Hypothetical Showdown: Mo Smith vs. Vitor Belfort at UFC Japan

savemgs

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Okay so anybody who knows the history of the sport knows how this played out but this is a hypothetical scenario what if instead of Randy couture going on to defeat both of these men. Vitor skiped the line and got a immediate title fight against the champion Mo Smith at UFC Japan: Ultimate Japan. It's a classic matchup of skills, experience, and raw talent. The energy of the rising star against the seasoned champion. I would love to hear your opinions and analysis of this fight here's a quick tale of the tape.

Maurice "Mo" Smith:

Height: 6'2" (188 cm)
Fighting out of: Seattle, Washington, USA
Record: 7–8

Vitor "The Phenom" Belfort:

Height: 6'0" (183 cm)
Fighting out of: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Record: 4-0-0

How can you defeat a machine with no weaknesses?

c69s6pm8ksd91.jpg

Vitor would have failed miserably against Mo. His only chance would be to hold him down.

I'm not sure.

- Analysis can be used with no requirement for attribution

Vitor would have failed miserably against Mo. His only chance would be to hold him down.
I wouldn't underestimate the juiced out Vitor with good bjj at the time. He made tank abbot look like an easy fight.

I wouldn't underestimate the juiced out Vitor with good bjj at the time. He made tank abbot look like an easy fight.
He got schooled badly by Randy. Mo was a K-1 level kickboxer.

The only way Vitor would win, imo, is a quickish ko. Like what he did against all of his previous opponents. If it progressed to the 8-10 minute mark, Mo would shine. In some ways, Mo's endurance and ability to take punishment was largely unparalleled in the HW UFC at the time.

TBH I don't even know what Vitor was capable of on the ground and I don't see him beating Mo on the feat.

Good hypothetical match-up, I've never considered it before.

It's kinda tough to choose, bc there were a lot of variables at the time. Mo was already a bit older, had had many kickboxing bouts under his belt (and, obviously, several MMA bouts/tourneys). Vitor was relatively green, wasn't on the experience level, but was arguably the most feared fighter of the period, was well rounded, and idk that any MMA fighter since has had so much pop over his damn hand speed lol. A ton of folks who watched back then were high on him, and thought he'd rule the sport.

I guess I'd choose Mo, all things considered. The two glaring details that jump out at me are that Mo Smith could weather a storm, survive, and win, and that Vitor tended to wilt, if he couldn't impose his will. So long Mo lasts a few mins, I think he'd take it. Would have been a tall order, though.

Good thread, TS.

Surprised by the awnsers tbh. I think Vitor would have disposed of him pretty easily. At that point he probably could have hung with Mo even standing.

Vitor is one of those guys that doesn´t even bother Usada´s technicians. They just say: " Come one, Vitor, let´s us just look at you. Ok, you are banned."

36 year old Smith beats 20 year old Vitor.

But 36 year old trt Vitor kills any version of smith ever seen

Back