Ian Entwistle still not finishing heel hooks....

BTW I e-mailed Eddie Cummings a link for this thread, asked him to drop in and clarify in his words the finish protocol in perspective of these gifs etc.

[email protected]

That's the address I could find for him - unless anyone has a more up to date one?

93a80f.gif

And I'm just saying, position that deep, locked in - that one tweak = a powerful finish.

Every fight had there's been a position that deep and that locked = in theory, it should probably be at least 2 more "sub of the night" performance bonuses and nothing but W's on the record.

I point this out cause I'm a huge heel hook advocate also and it's so bizarre to me this submission still not understood or taught correctly, in schools all over the globe.

Last edited:
Imanari's latest finish:

e06d8f.gif

Clearly a lateral bend of body, no torquing.

i.e. just flexing his left side Latisimus Dorsi.

Fuck it I have tried everything to Finnish a heal hook I may as well try a sharedog forum.

The Finnish is something I have invested a lot of time into but I can by no means break the leg as fast as palhares and all thoughts are welcome.

I don’t believe in excuses if I would of finished my heel hooks I would be undefeated and it is my cross to bear and there is no excuse my Finnish needs to improve and it will but one thing I will say in my defence on heel hook finnishing is like no other because unless you are a dick with your training partners (there is no way to put a live MMA Finnish on a heel hook in training)

I appreciate you guys commenting on me good and bad and I will reply to everyone who has took the time to comment on this thread.

I have no interest in winning by anything else apart from heel hooks the win just doesn’t feel right and is not of interest to me if it is not by heel hook. We all fight for our own reasons and my reason is love heel hooks.

there are so many times I have thought I have the answers to the finish and realised I don’t but how do you find out until it is time to rip your opponents knee off in competition because if you pull on peoples legs 100 percent in the gym you simply won’t have training partners. Either because you have hurt them or they think your a dick for trying to rip there leg off and ruin there career

Honestly open to suggestions because if my dumb ass can’t pick the Finnish up after asking and working with imanari and sharing the mats with Lachlan Giles and getting him to put his finish on me. Seriously open to suggestions

Love your work, mate.

Anthony Birchak, he got lucky - wasn't finishing it but in a belly down position it finished itself.

Against Liam James I know for a fact James tapped early out of fear of damaging his knee, not actually pain etc.

This one I can't explain but it's being torqued not extended or "crunched in".

A UFC level fighter would have tapped to this?

Doubtful.

He got it in competition. Give the man some credit. I haven't seen the fights, but you've besmirched the guy for getting into a finishing position and writing it off as "luck"

Surprised you made this thread today without mentioning Yoshiki Nakahara.

Nakahara went for a leglock last night, and ended up getting soccer kicked for his efforts. He won via DQ, but it really shows the frailties of the position.

Timestamped:

Lol.
Fighting not play grappling.

Reminds of the phuket dreaming video that was pumpin him up to be the next big thing. Seems like it was a bad omen to be featured on that series even though it was so bad ass.

Got nothing but respect for the fighters in the series but it must have been some kind of karma involved aimed at Boyd. He stole the whole idea, including the name Phuket Dreaming from a guy named Fletch. Fletch is a journalist/author who got the idea and moved to Thailand to fulfill a dream of documenting fighters, Boyd just stole everything from him.

Got nothing but respect for the fighters in the series but it must have been some kind of karma involved aimed at Boyd. He stole the whole idea, including the name Phuket Dreaming from a guy named Fletch. Fletch is a journalist/author who got the idea and moved to Thailand to fulfill a dream of documenting fighters, Boyd just stole everything from him.
Yeah man he comes off as a nice dude but from the sounds of it he’s a pretty shady cat.

In gif outlay,

Flex latisimus dorsi muscles (side back muscle) = side bend.

No side bend = no finish:

e4027e.gif

Side bend = finish:

03b932.gif

Side bend = finish:

cummings-heel-hook.gif

Side bend = finish:

ec0de6.gif

One can see shades of the dynamic here as well.

