1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

I Don't Get Radiohead's OK Computer

Discussion in 'The Jukebox' started by Brom Bones, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Brom Bones Brown Belt

People everywhere say this is a great album and I don't see it. It's got one great song (Karma Police) and a bunch of weird/mellow tracks. A few of them are just OK. I've tried listening to it several times and each time, I'm left confused. It feels like the emperor's new clothes.

Someone either agree with me or tell me what I'm missing. Is it the concept of the album? If so, shouldn't how it sounds trump that. I'm thinking it's just one of those things where it's different and new (at the time) and no one wanted to shit on it because of the boldness.

DoctorDeelon likes this.
  2. MXZT Silver Belt Platinum Member

3. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

It is a great album, although personally I'm a bigger fan of Kid A. There are quite a few songs better than Karma Police imho. Let Down is the best song on the album.

Brom Bones likes this.
  4. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

It's just taste dude, I love ok computer but there's loads of canon albums I don't like.

Brom Bones and DavidsGhost like this.
  5. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

Exit music imo.

6. Satanical Eve Cro Cop's Left Leg Platinum Member

I am one of those people who can do without Radiohead. Their music doesn't do anything for me. Thorne Yorke is talented though.

What I do know is Thorn has amazing musical taste evident in Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin being his biggest influence and favorite musician. I first heard Aphex Twin in high school and it was life transforming. I never knew that a single person could create such magical landscapes with just synths and home made ones too.

This is the greatest piece of ambient music ever recorded. I love love love love Richard and everything he's produced. A fucking genius from Cornwall!. I'm pretty high right now and yeah I think some Aphex Twin shall be put on

Thom Yorke named Aphex Twin as his biggest influence, saying: "He burns a heavy shadow ... Aphex opened up another world that didn't involve my fucking electric guitar ... I hated all the music that was around Radiohead at the time, it was completely fucking meaningless. I hated the Britpop thing and what was happening in America, but Aphex was totally beautiful, and he's kind of my age too." In 2002, asked if he would tour with Radiohead, James said "I wouldn't play with them since I don't like them".

7. fingercuffs Bills Mafia Platinum Member

If I'd listened to this in the last 3 years of hell it may have tipped me over the edge.

They are so fucking depressing I might top myself.

Brom Bones likes this.
  8. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

Radiohead is childs play when it comes to depressing music lol.

fingercuffs likes this.
  9. fingercuffs Bills Mafia Platinum Member

Oh I dunno, friend of mine told me to buy Coldplay's first album when it came out which I did, and as much as I liked it I did feel a bit depressed. I love it again now though.

Radiohead REALLY depress me though, I just find he drones along. At least Chris Martin is a funny fucker. Used to love listening to him and Chris Moyes having a laugh on Radio 1 driving into work in the morning, and Extras with Ricky Gervais.

Brom Bones likes this.
  10. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

They're positively joyous compared to stuff like this imo.

11. Brom Bones Brown Belt

I got Coldplay's first album because I loved Yellow and that other song that was famous from that one. Figured if the rest of the songs were crap, there were at least two great songs. Turns out those were the only two songs I liked. After listening to it, I started calling them Cold Medicine.

fingercuffs likes this.
  12. Brom Bones Brown Belt

Yeah, Let Down is a good song. One of the OK ones I was referring to. Maybe it's one of those albums you gotta listen to more than 5 times to really get. Still don't get the hype though.

13. Brom Bones Brown Belt

That's funny, because the very last user review said something like, "It's the Citizen Kane of overrated albums." I totally agree with this guy, including Citizen Kane. I guess I'm just gonna have to chalk this up to my taste is different than most people's (outside of that one dude).

14. fingercuffs Bills Mafia Platinum Member

Gosh darn it, I'm watching TV with husband. Are you trying to tip me over? :D

Hellowhosthat likes this.
  15. fingercuffs Bills Mafia Platinum Member

I have a rock/metal persuasion but I dig Coldplay. X&Y is a fantastic album, and quite cheery compared to the first album. But yeah I can see liking Yellow.
    Like I said, I've listened to it a few times recently after 20 odd years and like it, it just did me in a bit to begin with.
    Viva la Vida is hella fun on Wii Sing.

16. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

To be honest I do think it is an album you have to listen to a few times (although by 5 times I would say you've formed your opinion). That also goes for albums like Kid A and Amnesiac, probably even to a greater extent.

17. jericksen5 Black Belt

In Rainbows is their best album. I know I’m in the minority saying that, but it’s true. It’s a god damn masterpiece.

ThereIsNoSpoon likes this.
  18. ookii Red Belt

Not one bad track(maybe fitter happier which is just a 30 sec filler) on the album at all. I find the album refreshing especially in the 90s when the era was dominated by grunge or trip hop.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    jericksen5 likes this.
  19. DoctorDeelon Yellow Card Yellow Card

I don't get Radiohead in general. Always found them kinda boring.

Brom Bones and Nameless Ghoul like this.
  20. Cantalope Black Belt

I respect Radiohead but they're just not my jam.

Brom Bones likes this.