How would prime Matt Hughes fare against the current WW top 5?

Not well. He got gifted a decision against Serra. Any other striker pretty much obliterated him. And he's not gonna wrestle fuck the top guys because they are bigger and more athletic. I think he sits in the top 15 in gatekeeper status.

dude is overrated as fuck to small for the division got away with it back then b/c the sport was new hes 5'9 he would lose to all of them even in his prime 55ers now would give him trouble as shown when bj beat him

gsp is goat would treat all of them like children
Woodley is 5'9

Usman: 50-43 or possibly TKO win for Usman

Woodley: KO win for Woodley inside two rounds

Colby: 50-45 win for Colby

Masvidal: 50/50, all comes down to if Matt has the cardio to wrestle for 5 rounds. Mas would sleep him once they stood for a few minutes

Edwards: 50-45/49-46 win for Edwards. Better cardio, striking, and larger

What do you guys think? The game and division has evolved a lot since Matt’s best days
He would get destroyed by the entire top 10

I don’t think he’s the same guy that ran through the division. Not even close. Too many injuries and surgeries. He is still good enough to compete; no doubt. That said, my biggest issue with him was always his heart. He didn’t go for the finish in fights after getting finished by Serra, aside from his revenge fight. Played it safe as hell on his way to decisions and really robbed us of some awesome finishes he clearly could have gone for. Then, he comes back to an easy fight and leaves when the killers call him out. Fuck all that. It’s why I don’t place him with the GOATS.
I share 100% your opinion.
I was very disappointed the way it happened.
He had such great respect for the game, and then he comes back, picks the easiest opponent while putting a division that was on fire on hold for over a year, and even after signing a contract that would force him to unify the belt, he simply leaves the division again, basically saying "F.U." to all fighters that had to wait patiently for him.
And being even more selfish, he demands to fight the LW champion or he retires again... I mean... WTF????

So while it is great for the history books that he won 2 belts, I feel he actually devalued himself and his career as an MMA fighter.
He actually became a greedy and selfish fighter that disrespected the sport that built him.

It would be close actually
I don’t really want to debate it anymore bud. I’m not a fan really. But I don’t think it would be that close with anyone on current roster vs late 2007 to 2011 GSP. That’s my opinion. Woodley has a shot, but I have a lot of trouble seeing anyone else put up a fight.

I share 100% your opinion.
I was very disappointed the way it happened.
He had such great respect for the game, and then he comes back, picks the easiest opponent while putting a division that was on fire on hold for over a year, and even after signing a contract that would force him to unify the belt, he simply leaves the division again, basically saying "F.U." to all fighters that had to wait patiently for him.
And being even more selfish, he demands to fight the LW champion or he retires again... I mean... WTF????

So while it is great for the history books that he won 2 belts, I feel he actually devalued himself and his career as an MMA fighter.
He actually became a greedy and selfish fighter that disrespected the sport that built him.
It was a complete shit way to say goodbye. I lost a ton of respect for him because he turned his star power into a way to get a cash grab publicity stunt. He used to be the definition of a martial artist. He left looking pretty selfish.

GSP would get washed by current Top WW's

It was a complete shit way to say goodbye. I lost a ton of respect for him because he turned his star power into a way to get a cash grab publicity stunt. He used to be the definition of a martial artist. He left looking pretty selfish.

Bullseye!

upload_2019-9-4_21-2-51.jpeg

He would beat Colby just on principle. Matt Hughes has to be the alpha bully.

Hughes would be too small at WW these days, his overall grappling and submission ability I would say is better than some of the top ranked WW's of today.

You think of all fighters that GSP hasn't earned the right to pick and choose the big legacy fights that he wants at the twilight of his career? Did you really expect him to defend the MW belt against a bunch of up and comers that didn't have big names yet? What would THAT have done for his legacy? Nothing. After Bisping, the only MW fight that would've been appropriate would've been Anderson. GSP didn't need to defend that belt against young contenders without much name recognition.

Do you realize how badly the UFC takes advantage of it's fighters? Have you read some of the things Joe Silva would do, matchmaking wise, to either get fighters stuck in their contracts for no more money, or to devalue them if those fighters act like they want to leave the UFC? GSP was always a team player for most of his career, doing pretty much everything the UFC asked of him. Then the man decided to take some time off for personal reasons and did you hear Dana absolutely crapping on him at that post fight presser?

