I left the army and got fat, need some guidance

Thanat0s24

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What are some supplements and/or diet routines any of you have used to lose ~50 pounds? I weigh 240, and I'd like to hit 190! Any ex tubsters out there with advice?? Lol

One routine that works is to turn off the TV, get off the internet, and go to the gym. To really energize things you can take refined sugar out of your diet and start cutting all the carbs.

But maybe you can just find an app.

No sugar no fried foods. Fish, chicken, eggs and veggies. Ilstart slow on running and every week add more distance. It's really that simple. No supplement is really going to help lose weight in my opinion. Have some discipline and be realistic about how long it will take and how difficult it can be. Good luck!

Get on Cronometer to track your calories/macros when you're in a caloric deficit, find any activity that you enjoy which gets you out of the house and your blood pumping(blow and hookers included), and learn to check yourself(eg How did I get fat? Why am I still fat?). You need a lifestyle change. Once you break away from old habits that landed you in this state and develop newer/healthier ones then your goals will fall into place. The hardest part is just starting for most people.

Stop posting on sherdog and start working out today, push ups, walk ups some stairs, go for a run and don't eat like a pig, getting in shape is not as difficult as people make it out out to be.

Working out helps but this war will be won or loss in the kitchen. Intermittent fasting has worked great for alot of people I know to lose substantial weight...lost 15-20 myself. It's the easiest diet to maintain imo.

Ex forces myself bro alcohol cigarettes and weed

Just stop eating shit foods and exercise of course. My ex wife drives about an hour to go to boxercize class every single day. Its literally the most important thing in her life. She eats alot of shit though so doesnt really look all that great. Diet is the key. I find that eating mostly lean meats, veggies, oatmeal, eggs and avocados works well for me. I have a cheat night typically during ufc events where I eat a ton of shit food.

What are some supplements and/or diet routines any of you have used to lose ~50 pounds? I weigh 240, and I'd like to hit 190! Any ex tubsters out there with advice?? Lol
I went from 245 to 195 in around six months, it’s not too hard to do. Track your macros for a little bit and it will just come off. I did a high carb high protein low fat for a while, then went low carb and didn’t track fat and lost a lot of weight quickly, but felt weak. Anyways, just track your macros don’t worry about specific foods just make it fit your macros. Or you could train bjj and striking and mostly eat what you want within reason. Or both and get razor abz

Nutrition is number one, eat animals and vegetables. Cut sugar and refined carbs. Drink water. Exercise in what ever form you enjoy. Ideally some form of resistance training, some low volume aerobic work and some high Intensity anaerobic work. Get 8 hours sleep. Consistency is the key. Track your weight and body measurements once a fortnight. Rinse and repeat and adjust as needed.

Do microwork outs through out the day, like getting smoked, along with your daily workout(programmed resistance program that you find enjoyable). Nothing that kills you, just 10 push ups and air aquats here and there.

Get your test levels tested, do everything possible to raise them. (ie good diet, good sleep, low stress, etc.). I recommend supplementing Testofuel once your diet is in check.

Drink nothing but water. Coconut water for electrolytes.

Along with your solid diet(that's hitting all of your macros), I recommend intermittent fasting. Don't try to be all high sped and go for 6/18 split immediately. Though as an Army vet, I think you can handle 8/16 for about a month, before moving on to something more extreme (if even needed).

Stay away from anything inorganic (not the same as organic food, I realize this isn't in everyone's budget), ie processed foods. Eat the highest quality, freshest foods within your budget.

Don't fall into the trap of wanting to avoid cardio. Do cardio daily, for about 30-45 mins upon waking if possible. Nothing as intense as you where doing in the service, otherwise you won't want to do it. If you have a HR monitor, stay within your 70% threshold for the entire session. Or you can start by just walking at a semi uncomfortable pace (think rucking). Don't actually take a ruck with you though.

Edit: WHOLE FOOD multi is your diet is lacking. Stop drinking. Results garunteed if you're honest with yourself.

@Thanat0s24

Last edited:
I went from 245 to 195 in around six months, it’s not too hard to do. Track your macros for a little bit and it will just come off. I did a high carb high protein low fat for a while, then went low carb and didn’t track fat and lost a lot of weight quickly, but felt weak. Anyways, just track your macros don’t worry about specific foods just make it fit your macros. Or you could train bjj and striking and mostly eat what you want within reason. Or both and get razor abz

I used to train BJJ, for 6 years but then the army absolutely wrecked my knees, so now bjj is incredibly painful for me, and that's how I gained so much weight. Two torn ACLS for the win. Lol. Thanks for your advice!

