming to this conclusion unless you're enacting some Danaher sandbag fantasy where their purples are beating black belts. Even then, are the blues? And we've already beat this horse beyond death, but sure Nicky Rod and Nicky Ryan come to mind. And that's your answer...

You're fixating on that sub 1% of blue belts in the world who are super fucking sandbagged and/or world class athletes/wrestlers/BJJ artists. Or you are fixating on Joe Rogan, which I said no offense but that's clearly what you are doing and if you want to be offended about that then okay I guess. There's no evidence that Rogan is a complete fake shitty black belt to the point of fraud, as in he's a white-blue in actuality. That's the basis of your argument essentially.

Ok. All I said was there is a dramatic difference between a blue and a purple belt, which you implied there is not. You never provided any context and I'm not sure why that context would even matter that much.

I'm not comparing an average/hobbyist purple belt from 1998 to a very good blue belt from 2021.

In general blue belts get fucking worked by purples. There's a huge gap between the two. Sure there are some hobbyist purples who aren't very good but they are still better than almost all blue belts barring some rare case.

I'd generally say belts don't matter, but when you speak in generalities then they obviously do. Obviously most blue belts destroy white belts, most purple destroy blue, most brown destroy purple, and most black destroy brown / the rest easily. Back to Rogan which seems to be the part of disconnect here, yeah he started training in the 90s a bit maybe? But I think the bulk of his training is in the 2000s easily?

He got his black belt from Jean-Jaques Machado (2012). He trained with him a lot to begin with I believe. He trained at a more innovative and arguably gimmicky 10th planet with Bravo as well, so it's not like they were in the stone age with leg locks and shit. He got his black belt in 2012. So back to being generality, why would a legit black belt (or if Rogan was really even Brown or even Purple) lose to blues?

Kurt Osiander is 54 right now, Matt Serra is 47, Rickson is nearing 63. You never answered my question, do you think Rickson would lose to most blue belts? The average blue belt? 25%? 10%? Do you think Osiander or Serra are losing to blue belts? Again, obviously Rogan is not in the same class as these guys, but he is a black belt and he is strong as fuck and he is 200+ lbs on PEDs. Repeating myself, but like I said I didn't mean to offend you but not sure how else to respond when you say blue belt is ehhh basically the same as purple belt. No it's not lol.

I'm just not sure how you are coming to this conclusion unless you're enacting some Danaher sandbag fantasy where their purples are beating black belts. Even then, are the blues? And we've already beat this horse beyond death, but sure Nicky Rod and Nicky Ryan come to mind. And that's your answer...

You're fixating on that sub 1% of blue belts in the world who are super fucking sandbagged and/or world class athletes/wrestlers/BJJ artists. Or you are fixating on Joe Rogan, which I said no offense but that's clearly what you are doing and if you want to be offended about that then okay I guess. There's no evidence that Rogan is a complete fake shitty black belt to the point of fraud, as in he's a white-blue in actuality. That's the basis of your argument essentially.

Your putting too much weight on belts, it just isn’t the case anymore… man purples form these days have been riling for like 10 years or so… kids start training at the age of 8, by the time they get to “blue” at 16 they have over 8 years of training 5 times a week and lots of them 2 times a day…by the time they hit purple, those kids a savages… now if you tell me about a hobbyist blue with 2 years under his belt, yeah sure…

This all started with a simple statement - that 'joe rogan' would 'struggle' against 'blue belt(s)' - everything else coming after is just desperate rationalization heaped upon rationalization in the face of disagreement with said sentiment.

Last edited:
The people who disagree seem to be part-timers who are stuck in the mentality of "blue isn't even a big deal anyway"
Dude, Gracie school I just went to , white belts and newer bluebelts were a fucking PROBLEM. Older blues, meh, a lot of them were leg-locking and that's my game so I was just smash-passing and pinning, purples, competitive. Brown and Black, obviously competitive, but we were having fights in the trenches, mostly half-guard.

Whites and Newer blues there, hoo lawd, absolute scrambles.
I watched them roll with the instructor too, and he said himself "Kids are just getting so good so quick these days".

White belts and newer blues were a problem...

I don't get it. Why do you think some magical development in BJJ/Grappling has occurred in the past few years or so? If anything it is the leg lock game which is the one thing you meh'd lol.

Your putting too much weight on belts, it just isn’t the case anymore… man purples form these days have been riling for like 10 years or so… kids start training at the age of 8, by the time they get to “blue” at 16 they have over 8 years of training 5 times a week and lots of them 2 times a day…by the time they hit purple, those kids a savages… now if you tell me about a hobbyist blue with 2 years under his belt, yeah sure…

I started training at 10-11. Unfortunately I did not stick with BJJ sort of like the same path as Nicky Ryan minus being extremely good and dedicated (I'm much older than he is now), and came back, etc.

I understand that, but that "blue belt" only lasts for a brief time. If someone is that world class they will get to purple extremely fast from blue. No one, even Danaher, sandbags people at blue like that really (Nicky Rod/Nicky Ryan he did a bit).

Also agree that belts don't necessarily mean anything. But they do. We can't go too far to the other extreme. Obviously purple belts are going to trash white belts 99% of the time if they try. Blue belts are going to beat white belts at a massive rate too, probably 75+ % of the time easily.

The problem is what I highlighted in that quote, that is the average blue belt. The thread here was never: "Could Joe Rogan beat Nicky Rod" or "Could Joe Rogan beat the top 1% of blue belts that are also 190-200+lbs?". It was "How would Rogan do against the AVERAGE blue belt".

What you described IS the average blue belt. Isn't there some stat about blue belts quitting BJJ at a high rate, I mean the vast majority are hobbyist or not very good for that belt technically or mediocre to subpar athletically or just decent...and they are a blue belt.

That's it, average blue belt.

Strong as fuck?

White belts and newer blues were a problem...

I don't get it. Why do you think some magical development in BJJ/Grappling has occurred in the past few years or so? If anything it is the leg lock game which is the one thing you meh'd lol.
Instructionals, leglocks, more access to seminars, youtube, on and on. Past 5 years have exploded on all of those fronts.

and yes, they were. Did they tap me? Fuck no. Did they present problems that made me play smarter? Yes. Why can’t you accept this?
When is the last time you dropped in at another school?

Back