I don't really know Motorhead... Educate Me

HUGHPHUG

AL CAPS YO
@Gold
Reaction score
I was listening to Black Sabbath this morning with fond memories of how helpful folk were in pointing me in the right direction, so I thought I'd try it again.

I'll start from the first album, but let me know what you guys think of each release, after the first couple where do I go? What should I steadfastly avoid, at what point does it stop being groundbreaking.

What do I need to look out for, any changes in line up I should look out for?

You know the routine, tell me how can I be down

@RichardPriors @Philo-Publius @bootsy @Absolut @Slick_36 @Conor_Is_Overrated

All comers welcome and appreciated obviously

Choose one Motorhead song I can listen to right now. QUICK!
The one that stands out most to me is Motorhead's cover of Ozzy Osbourne's "Hellraiser." One of my favorite songs of all time:

The one that stands out most to me is Motorhead's cover of Ozzy Osbourne's "Hellraiser." One of my favorite songs of all time:

Do you know Motorhead as well as you do Black Sabbath out of interest?

Saw them twice. First time around 2004 and then in 2006 opening for Iron Maiden and Dio.

Do you know Motorhead as well as you do Black Sabbath out of interest?
I don't. I have not dived into Motorhead like I did Sabbath. They have an album of all cover songs, that I have been meaning to pick up (the album includes "Hellraiser" above). Ace of Spades is another good song of theirs:

Maybe not what you think of when you think of Motorhead, this song is off their 9th studio album

Choose one Motorhead song I can listen to right now. QUICK!

Probably my favourite, we liked to play this one in the shop because of how inappropriate it was.
It's also based on what the band was doing on tour.

Saw them twice. First time around 2004 and then in 2006 opening for Iron Maiden and Dio.

That's wicked, you folks are gonna have to tell me what albums to go for, they did fooking loads

Listen to Orgasmatron from beginning to end... in my opinion it's their most solid and consistent album.

A few other of my favorites:
Dead men tell no tales
Bomber
Stay Clean
No Class
Love me like a reptile
Killed by death
Ace of Spades
Eat the Rich
Shut you down
Please don't touch - with Girlschool
Overkill

I'm sure I'm missing more. In terms of songs, prefer the Clark / Taylor era but they've never had a bad line-up.

Aftershock, another perfect day, Motörhead, bomber, overkill, ace of spades are all excellent albums. Ace of spades is the “classic”.

there isn’t a bad Motörhead album if you’re a fan, but some are better than others.

I met Dave Grohl at a Motörhead show in 2010- he was an giddy to see them. Slash came out for the encore. A great show.

also, this documentary on Lemmy shows what a cool dude he was and how other musicians viewed him.

I bought him a drink at the Rainbow once- which puts me in a group of about 1000000. He was a genuinely nice dude when I met him

Listen to Orgasmatron from beginning to end... in my opinion it's their most solid and consistent album.

A few other of my favorites:
Dead men tell no tales
Bomber
Stay Clean
No Class
Love me like a reptile
Killed by death
Ace of Spades
Eat the Rich
Shut you down
Please don't touch - with Girlschool
Overkill

I'm sure I'm missing more. In terms of songs, prefer the Clark / Taylor era but they've never had a bad line-up.

Aftershock, another perfect day, Motörhead, bomber, overkill, ace of spades are all excellent albums. Ace of spades is the “classic”.

there isn’t a bad Motörhead album if you’re a fan, but some are better than others.

I met Dave Grohl at a Motörhead show in 2010- he was an giddy to see them. Slash came out for the encore. A great show.

also, this documentary on Lemmy shows what a cool dude he was and how other musicians viewed him.

I bought him a drink at the Rainbow once- which puts me in a group of about 1000000. He was a genuinely nice dude when I met him

Wicked thanks, I'm gonna hunt them down and start a new journey

Motörhead, in their absolute prime. The band was even better live.

This was the lineup for the shows the band recorded for that live album No Sleep 'til Hammersmith released in 1981
Lemmy Kilmister – lead vocals, bass
"Fast" Eddie Clarke – guitar, backing vocals
Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor – drums

The records you should listen to are

Overkill - 1979
Bomber -1979
Ace Of Spaces - 1980
Iron Fist - 1982 <-- This was the last album to feature Eddie Clark on guitar as he left the band during the subsequent tour

I don't. I have not dived into Motorhead like I did Sabbath. They have an album of all cover songs, that I have been meaning to pick up (the album includes "Hellraiser" above). Ace of Spades is another good song of theirs:

Lemmy died for our sins
Lemmy bless

images

Back