I am very unathletic and I paid for it

Kyle Stephens

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
300px-Communitive_midshaft_humeral_fracture_callus.jpg

Image from Wikipedia. Not my x-ray, but it's very similar to mine.
I was seriously scared by that new virus, but what actually got to me (so far) was a wet, slippery floor of my local gym where I went earlier this month (for one last workout before they close it). I tried to hit the punching bag with a high knee and I slipped on a wet spot on the floor, immediately lost balance and violently hit the floor. All my weight landed on my left arm. Luckily. Otherwise might hit my head or back. The result is that I completely broke my humerus bone - the long bone from the shoulder to the elbow. It was not too painful at the moment. Just when I had to move it and in the ambulance because of the vibrations from the road. The next day I went for operation, they put metal rod inside the bone to align the two pieces and locked it with screws. I am fine now, little pain, but it's very tolerable.

The reason I decided to write this thread is because I think I wouldn't broke anything (or wouldn't broke it that bad) if I was even somewhat athletic. I am the furthest thing from athletic person. I am not strong, fast, agile. At all, at all. I don't have the balace, the coordination, the flexibility... I am so sure that if I was at least a OK athlete I wouldn't get injured that bad, or would avoid getting injured at all. Combat sports fascinate me and anything else that is not in the form of a competitive game bores the shit of me. When you combine this with weak, unprepared for the dynamics of the sport body and a stupid man who sometimes rushes into things - it gets very dangerous.

I've always knew that I am very subpar athlete. And I've made numerous attempts in addressing that. But what is recommended for people in my position turned out too boring for me and I never sticked with it. So I decided to take up a sport and get into shape by doing it. But was too enthusiastic to do the fun stuff like punching the heavybag or sparring and didn't do the strength and conditioning stuff and the other workouts that a guy with zero athleticism really needs in order to develop an athletic base.
(sorry for bad english, not my 1st language)

Do some of you have a similar story?

You are being a little too hard on yourself.

You just fell. Everyone falls, but not everyone gets back up. You'll be alright, just get back up.

Thank you for sharing, TS.

I too am often guilty of diving in head first from the deep end.

I hope you heal soon. This is a bad time to be incapacitated.

Thank you guys for the support!
My plan for the future, after my arm completely heals, is to build an athletic base. No sports at all. Just drills and simple exercises. I know it will be slow and tedious process, but apparently - there is no way around it.
Better you than me I guess
For sure. I don't wish you to get through this.

Thank you guys for the support!
My plan for the future, after my arm completely heals, is to build an athletic base. No sports at all. Just drills and simple exercises. I know it will be slow and tedious process, but apparently - there is no way around it.
For sure. I don't wish you to get through this.
Haha. Get well, man. I’ve got plenty of ole injuries myself. Some will be chapping my ass for the rest of my days.

Do some judo.

No1 art from that most likely threat you'll have to defend yourself from - the ground.

How old are you?

Sorry to see this happen to you, but at least it sounds like you'll use this as motivation.

Do some judo.

No1 art from that most likely threat you'll have to defend yourself from - the ground.
To learn some Judo went through my mind in the hospital when I was thinking how to prevent this thing from happening again in the future. Probably will try it but I'll give the arm at least an year before any impact sports. The ground is a mighty opponent. Learned it the hard way. :D
How old are you?

Sorry to see this happen to you, but at least it sounds like you'll use this as motivation.
TeTe, I'm 32. Yeah, this is one hell of a motivation to start doing things the right way.
I actually was a lot reckless when I started kickboxing. Was doing stupid stuff like trying to condition my shins kicking the stiffest heavybags in my gym as hard as I can or metal poles covered with some foam and duct tape. Hitting the bag with bare hands... But quickly found out it's a stupid idea and stopped before I damage any limb. I did stupid things when sparring, but not for long. Took a lot of precautions and made my sparring sessions a lot safer.

I never really respected the floor, tho. Didn't think you can seriously hurt yourself if you fall the wrong way.
<6>

So you slipped on a wet spot in the gym and seriously injured yourself? Was the area marked off appropriately? If it wasn't, you could consider legal action to help cover your medical fees and to make sure they don't do that again.

That sounds like a good plan, bro. Before resuming any sort of training again build up & strengthen your base & your core first. Go running a lot & stretch before, during & after your workouts. Then, after you've done that for a while add in upper body exercises to your routine. Get yourself fit & strong first then go back to training.
Best of luck on healing & stay healthy.

So you slipped on a wet spot in the gym and seriously injured yourself? Was the area marked off appropriately? If it wasn't, you could consider legal action to help cover your medical fees and to make sure they don't do that again.
Macoy, the area was not marked. But I don't know if I want to get involved in legal actions. In my country these cases rarely if ever get tracktion in the court. And I have an insurance and the fees got fully paid by it.
That sounds like a good plan, bro. Before resuming any sort of training again build up & strengthen your base & your core first. Go running a lot & stretch before, during & after your workouts. Then, after you've done that for a while add in upper body exercises to your routine. Get yourself fit & strong first then go back to training.
Violent, for sure I will do all of these. Thanks!

Do some judo.

This X 1000.

Did judo as a kid and although I've done a lifetime of Extreme and contact sports I've never fell badly.

Learning how to fall is essential and it ain't anything to do with athleticism, it's to do with your relationship with the ground and how you interact with it.

My best was a full superman off a skateboard that hit a rock as I was ollying, I was about 5ft in the air and came down hard in a front breakfall on asphalt and got up entirely unharmed.

I was out of shape at 30... So I joined a gym to work on conditioning for several months before I hired a boxing trainer. I didn't want to die going right into fighting lol.

I was out of shape at 30... So I joined a gym to work on conditioning for several months before I hired a boxing trainer. I didn't want to die going right into fighting lol.

Right on. That's the way to do it.

Back