Stop posting on sherdog and start working out today, push ups, walk ups some stairs, go for a run and don't eat like a pig, getting in shape is not as difficult as people make it out out to be.

Haha damn condescending Batman! Look at my join date and post count, and you'll see I barely post here. And I have two bad knees from torn ACLS in both, thanks to Uncle Sam. So yeah, it kinda is hard for me

I've torn ACL's and had them repaired. Also done over 12 years in the Army.

It hurts but I run and work out.

<GOT1>

I think I read there's a gut bacteria that makes you fat and a diff gut bacteria that neutrifies that first gut bacteria.

Its been a week since you made this short post, so if you're still interested listen up.

You are in the EXACT same situation I was in ten years ago. I left the Army in May of 2008, and within a year and a half I went from 190-200 pounds to being 245 pounds.

Three days ago I weighed 187.4 pounds, and tomorrow I'm hoping to weigh in around 185. So I know exactly what I need to do to lose weight without any exercise whatsoever.

I could give you PAGES of instructions, but I have no idea how serious you are. I don't want you to pay me, I want you to start following these simple instructions first...

*Discover what healthy foods you like that are very low in sugar (preferably none), high protein, and will turn your metabolism on high. (Yes, make a list)
*Replace the unhealthy foods you like with those foods.

*No soda.
*No fast food.
*No bread / baked goods.
*No beer. (If this is difficult, substitute a few glasses of wine one a week.)

Do your own research. You'll value it more than if I hand it all to you.

If you're 240 pounds now, if you ever get below 220 pounds but find it difficult to get below a certain point, tag me in this thread and I'll tell you exactly what I've done to get down to my current weight (187) with the goal of being around 170 pounds before beginning to bulk up.

At one point I found it impossible to get below 210 pounds.

Quote this post if you read it, Thanat0s24.

Its been a week since you made this short post, so if you're still interested listen up.

You are in the EXACT same situation I was in ten years ago. I left the Army in May of 2008, and within a year and a half I went from 190-200 pounds to being 245 pounds.

Three days ago I weighed 187.4 pounds, and tomorrow I'm hoping to weigh in around 185. So I know exactly what I need to do to lose weight without any exercise whatsoever.

I could give you PAGES of instructions, but I have no idea how serious you are. I don't want you to pay me, I want you to start following these simple instructions first...

*Discover what healthy foods you like that are very low in sugar (preferably none), high protein, and will turn your metabolism on high. (Yes, make a list)
*Replace the unhealthy foods you like with those foods.

*No soda.
*No fast food.
*No bread / baked goods.
*No beer. (If this is difficult, substitute a few glasses of wine one a week.)

Do your own research. You'll value it more than if I hand it all to you.

If you're 240 pounds now, if you ever get below 220 pounds but find it difficult to get below a certain point, tag me in this thread and I'll tell you exactly what I've done to get down to my current weight (187) with the goal of being around 170 pounds before beginning to bulk up.

At one point I found it impossible to get below 210 pounds.

Quote this post if you read it, Thanat0s24.

Got it! Thanks for your reply! I've started the diet hunt, as I just found out my damn cholesterol is through the roof too.

Got it! Thanks for your reply! I've started the diet hunt, as I just found out my damn cholesterol is through the roof too.

If you're young don't worry about cholesterol. Its not like you're days away from having a heart attack.

'High cholesterol' is one of the most misunderstood term in medicine due to fear-mongering hysteria of food products in the 80s and 90s. There's unhealthy people with low cholesterol and healthy people with high cholesterol. Everyone needs some cholesterol to function.

And just because you have high cholesterol does not mean you shouldn't eat eggs. In fact if you're on a small budget (or high one, but don't want to drain your bank account getting back to 190) eggs should be your #1 food source.

I don't know what advice I could give you, except to carry over the routine you learned from the Army. Ain't no magic formula for this shit. Just stay disciplined.

LDL cholesterol still high? add beans/lentils to your diet (slowly if you're not getting much fiber now, as to avoid excess gas). oatmeal is also good, but not granola, too much sugar in it.

and i highly recommend mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. might be odd to hear, but i like it much more than mashed potatoes, and i'm someone that loves french fries with mayonnaise.

Back