Setting aside Bernado's dvd sales hyperbole, Dean Lister is a man who has had a lot of success applying heel hooks on world class opponents over the course of a long career... which can also demonstrate how sometimes even a high level guy can be doing something, and having success with it, without necessarily explicitly verbalizing what it is exactly that they are doing (or even be explicitly conscious of what it is exactly that they are doing).

He frequently reiterates how the 'pull the heel across the chest' notion is wrong, but when he gets to demonstrating what he himself does, the verbalization has a sort of, 'almost but not quite' quality to it. He talks about falling strait back, but there are a lot of guys who go after outside heels hooks, that fall strait back, and fail to get a finish. What is it that is making a difference for him?

When you look closely, you can see how, by keeping the foot tight in place, it causes him to engage in a slight lat bend as he falls - bending him in on the foot, not away from it - which in turn causes the leg to undergo rotation as the hips extend. Once you explicitly recognize what is happening, you can emphasize the essence; knowing the right direction for motion, you can go even *further* into that motion, necessary for aligning yourself and the opponent's leg into a compromising position, greatly multiplying your finishing power.

Not every angle from which you can attack an outside heel hook requires you to cut an angle like this, and inside heel hooks rarely ever require it in the same way (since there, the way you need to turn the leg, and the direction of a linear extension, are almost the same direction), but it is a vital factor in the most common positions for outside heel hooks (ie, face to face), in order to accomplish what is needed to get a finish; a structure whereby multi-directional torque becomes applied to the leg itself, but no rolling force is applied to the opponent's body as a whole. Gaining a structure through which it becomes possible to apply this force to the leg, without either rolling, or allowing the opponent to roll: much the same as like with any form of leg lock.

Fuck it I have tried everything to Finnish a heal hook I may as well try a sharedog forum.

The Finnish is something I have invested a lot of time into but I can by no means break the leg as fast as palhares and all thoughts are welcome.

I don’t believe in excuses if I would of finished my heel hooks I would be undefeated and it is my cross to bear and there is no excuse my Finnish needs to improve and it will but one thing I will say in my defence on heel hook finnishing is like no other because unless you are a dick with your training partners (there is no way to put a live MMA Finnish on a heel hook in training)

I appreciate you guys commenting on me good and bad and I will reply to everyone who has took the time to comment on this thread.

I have no interest in winning by anything else apart from heel hooks the win just doesn’t feel right and is not of interest to me if it is not by heel hook. We all fight for our own reasons and my reason is love heel hooks.

there are so many times I have thought I have the answers to the finish and realised I don’t but how do you find out until it is time to rip your opponents knee off in competition because if you pull on peoples legs 100 percent in the gym you simply won’t have training partners. Either because you have hurt them or they think your a dick for trying to rip there leg off and ruin there career

Honestly open to suggestions because if my dumb ass can’t pick the Finnish up after asking and working with imanari and sharing the mats with Lachlan Giles and getting him to put his finish on me. Seriously open to suggestions
Wow. I'm a fan now. I love your attitude and your approach my friend. One thing I'd suggest is making your entries, both from standing and on the ground, as good as possible. And honing your wrestling until it's razor sharp. Strong entries are half the battle at least when it comes to leglocks, I think. But that's just my two cents. Clearly, you're a superlative grappler from just the little I've seen of you thus. You looked at the sambo leg-knot much as a control position for leglocks...? I actually never got as fluent with it as I'd have liked, but I think it's a great position for giving you more control and more time to apply whatever leglock you deign to work on from there.

Wow, crazy. I know Fletch. We used to sorta be online friends. He was a part of the KTT group that used to post on Sherdog and elsewhere. That's too bad. Can't believe that happened.

One can see shades of the dynamic here as well.

