I feel bad, man

Osculater

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Five years a go I had previously trained in bjj for seven months and Judo for one year. Last year I started to train in Judo again and this February I decided to start training BJJ as well. I am currently a white belt in BJJ but what I can do is probably above white belt level. Since I started training again I have been able to tap blue belts occasionally but bothing crazy maybe a collar choke or armbar. Lately, most recently, I tapped a purple belt for the first time and later a brown belt and now I tapped a black belt. Now I feel bad and not great for what I havee been able to do for I feel others underestimate me as they see me as a noob. Maybe I should be joyful but I feel bad for others who have trained longer and earned their ranking in the sport.

I hope your ego feels great!

Because you are going to quit again if it is all about beating people in training.

This is what happens when you dont smash the new guy, and let him work his stuff and give him a confidence boost. He goes online and starts threads like these.

This is what happens when you dont smash the new guy, and let him work his stuff and give him a confidence boost. He goes online and starts threads like these.
Just going to say that.

My new Judo club we did some Newaza Randori. I pair up with an older Dan 50's or so. I get a Juji Gatame that he rotates out of and I sink a Sankaku Jime and he taps....

Come to find out after training with him that day he's dual Judo BJJ BB....WELP!

Turns out he was seeing what I had for skill, which in his world is piss poor cause I love to stand and throw....

Great training partner now with tons of NeWaza coaching. He can't take great Ukemi but he's the best for flow transitional standing to groundwork dominant position and punishes me for my mistakes.

my guess is someone let you finish a sub to help you learn. Or more likely none of this happened at all.

weird flex but ok

start competing and put those skills to the test

If you are white belt younger, bigger, have a wrestling grappling background, good chance you may have tapped my purple belt ass. Conversely if you went against me as a white belt, a few years of nogi/mma from a decade ago meant most blues, some purples, and maybe even an occasional brown got surprised. Sometimes you are the hammer and sometimes you are the nail, welcome to BJJ. Leave ego out of it.

basically i use t let some guys work cause theyd complain id tap them right away and one guy started talking shit t others saying i lost my edge so i just let him have it next 2 days and told gym owner he cant train with me cause he cant get chance to work

If you are white belt younger, bigger, have a wrestling grappling background, good chance you may have tapped my purple belt ass. Conversely if you went against me as a white belt, a few years of nogi/mma from a decade ago meant most blues, some purples, and maybe even an occasional brown got surprised. Sometimes you are the hammer and sometimes you are the nail, welcome to BJJ. Leave ego out of it.

this. atm im completely out of shape like very bad and dont have the cardio to go with someone good for over 5 minutes and thats if im lucky lol blue belts atm would give me issues people dot understand that cardio is a big thing in the game too even though your a black belt if u havent trained in awhile come back u wont have the energy

Yeah, I generally don't go easy on anyone, even new guys. I DO turn down the energy expenditure though, big time - I think that benefits me anyway and helps make me more technical, and get more out of the rolls - but no way do I go easy.

Actually some of the biggest compliments I've gotten have been from newer grapplers who comment that I don't seem to be expending any energy - while I am getting plenty of sweeps, passes and taps etc. That makes me feel good.

How I role with new white belts (5 minute round)
Minute 1- smash with A game- 1-2 taps quickly
Minute 2- sweep and control- just flow from position to position
Minute 3- try whatever new move I'm working on, 1-2 taps
Minute 4-5 - Let them start in a dominant position following a tap- Then escape, sweep, sub, repeat.

The first minute is their reality check. The second and third help my game. The last two minutes allows them to get something out of the roll, and works my escapes. Everybody wins.

now that I look back and think about it I tapped my instructor with an Americana on my very first day training!

I attended a summer camp at the Kodokan about 15 years ago.
I was 4th kyu at the time.
I did randori with a brown or black belt(cant remember, 15years ago).
I tripped him within 1-minute for what would be considered ippon.
For the next 4 minutes he threw me all over the place.

I remember going pretty hard.
Lesson learned.
It is nice when higher ranks take it easy.

Five years a go I had previously trained in bjj for seven months and Judo for one year. Last year I started to train in Judo again and this February I decided to start training BJJ as well. I am currently a white belt in BJJ but what I can do is probably above white belt level. Since I started training again I have been able to tap blue belts occasionally but bothing crazy maybe a collar choke or armbar. Lately, most recently, I tapped a purple belt for the first time and later a brown belt and now I tapped a black belt. Now I feel bad and not great for what I havee been able to do for I feel others underestimate me as they see me as a noob. Maybe I should be joyful but I feel bad for others who have trained longer and earned their ranking in the sport.

mytho mytho mythomane

I attended a summer camp at the Kodokan about 15 years ago.
I was 4th kyu at the time.
I did randori with a brown or black belt(cant remember, 15years ago).
I tripped him within 1-minute for what would be considered ippon.
For the next 4 minutes he threw me all over the place.

I remember going pretty hard.
Lesson learned.
It is nice when higher ranks take it easy.
Aw man I remember those 4th Kyu days....Whole lotta pain!
Right around the time I got good at breakfalling cause I'd paired up with my buddy Rich who was 3rd and a whole level better. He's actually thinking back on it kind of the dojo hazer. Big physical guy who throws 100%/100% of the time and if you can't hang, well tough shit. Did wonders for my Ukemi but drove some people out.

He went off to Engineering school but I got back from a tendon tear surgery to help him train for his 1st Kyu promotion qualifying comps and Nage No Kata before he left.

Just reminded me of those 4th Kyu days....

Back