So then GSP comes back in a time when the UFC (mostly due to their own mismanagement) has failed to create more than a handful of new stars. And once Conor was out for awhile, and Ronda left, GSP was in a position where the UFC needed him more than he needed them. Are you really gonna tell me YOU wouldn't take advantage of that situation if you were him, after Dana and Joe Silva pulled all the crap they pulled with him? I certainly would. And I would have a big ole smile on my face the whole time...just like he did. :D

Last edited:
Bullshit. Woodley chokes yet again ,gets double legged on his whiny arse and gets G&P by GSP for 5 rounds. Woodley has nothing for George.
Little known fact.
Marquart went to Gsp specifically to train and gameplan for woodley.

So did Rory.

Gsp has a gameplan that ends badly for woodley.

When Woodley mentioned fighting Gsp at 185 next after bisping George TOWERING over him looking TWO weightclasses bigger,

Simply laughed, and patted him on the back and said “stick around LITTLE BUDDY “ like he was a middleschool aged fan <45>

He wouldnt do well. He was amazingly dominant for the time he fought it but with gsp and penn chasing at his heels,we all knew that even when he still had the strap he was on borrowed time against guys with such skills emerging in the div.

Matt was a monster, pounds most of them out like they were behind the barn.

And has a country breakfast after.

Hendricks is just way better than Fitch, Alves, or Hardy. Easily shut down GSPs blast double wigh an underhook.

Woodley KOs any version of GSP

TyRun got abused and embarrassed by GSP-lite lol

EnchantingFortunateApatosaur-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_n76z7tL0He1rofocqo1_400.gif

S42PJdR.gif

You think of all fighters that GSP hasn't earned the right to pick and choose the big legacy fights that he wants at the twilight of his career? Did you really expect him to defend the MW belt against a bunch of up and comers that didn't have big names yet? What would THAT have done for his legacy? Nothing. After Bisping, the only MW fight that would've been appropriate would've been Anderson. GSP didn't need to defend that belt against young contenders without much name recognition.

Do you realize how badly the UFC takes advantage of it's fighters? Have you read some of the things Joe Silva would do, matchmaking wise, to either get fighters stuck in their contracts for no more money, or to devalue them if those fighters act like they want to leave the UFC? GSP was always a team player for most of his career, doing pretty much everything the UFC asked of him. Then the man decided to take some time off for personal reasons and did you hear Dana absolutely crapping on him at that post fight presser?

So then GSP comes back in a time when the UFC (mostly due to their own mismanagement) has failed to create more than a handful of new stars. And once Conor was out for awhile, and Ronda left, GSP was in a position where the UFC needed him more than he needed them. Are you really gonna tell me YOU wouldn't take advantage of that situation if you were him, after Dana and Joe Silva pulled all the crap they pulled with him? I certainly would. And I would have a big ole smile on my face the whole time...just like he did. :D

Sorry, but I had a hard time reading your asinine excuses and justifications.

1) GSP earned a title shot after being out of the game for YEARS, in a division that he NEVER fought.
So don't cry me a sob story why he deserved so much more. He did not.

2) he picked the only easy fight he could get in Bisping.
That's why he made EVERYONE sit and wait until he was ready to fight Bisping.
If he had any fucking respect, he would come back when ready, and fight whoever was at the top of the division once he was ready. But that's not what he did.
And despite signing the contract that he would unify the belt, he ignored it and run away, demanding to fight another champion, at another division he never fought at.

So no, he is not bigger than the game, and he was actually disrespecting all other fighters from both divisions that fought hard to get to the top just to see him jump the line then leave a vacuum, demeaning their belt value.
And your poor excuse of how greedy Dana is is quite irrelevant. Matter of fact, GSP could NEVER complain about money, since he was one of the few fighters that made a lot of money in the UFC.

And the fact you would do it? Yes, I had no doubt you would. And that speaks more about YOU than helps GSP.
Because you being scum does not mean it's ok for GSP to be one as well.
You are quite irrelevant, he was not. Emphasys on was

Back