Setting aside Bernado's dvd sales hyperbole, Dean Lister is a man who has had a lot of success applying heel hooks on world class opponents over the course of a long career... which can also demonstrate how sometimes even a high level guy can be doing something, and having success with it, without necessarily explicitly verbalizing what it is exactly that they are doing (or even be explicitly conscious of what it is exactly that they are doing).

He frequently reiterates how the 'pull the heel across the chest' notion is wrong, but when he gets to demonstrating what he himself does, the verbalization has a sort of, 'almost but not quite' quality to it. He talks about falling strait back, but there are a lot of guys who go after outside heels hooks, that fall strait back, and fail to get a finish. What is it that is making a difference for him?

When you look closely, you can see how, by keeping the foot tight in place, it causes him to engage in a slight lat bend as he falls - bending him in on the foot, not away from it - which in turn causes the leg to undergo rotation as the hips extend. Once you explicitly recognize what is happening, you can emphasize the essence; knowing the right direction for motion, you can go even *further* into that motion, necessary for aligning yourself and the opponent's leg into a compromising position, greatly multiplying your finishing power.

Not every angle from which you can attack an outside heel hook requires you to cut an angle like this, and inside heel hooks rarely ever require it in the same way (since there, the way you need to turn the leg, and the direction of a linear extension, are almost the same direction), but it is a vital factor in the most common positions for outside heel hooks (ie, face to face), in order to accomplish what is needed to get a finish; a structure whereby multi-directional torque becomes applied to the leg itself, but no rolling force is applied to the opponent's body as a whole. Gaining a structure through which it becomes possible to apply this force to the leg, without either rolling, or allowing the opponent to roll: much the same as like with any form of leg lock.

Yeah, "shades" being the operative word there.

without necessarily explicitly verbalizing what it is exactly that they are doing (or even be explicitly conscious of what it is exactly that they are doing).

Another way of saying that would be, "without being explicitly cognizant of what it is exactly they are doing" - and if they're not cognizant of it = they're not going to teach it correctly.

Lister is a baby gorilla - it's makes all the sense in the world he doesn't have highly refined cognition.

So, that video demonstrates the old/wrong way to finish.

So how did Lister get so many subs via this sub?

By default of his position there, he does seem to be getting some inward hip thrust = attacking the knee.
Plus insane baby gorilla power applied to a torque - it's like a modified outside toe hold vs how a heel hook is meant to be correctly performed.

I think that's where the historical flawed ideology comes from.

Guys twist and, without even knowing it they were pushing their hips in, getting the tap - often due to reckless application - injuring their opponents, then this philosophy of "torquing to finish" and the "heel hook being to dangerous to even use in practice" and "you don't feel the submission until it's too late and your knee is trashed" came into play.

Same thing here with Imanari from way back:

He attempts initially with a torque, fails, attempts again with a torque = no tap - switches his legs into the position Lister is using in the above vid, goes belly-down, THEN gets this submission (which fucked Jean Silva's knee).

i.e. torquing = no bueno.

You can actually see in that video, the torque does nothing - but the EXACT moment (5:57) during the belly down position that his hips press downwards on Silvas knee whilst it's in that lateral position = horrific pain, damage and tapping.

As we see in his more recent vids he's refined his understanding of the sub.

Last edited:
Where looking back at Cummings again....

cummings-heel-hook.gif

The dude looks like he's out for a Sunday walk.

There's no insane-baby-gorilla power here, the dude looks like a strong breeze would knock him over, but....

Effortless, and infallible effect = correct application; simply flexing the Latisimus Dorsi = lateral posterior bend = easy tap.

No ones knee got fucked up, the opponent felt the submission coming on as it was correctly applied and controlled, not some insane torquing where "by the time he felt it/tapped, it was too late" etc.

Last edited:
e4027e.gif

I think in terms of where finishing goes wrong, this is a good example of where there's an attempt to extend thus push into the knee and attack it, but the extension is insufficient to finish the sub.

i.e. it requires the 45 degree backwards lateral bend, to get enough extension to finish the sub.

