I want to increase my punching power, what exercises are best?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So forget techniques etc forget timing this is purely from a strength and conditioning frame of mind.

Ive been told heavy squats deadlifts and Olympic lifts and nothing else is that good advice?

also LOL at your sig are you for real cunt?

Squat, Press, Pull, Punch, rinse and repeat, a lot!

I should mention that improving technique is probably the best way to improve punching power, especially in beginners.

If you are not a beginner and your technique is on point with the right Weight distribution, hip rotation and extension then you can start looking at weights for that extra bump in punching power.

As previously mentioned the only way to do that is to just get strong with full body workouts at relatively high weight. Just don't be expecting to punch like Tyson just from weight training.

Using the heavy bag is another way of increasing power as it offers resistance to your punches. Plyometrics are another but I think if you were ready to incorporate plyos you'd already know the answer to your question.

Copious amounts of trt.

Squat bench clean dead press as main lifts
Pull ups rows dips single leg stuff jumps throws variations of main lifts gluteham raises barbell Russian twists etc for assistance

In short train how any athlete would train to strengthen their entire body. Strength training is gpp just make sure your giving as much attention to actually practicing punches as you can.

t
Squat bench clean dead press as main lifts
Pull ups rows dips single leg stuff jumps throws variations of main lifts gluteham raises barbell Russian twists etc for assistance

In short train how any athlete would train to strengthen their entire body. Strength training is gpp just make sure your giving as much attention to actually practicing punches as you can.

I don't understand how bench press enhances power (other than having a basic all over muscular frame so you function as 1 total unit - that doesn't mean getting really good or strong at bench press or dips) I mean once you have that there is 0 point getting strong in the bench press or the dip (for striking power) because power comes from the hips and leg, never from the chest and tri ceps, of you do it with the chest muscle too etc you are throwing a really un-powerful pushy punch.

So why did you recommend the bunch press, and dips?

t

I don't understand how bench press enhances power (other than having a basic all over muscular frame so you function as 1 total unit - that doesn't mean getting really good or strong at bench press or dips) I mean once you have that there is 0 point getting strong in the bench press or the dip (for striking power) because power comes from the hips and leg, never from the chest and tri ceps, of you do it with the chest muscle too etc you are throwing a really un-powerful pushy punch.

I feel plenty of force coming from my upper body when punching.

I always wondered about the exact muscles myself. I feel like the squat has the least direct carryover for punching it is important but for other reasons. Has there ever been a study done where people measured which muscles exactly are usd for each punch (straight, uppercut, hook)
?

With a straight you feel more shoulder and triceps, with hooks and especially overhands you feel a lot more chest and with uppercuts chest and shoulder at least i feel like that.
That the core and the legs are used on every punch simply because of rotation is obvious but it feels like it's the same amount on every type of punch and the upper body feels more punch specific

I always wondered what has more carryover the press or the bench. Also how much of a difference does punching downwards vs punching upwards make?

Anyone have a clue about these things?

Addressing any weaknesses in your chain from foot to hand.

Explosive movements with no slowing down of the movement, so medicine ball throws, sledgehammer or axe work. It's learning proper technique in the delivery of force.

t

Your ability to generate force from upperbody musculature is very important for punching. While only 24% of a punches power is generated from the upper body that's still a good amount you'd leave on the table by not benching. The more Force you can generate, the more power you can generate usually. Benching and dips will help improve your hand speed. Also yes power comes from legs/hips/core primarily but you can't throw full power punches everytime you throw. There is a time and place for arm punching and guess what arm punching mostly uses? The upperbody. The jab can get power generated from the lower body but is primarily and upperbody punch. Think of it in terms like this: it would be weird for a lineman to not bench. While linemen aren't punching they still have to generate lots of pushing force in a short amount of time using their entire body. What accomplish this? Squat bench power clean deadlift and press. Idk what your line of reasoning about beyond musculature development is. There's no need to squat or deadlift once the appropriate amount of musculature would be developed but there is still a need to squat and dead. You still have to maintain the strength you have. Also neurological improvements from benching and dipping will help to improve upperbody motor patterns and make your punching more energy efficient while also more powerful.

I feel plenty of force coming from my upper body when punching.

I always wondered about the exact muscles myself. I feel like the squat has the least direct carryover for punching it is important but for other reasons. Has there ever been a study done where people measured which muscles exactly are usd for each punch (straight, uppercut, hook)
?

With a straight you feel more shoulder and triceps, with hooks and especially overhands you feel a lot more chest and with uppercuts chest and shoulder at least i feel like that.
That the core and the legs are used on every punch simply because of rotation is obvious but it feels like it's the same amount on every type of punch and the upper body feels more punch specific

I always wondered what has more carryover the press or the bench. Also how much of a difference does punching downwards vs punching upwards make?

Anyone have a clue about these things?

At least in my experience squats seem to do the most. The effects on the leg/hips/core are insanely helpful. I'm not 100% certain but if I had to venture a guess I'd say press>bench because of the greater amount of muscle mass over a longer range of motion. A limiting factor of upperbody strength is legs/hips/torsos ability to resist the forces from the upperbody and stabilize them. The bench allows more force in a more intuitive direction but limits the lower body's involvement. It really isnt 1 over the other as both are important for upperbody development. Punching down seems to generate a pretty noticeable difference than punching up both in terms of power (downward>upward) and fatigue (upward is more tiring). If boxing was an NCAA sport still the sports science side of things would be more explored based on evidence and not speculation between sherbros like ourselves lol. I'm not 100% certain with any of this but this is my best understanding of it.

Without a doubt:
-A trunk rotation exercise done explosively with a band.
-Some kind of plyo/explosive/deceleration movement for the shoulders and upper back. Kettlebell swings, land mine presses, throwing a dumbbell for distance (basically a shot put).
-scaption is so incredibly underrated for this purpose. People always talk about isolation exercises being useless when training for sport but the deltoids more than any other muscles are called upon to operate by themselves constantly in fighting. You can do regular old lateral or front raises but scaption is best of both and a safer movement for the shoulder joint. I highly recommend it.
-Trap bar deadlifts with an explosive calf raise at the top. This mimics the explosion into a punch very well.

No offense, but I disagree with this part.

Dips and bench to a lesser degree train the triceps hard. Allows you to recruit more muscle fibers and with greater neural efficiency. If squats and power cleans increase a runners stride speed/length then bench and dips will increase hand speed. I've done this myself when I started incorportating weighted dips my hands got much fast esp the jab. I really don't get why people discount upper body presses when talking about punching. The jab for example physically can't be done without contracting a tricep. Strengthening the muscles and joints in the upper body contributes to improved power/speed/injury prevention.

Back