Going straight back = insufficient.

This would be due to the position of the leg at an angle, a conventional extension as per an arm/knee bar won't have the effect necessary - thus it requires lateral bending in addition to extension.

As per,

03b932.gif

Thus - 45 degrees backwards = lateral posterior = flexing Latisimus Dorsi muscle.

Looking at this closer again,

Why is regular backward (posterior) extension insufficient to finish a heel hook?

Why do we require a posterior+lateral application to finish?

Because the angle of attack into the knee is not achieved correctly with plain straight extension (as per a knee bar, by example).

c834be.gif

So here we have the regular extension, whilst NOT getting that lateral body bend of the attacker.

Thus, the direction of pressure application into the knee is insufficient to damage it - i.e. the direction of pressure is almost by passing the knee, thus not effecting it.

c35127.gif

Where as, with a LATERAL posterior bend, this WOULD be the direction of pressure into the knee - i.e. it would attack it efficiently, cause adequate damage.

i.e. the attacker must align their body with their opponents leg, to acquire adequate angle of attack for the thrust inwards to do damage to the knee.

Last edited:
Imanari demonstrates this here,

a2f0ed.gif

Showing that, to get the correct angle of attack into the knee, the attacker must form that banana shape with their own body.

i.e. they must get that LATERAL bend with their body, in addition to the regular extension - to attack the knee at the correct angle, thus do the necessary damage.

- Thus finishing a heel hook is LATERAL and POSTERIOR flexion of our own body,

i.e. we simply flex our LATISIMUS (lateral) DORSI (back) muscle.

With Ian here,

5e3216.gif

....we can see his body center line does not deviate from the straight line, no lateral bend.

Therefore, when he extends (flexes posteriorly), his angle of attack into the knee is such that it doesn't actually damage it; as the attack basically making the knee flex at its own natural angle = no damage.

c834be.gif

IF he had got the LATERAL flexion of his own body, aligning it with his opponents leg angle - i.e. such that his hip thrust aligns with the lateral aspect of his opponents knee,

e417ea.gif

....when he extended backwards, his angle of attack would have been perfect = damage = tap.

Last edited:
The last contest illustrated with body mechanics to show WHY the tap didn't happen:

eef874.gif

What he is doing here is essentially extending his hips into the back of the knee.
So he's trying to attack it at its naturally angle of flexion = of course no damaging effect.

What it was missing was,

a1d4c7.gif

If he got the rotation by either twisting or preferably lateral flexion of his own body = the extension would then have been exerted on the lateral portion of the knee = super damaging + painful.

But yeah, into the BACK of the knee like we can clearly see is happening there....?? Nothing doing.

In perspective of the Imanari finish, he starts off with his body straight, showing that he can't get a good angle of attack from that position.

I think it's easier to see, more obvious, when shown from the side on position also:

09c6a3.gif

Then bends his body laterally forming that "banana" shape, where the angle of attack into the side of the knee is perfect.

i.e. lateral bend necessary to finish:

71fd83.gif

Last edited:
Maybe this puts some perspective on the idea of "twisting"....?

But it's twisting to setup the leg position for the hip thrust, not twisting to finish.

And this illustrates that we can get that twist with our hands, but preferably by moving our body laterally - and again, the rotation does not = finish.

The rotation = the SETUP for the hip thrust into the now accurately positioned side of the knee - but it's the HIP THRUST that = the finish.

Last edited:
Lmao, I remember watching this idiot spamming leg scissor takedowns shortly before getting tko'd

Lmao, I remember watching this idiot spamming leg scissor takedowns shortly before getting tko'd
So, he's an idiot because he goes for exciting and high-risk techniques in pursuit of a spectacular finish? It's funny how things change, because about 10 years ago, people on Sherdog would hold a guy like that in special esteem.

The insults and disrespect Entwistle is getting in this thread is pretty ridiculous.

Back